What's new

Found another hone. Need help

Yeah, I'd say they're all more than likely the same stone, which is the same type as yours, which most people call a vosgiennes.

Thanks for all the links Sebastian. I found Neil's diagram and tombstone shots as well. From all this, I'm inclined to think I have at least one Welsh stone rather than Vosgian. A bummer for me...

So after reading all the threads again i have the following interpretation for me for future stones if these appear....

1. Types
when we talk about these purple stones with green inclusions we have two kind of slate alike hones. A Vosges/Vosgesienne/Vosgienne (aka Brown Thuringian) with its origin most likely in france....and a Llyn Melynllyn (aka Yellow Lake, Branded as Salmens Oil Stone, Genuine Yellow Lake Oil Stone, etc.) in thinking that the older and branded ones are mostly in darkgray/black colour.

2. Inclusions
The green inclusion on both kind of stones are totally different. For the purple Llyn Melynllyn as Neil Miller mentioned in this thread (http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/77212-help-id-natural-hone.html, see Post #39) we have round or squashed oval green dots...depending on the pressure which worked on the slate these look different in Size and seems to move along veins in the stone...

Talking for Vosges we have a lot more green spots (no round dots or squashed oval spots). The spots look more like bigger and smaler flakes and depending on the layer which is on the flattened or working side of the stone we might have some bigger areas where more particles of the green material is visible (f.ex. the corner of the stone i posted) also the purple parts of the stone have different areas where the purple is sometimes darker or sometimes lighter looking like a patchwork...

Also there is a second variant known which was posted by Sham and which you own Alan...a glassy like brown stone with green inclusions and hairline cracks like a flash running thru the stone....

3. Hardness
The Yellow Lake in my thinking a softer Stone (i own two, a purple and a blackgray one)....

The Vosges is very hard to lap comparable to a CF, probably not that hard but quite in near distance

4. Honing characteristics
The Llyn Melynllyn is a finisher as the Vosges is, both are fine....the Llyn Melynllyn near or quite above 10k, but my thinking is that the Vosges could reach the 15k for shure in the thinking that natural stones are not really comparable...but i think its finer...then the Llyn Melynllyn...

Additional to this the Vosges is a fast cutter and i tend to say...after using the Llyn Melynllyn try 20 Laps with oil and the scratch pattern should be further more refined....

So this is my rule for these stones so if any there are any other comments or personal experiences i would appreciate if these are posted....

Also i would appreciate if you would post your Stone here Alan...if you did not already...!!

Last edited:
Overall, that sounds good as a provisional definition to me Sebastian. The one I own with the "hairline cracks like a flash through the stone" (the other stone is in France, so I don't have access to it here) seemed relatively easy to lap although it is very resistant to oil. But the green markings are pretty "Welsh-looking" to me now. The other stone like it that you mention is owned by Modine, rather than Sham. The green markings there are more irregular, and there is a hint of red on one end, on the side.

The sense I get from your supposed vosgienne is that there are hints of red-brown throughout, and that this is irregular, in addition to the irregular green inclusions. kcb's seems a more uniform brown-purple color with the black spots recalling that other "Lune"-like stone you made a video of, as I recall. My stone with the "flash" marking is a very uniform brown-purple, with the "flash" markings probably being sedimentary layerings cut at an off angle. That said, I think it's got to be Welsh.

I am bumming. The only consolation I get from this is that from your and kcb's stones as posted here, I have a better idea of what to look for in the future.

Last edited:
This hone is absolutely littered with irregular green blotches of all sizes throughout. More than the camera is successfully showing. It will be interesting to see what it is capable of. Final lapping was with a deadened piece of 2k on some light slurry coming off the stone. It feels incredibly fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, look for a roughly 6x2" hone littered with about 400 gashes from a maniac complete with a green blotch, you may be rewarded.

I miss when the simpsons wasn't all inside jokes writers just sock in to amuse each other... Well, he actually knows what he is doing so if it is great or rubbish to use his opinion should be weighed. Plus, he is practically next door so why not?

Last edited:
He's modest.. (he puts wonderful edges on blades...) It's about quality, not quantity! You should have that tomorrow, I'm guessing.

The verdict:

IMO, your hone it a Vosgiennes, I have seen and tested several and I'm confident with this designation.

I finished two razors with it, a CMon and a half-hollow W&B. The resulting edges are solid mirror finish and HHT 4+ before stropping. Unlike the Welsh stones, your hone has almost zero feedback, not for a novice. I tested it with slurry on another razor (Dovo) and it cuts fast for a hone this hard and very fine.

Yeah great verdict and i can totally agree on these findings....as earlier mentioned here by Slice and me...

Congratulations there are not beeing around like sand on th sea :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom