What's new

Fly Tying

The last few days the trout at my local reservoir have been obsessively feasting on tiny fry, so I tied some size 10 standard shank imitations.

Pinfry.JPG

I got intrigued at the concept and just took in a pack of Pistol Pete’s Stealth - #10

Looking forward to trying these before too long on an ultralight spin setup using a 1/4oz waterbobber

Some really nice flys up in here !

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some beauties. :blush: Making some poor ones as a child, from a kit someone gave me, is still a happy memory.

Not sure if they ever caught any actual fish, though. :lol:

AA

Here's a dressing that took 6 rainbows yesterday. From 2lb to 2.5lb. All released to fight another day
2 in 2 casts, and I'd have had a third in 3 casts if it hadn't fallen off after a couple of seconds!

I very simple generic Mayfly Nymph pattern, meant to be fished just sub-surface, at a reasonable pace, to mimic the nymph about to hatch.

Hook: Kamasan B830 #10
Thread: Uni 8/0 Rusty Brown
Tail: Male pheasant centre tail fibres
Rib: Medium brown sewing thread, doubled
Body/gills: Seals fur in roughly the following ratio: natural/light olive/claret 70/25/5. Slightly thicker at thorax & picked out along sides, and trimmed above & below
Wing cases & legs: Male pheasant centre tail fibres

MFN.jpg

Another 6 RB trout caught & released today at my local reservoir, but it was quite hard work.
A modest hatch throughout the late morning/early afternoon and the fishing picked up around 2pm.

I had 1 on the lightweight Mayfly Nymph, and the other 5 on a new dry I was testing, which sits lovely & low in the water

Paraloop Vulgata Dry
Hook: Partridge K12ST #12
Thread: Uni 8/0 Tan
Tail: Male pheasant centre tail fibres
Rib: Yellow sewing thread
Body: Olive & natural hare 50/50 mix
Thorax: 50/50 mix fiery brown and medium olive seals fur, picked out a little underneath
Paraloop post: Brown flexi-floss
Hackle: Olive
Wings: Dyed olive mallard flank fibres tied semi-spent (Catskill-style)

MF1.jpg
MF2.jpg

Top Bottom