What's new

Funky meerschaum smell

The entire thing smelled like a bay during low tide on a hot summer day. The pipe was pungent.
Glad to know it does go away eventually lol. What blends did you smoke through it primarily? I've been sticking to latakia stuff to keep the stink hidden lol.

Glad to know it does go away eventually lol. What blends did you smoke through it primarily? I've been sticking to latakia stuff to keep the stink hidden lol.
I just used blends that I had around but wasn't a fan of. I knew it was going to taste bad, so I figured why bother wasting good tobacco?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Maybe a little time in a closed space with an ozone generator would do the trick. Car detailers use them to eliminate nasty smells.

Maybe a little time in a closed space with an ozone generator would do the trick. Car detailers use them to eliminate nasty smells.
I'm not sure where I can find that. Not sure if I want to ship it out for anything yet. Got some stuff I'm going to try when I get time.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just throwing it out for anybody. On my route back and forth to work there are about 6 detailing shops. Just did a google search found Walker Pipe repair who apparently do an ozone treatment on all the pipes they work on.

My fallback position would be in a small space with a dish of white vinegar or maybe a tin of coffee.

I've got some activated charcoal that I may experiment with. From what I read it can absorb and remove odors as well. We shall see haha.

Another issue has reared its head with the pipe lol. When removing the stem, pipe completely cool, the tenon came unglued from the stem.... I can epoxy it back. Seems like I can't catch a break with it lol. I'm hoping this treatment with the charcoal will reduce or eliminate the stink. If not then its back to the drawing board or just smoking it out.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have absolutely no idea if this would work, but I'd try warming up the bowl (no stem) and a small Mason jar up to about 150 degrees, and place some activated charcoal or baking soda in the bottom of the jar. Seal and let cool, a vacuum would occur. Let it set for a few days under the vacuum, perhaps that would draw out the funk. You would possibly need to rewarm slightly to open it up? Try at your own risk.

I have absolutely no idea if this would work, but I'd try warming up the bowl (no stem) and a small Mason jar up to about 150 degrees, and place some activated charcoal or baking soda in the bottom of the jar. Seal and let cool, a vacuum would occur. Let it set for a few days under the vacuum, perhaps that would draw out the funk. You would possibly need to rewarm slightly to open it up? Try at your own risk.
I tried something kinda similar the other day but without the jar. I filled the bowl with activated charcoal and baked it for around 45min at 170 ( the lowest my stove went). I'm not sure it did anything. I swabbed out the bowl and have been letting it dry. It seems to have possibly lessened the smell but I'm not certain until I get the tenon glued back in and smoke it. I may do the warming treatment again but this time for longer and with some of the charcoal around it as well. Got a bigger jar of it yesterday to experiment lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried something kinda similar the other day but without the jar. I filled the bowl with activated charcoal and baked it for around 45min at 170 ( the lowest my stove went). I'm not sure it did anything. I swabbed out the bowl and have been letting it dry. It seems to have possibly lessened the smell but I'm not certain until I get the tenon glued back in and smoke it. I may do the warming treatment again but this time for longer and with some of the charcoal around it as well. Got a bigger jar of it yesterday to experiment lol.

I would think that pulling a vacuum would make a major difference. I would use a jar large enough to lay on its side so that there would be a larger surface area of spread out charcoal than if it were left upright.

I would think that pulling a vacuum would make a major difference. I would use a jar large enough to lay on its side so that there would be a larger surface area of spread out charcoal than if it were left upright.
I may see if I have enough charcoal to just cover the stummel lol

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think that having a large surface area of charcoal in the vacuum sealed jar would be more important than actually having any inside the bowl or covering the stummel, the idea being that the larger surface area would more efficiently absorb any off-gassed funk.

I would think that having a large surface area of charcoal in the vacuum sealed jar would be more important than actually having any inside the bowl or covering the stummel, the idea being that the larger surface area would more efficiently absorb any off-gassed funk.
I'll see what I have laying around. A quart jar will probably be the largest I have. I'll give it a try. The pipe seems no worse for wear from the first bake in the oven. It certainly amped up the smell when warm too. Got a huge whiff of the smell each time I opened the door to check it lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think a quart jar would be sufficient. I'd put the pipe bowl and charcoal in the jar, put the whole thing in the oven on its side, with lid off of course. Take it out hot and immediately seal it up. Leave on its side for the duration of the de-funkifying process. Again, I've never done this. Proceed with caution , at your own risk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom