What's new

Gem 1912 JR....

So I got curious and ordered one of these the other day. It was 9.99 or best offer. I got it for 7.5 with free shipping. What are some good blades to use with this razor? And where can I get them? I really do not want to get a 100 pack just yet.

come to think of it, I think I may already have a 1912 sitting in a drawer in my fifth wheel in NH. I will have to go look tomorrow.

Ho do you like the shave cfriend?

Of the blade, or the razor? The blades I mentioned are the only SE blades I've ever used, and the Micromatic is the only SE razor I've ever used. It is because of this I find it hard to comment :tongue_sm I will, however, be receiving some Trig SE blades soon and will compare them to the Gems and let you know what I think.

The Junior is the same head as the venerable 1912. The shave is out of this world.
IMO it is the best saftey razor that I have ever shaved with.
Only the Gillette New and New Delux that I have even come close.

You get wonderful audio feedback. and one of the closest shaves that you can get from a saftey. Just remember to let the weight of the razor do all the work. The angle for SE's is a bit different than DE's. Lay the razorhead flat to your face and slowly increase the angle untill you hear little hairs being cut. :w00t:

Truly a wonderful shaving experience.
enjoy

the JR and the 1912 are the most phenominal safety razors ever (Maybe the Lather Catcher also) and the trump Gilettes in the Go nads (Imo), so ordering a large amount of Blades from GEM by Personna or Ted Pella may be a wise investment. I have never met anyone who has been disappointed in buying a lot of blades for their GEMs, they just outstanding razors.

the JR and the 1912 are the most phenominal safety razors ever (Maybe the Lather Catcher also) and the trump Gilettes in the Go nads (Imo), so ordering a large amount of Blades from GEM by Personna or Ted Pella may be a wise investment. I have never met anyone who has been disappointed in buying a lot of blades for their GEMs, they just outstanding razors.
+1000.:thumbup1::001_smile

The 3 on the left are 3 different micromatics.
An open comb, a clog pruf, and one with a regular safety bar.

proxy.php

I got my brass 1912 Gem Junior today. It was in great shape. I broke out the Blue Magid and now it looks like new. Shines like a diamond in a goat's ...! I also have a brass micromatic and a featherlight. The micromatic is much more agressive than the 1912. The featherlight is inbetween.

Amishmotorboat,
What is the Gem in the blue case in this pic? I saw one in an antique shop today which looked bright and shiny chrome? Your pic has the identical handle. This one I saw was in a smaller case (also blue lined) and looked as new as yesterday. $27
I can be dangerous when befuddled. Thanks if you can help with an ID and tell me if it is OK to shave with.
Dave

Dave,
Many thanks for the info. I am torn. Is $27 a tad high? I may have been bitten by gotta-haveit-now bug. I have looked on EBay and don't see one as appealing to me. I know all is in the eye of the beholder but the one here in town looks like it was made yesterday. Stumped and not liking it.
Dave

Well $27 is more than I paid for mine, but then again I feel like I got a fantastic deal on it, 8.65 shipped on ebay. I would have paid a lot more for it. It is just like the regular 1912's, even has the same patent number, but the profile of the head is a little lower.

Last edited:
Now there's a bucket of cold water - maybe a good sobering up is what I need. Think I'll await Monday and go look at it again. Thanks!
Dave

I don't mean to discourage you. Gems do go pretty cheap on eBay, and I lucked into a good condition one at a steal of a price. But if you look at it another way, like, would I part with it for $27 and the answer would be no, so it may very well be worth it for you to grab that one you found.

Dave,
Many thanks for the info. I am torn. Is $27 a tad high? I may have been bitten by gotta-haveit-now bug. I have looked on EBay and don't see one as appealing to me. I know all is in the eye of the beholder but the one here in town looks like it was made yesterday. Stumped and not liking it.
Dave

i guess its up to you. personally id pay that amount for one if it was as nice looking as the one pictured, but to a lot of people on here thats probably alot considering the prices that most gems go for.

If I pull the trigger, gulp!, I'll post a picture. It's about time I learned how to do just that anyway. We''l see what Monday brings....................
Thanks again for all your help,
Dave

Top Bottom