What's new

Gillette Frankenfatty Pass-around

Nope. No Feathers let. I have some in the den but they don't seem to agree with my face.
Shave #3 went very well tonight. Here is a pic of the setup:
$image.jpg
I stayed with my regular two pass and touch up shave. I'm really beginning to get comfortable with the Fatboy. The "5" setting seems to just about right for an everyday shave. The Voshkod blade performed very well. I seem to get a very enjoyable DFS with no irritation. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave with the exact same setup.

That's funny. I tried a Voshkod and after two shaves, I didn't feel it was a good blade for me. I felt tugging and jumping both times. I went back to Feathers and set it at 7 for the first pass, 5 for the rest. If I went 24 hours instead of 36 hour intervals, best results are start at 5 then 4 for the last 2 passes. 3 for any touch up that was missed before.

It is wild to think not long ago, Frank was in my hands slaying the greying beard that only two small kids can induce on a 35 year old.

Nick

Yeah, my ideal interval/gestation period is 36 hours, also. But I figure since I only have a week with Frank I would shave every day. Usually I use my triangle holed Contract Tech for everyday shaving. I find it mild yet effective. Frank set to "5" seems to be quite similar.

I feel your pain with the greying beard. I'm 39 and my four year old has added a lot grey to my beard. I think he's also contributed to thinning scalp hair.:lol:

5 seems to be the manic number for me too, but with Feather blades.
As for greying beards, I am starting to get a few, on the chin, and they are definitely wirery. I shouldn't complain, I just started to get a few Grey's around the temple, last year, not signs of hair thinning, and I am 50.

I didn't have to time to post yesterday due to busy nightshift. Yesterday's shave was #4 with Frank and it went quite well. I used the exact setup from day 3 and had very similar results. I am starting to notice that Frank has a quirk. The side with the door issue seems to be a slightly milder shave. I found my self turning the razor more frequently to find the "good side". It may just be a perception thing based on the visual difference with the door issue. I will try Frank again tomorrow and see how it goes.
Today I used my very own Fatboy for the first time. Thanks to Captain Murphy again for the excellent refurbishment. The results were fantastic. There was no real difference between it and Frank. They feel exactly same in hand.
Here's a pic of today's setup:
$image.jpg
Tomorrow I will give Frank a go on a slightly higher setting. Maybe 6 or 7. I'm also gonna try a Permasharp Super blade. I'll post my results tomorrow.

I didn't have to time to post yesterday due to busy nightshift. Yesterday's shave was #4 with Frank and it went quite well. I used the exact setup from day 3 and had very similar results. I am starting to notice that Frank has a quirk. The side with the door issue seems to be a slightly milder shave. I found my self turning the razor more frequently to find the "good side". It may just be a perception thing based on the visual difference with the door issue. I will try Frank again tomorrow and see how it goes.
Today I used my very own Fatboy for the first time. Thanks to Captain Murphy again for the excellent refurbishment. The results were fantastic. There was no real difference between it and Frank. They feel exactly same in hand.
Here's a pic of today's setup:
View attachment 530048
Tomorrow I will give Frank a go on a slightly higher setting. Maybe 6 or 7. I'm also gonna try a Permasharp Super blade. I'll post my results tomorrow.

The green microfiber cloth is a nice touch but you better check with Cap for trademark infringement issues!

Frankenfatty arrived today.
When I opened the package, I thought, geez, I don't remember ordering a beat up fat boy. Then I saw a speck of green , under the TTO dial. I then turned it over and saw the rounded nut, on the bottom of the handle. Frankie!!
Upon inspection, Frankenfatty is again proving to be troublesome. The doors are not shutting completely, and the handle is once again turning inside the head. Also, little is left of the paint.
He will be in rehab, until I can figure out how to fix the doors, as well as permanently fixing the loose handle.
Any suggestions for the fix?
Captain Murphy, any ideas???

Glad he made it, Sir. It sounds like he endured some normal wear and tear, which I expected for this first round. As far as those issues go, I am not entirely sure they will ever be permanently fixed, to my satisfaction anyways. This razor has suffered previous attempts at disassembly as we have seen with the crushed barrel, the one door had a cracked ear, the T-bar had a bent hinge post that had to be fabricated, and the parts are from two separate years.

Needless to say, this razor has been through a lot. My experience with this particular razor has shown me that the "normal" adjustments that I make on the fatboys that come in are simply ineffective as this one is such a Humpty Dumpty setup. The fact that the handle is still turning inside the head tells me that we either have a worn out collet or a worn out base plate shaft (likely both) so the parts simply aren't working as intended by the designers. This of course could also be a result of the parts swap, who knows.

My only suggestion on fixing this thing again would be to find a replacement door as that one with the crack is not only cracked but tweaked as well. This is likely the reason for the large gap when the razor is closed. Also, I suppose one could find a replacement collet or shim the base plate shaft so it was a tighter fit. Lots of work for a safety razor...

Let this poor worn out girl rest. She deserves to live out the rest of her days as a show piece with the occasional run in the lather.

At least I get to say I used her before she was done!

This is begs the question now......does she get fixed and continue the days of mowing down pastures or do we put the FrankenFatty to pasture for the remaining days as a relic?

nick

Yep, he will be shelved. All issues could be fixed, by welding or fabricating, except the handle. I could use it as a parts razor, but Franky deserves better.
New paint and a little buffing, then put up.
For some reason there is a faint sound of a bugle playing in my head, "Taps".

Last edited:
Hi All,
I was as gentle as I could be with our beloved Frank. I'm glad he made it home safe and sound. I was getting the feeling that the door gap seemed to worsening over the week of shaving. I may be at fault for some of the paint loss with a little to aggressive cleaning before sending him home.:blush:
A retirement seems like a fitting end. I'll throw down a couple of glass of rye whisky later today in his honor.

Not a big deal, with the paint. It was somewhat fragile anyway. I might try roughing up the surfaces where the handles come together, then try gorilla glueing them together.

Perhaps the plating made the surfaces to slick, to allow the handle to stay attached well.

Top Bottom