What's new

Gillette 1960 F-4 Toggle

Just received a toggle and question of the day? How does it work? When I flip the toggle are the doors supposed to open directly or do you have to do something else?
I looked at the toggle directions (Thank you Mr.Razor) and it appears that you flip the toggle and the toggle moves up coming into contact with the shaft. This one does not move up. Do I have a stuck toggle (Insert bad pun here) or am I just missing something? How can these be loosened up. The adjustment mechanism appears to work and all "clicks" are solid and overall the razor is in great shape.

It works like a two step process:

• Twisting counterclockwise from the side, the toggle on the end initially rotates from the cup at the end of the handle; this should loosen the doors so they rattle and the bottom of the toggle should be in the 4 o'clock position.

• Continue twisting the toggle fully so that the bottom of the handle is flush against the side of the toggle itself, which will put it between the 2 and 3 o'clock position and the doors are completely open.
If that doesn't work for you someone else will have to step in, as I have no experience with taking one apart.

If there is a space between the bottom of the handle and the toggle after you have rotated the toggle to the 'open doors' position, push the toggle towards the razor head to close the gap. There is a spring in the handle that is supposed to do this automatically, but yours may be bound up. Hopefully it's just old cream and hair, and a good cleaning will free things up.

Sorry Chris, no "proper disposal" needed. It was a slightly bent bar, a scary few minutes with a set of pliers and all is good. Thank you for the responses. Mitch, your explanation of how to open a Toggle should be added to the Wiki! It did open as you said, and as I thought it should have and is very smooth mechanically with no gummy stuff. Crisis diverted:w00t:
Ken

Top Bottom