What's new

First Impressions: The New Muhle Toothcomb R41

Huxley, how is the curve of the blade when loaded? And does one need an extreme angle when using this?

There is nothing wrong with an agressive razor. Some guys with very tough beards need them. But the logic here seems to be "if you are an experienced shaver, you can move up to an aggressive razor". That logic is wrong. A really good razor is one that can be used by anyone. The advanced shaver will need fewer passes, will experience less burn, and will be less likely to bleed.

I think I know what you want to say but I respectfully, and totally, disagree. Thanks to some designers and makers of stuff 'not for everyone', and that is not just for razors, we all get a wider choice and more people have a chance at finding the perfect tool for them. We are all different; skin, hair, the way we want our razor to behave and the skill with which we master our stuff. I can't say anything yet about the newest R41 but the older Fatip one was a relevation for me. An aggressive razor is a razor where the user decides the shave, once he mastered it, and a mild razor is one where the maker sets the limits. I have no problems at all with mild(er) razors as long as they can let me shave the way I want but mastering a more aggressive one gives me a free hand.

Reading back I really think I need one of these.... :)

Last edited:
At least Muhle is developing new designs. In the past two years we have them to thank for two innovative new razor head designs as well as two separate synthetic shaving brush fibers. And they actively share these designs with others. Considering they are a very small company as it is, I think we should be applauding them for embracing wetshaving the way they have. It's more than Gillette has done in the last 25-30 years.

At least Muhle is developing new designs. In the past two years we have them to thank for two innovative new razor head designs as well as two separate synthetic shaving brush fibers. And they actively share these designs with others. Considering they are a very small company as it is, I think we should be applauding them for embracing wetshaving the way they have. It's more than Gillette has done in the last 25-30 years.

Amen!

Huxley, how is the curve of the blade when loaded? And does one need an extreme angle when using this?

@Kevan - Okay if I chime in?

I checked the curves; they are different, very different.

This is the R107, the white R89.
proxy.php

This is the R102, the white R41.
proxy.php

I tried to make pictures but it is 1 AM now here, so that did not work.
If you like, I can make some comparison pictures tomorrow.

In the R41, the curve is flatter than in the R89.
You can see from the heads that the R41 type is flatter, more horizontal than the R89 types.

Still, the angle to the face is IMHO quite normal.
I did not adjust my technique in such a way that I really noticed it.

The feeling is that of a straight razor, you can really feel the blade on your face.
I found it scary for a second, and then shaved like the normal routine.
In fact, quite comfortable. But as said, it is close and direct.

Last edited:
Thanks Wim. :)

When I first saw pics of this, it looked like it held the blade in a more horizontal, less curved way as you note. I likened it to a Feather All Stainless and wondered if like that razor, the Muhle requires a steeper angle (as Muhle themselves say "special angle"). But I'm glad that you say that you didn't have to adjust your technique much, which suggests to me that shaving with this is somewhat similar to a Slant. Just careful around the jawline and chin/lip areas.

My pleasue.

You refer to this quote on the Muhle site?

Due to the principle of its construction, which features a special blade angle, the new model allows a vigorous, very direct shaving technique.

I think Muhle here refers to the blade angle in the razor, and not to the angle to the face when shaving? (Hope I made myself clear - I apologize beforehand for my limited English, as I am not a native speaker).

So, the blade would be more flat and exposed, leaving the shaver with a much more direct shave.

Holding my breath for a Muhle slanted version of this head, not hard on the eyes for sure, isn't it?

Feel free to e-mail them
[email protected]

I did, and I hope if enough enthusiastic users make the request then maybe they will consider it a priority. Here's the reply I got.

hank you for the enquiry.

It is not in the pipeline right now but something to think about for the future.

best regards,

Christian

Yes, we need to keep asking them. They listen. I have nothing but good things to say about their communication, customer service, and willingness to help out.

If enough of us email them about a Slant, we'll probably see one within a year.

If enough of us email them about a Slant, we'll probably see one within a year.
I'm having a rough time envisioning a razor that combines OC and slant geometries. Is any such model in current production? If not, which were the old ones?

Reading this review just confirms me in my aversion to modern razors. So Muhle has created an extremely aggressive razor - so what? Anyone can produce the same effect by getting a slim or fatboy and cranking it up all the way. In my view, the true art of razor design lies in creating one that shaves well in the hand of expert and beginner alike. The finest Gillettes are like that: Tech, Rocket HD, #16. And numerous vintage non-Gillettes as well. For a manufacturer to warn users that their new razor requires special precautions is to simply admit that one is selling a badly-designed razor.
The R89/DE89 is all you are describing, a great overall razor for beginners and experienced shavers also.
This open comb is for another public (sure not for everyone), people with tougher beards and who prefer more aggressive razors.

At least Muhle is developing new designs.

I don't know in this case... I think the design owes a lot to the Eclipse Red Ring. The nice thing about this razor (and Muehle in general) is that they are offering a nice variety from which to choose and their quality is unsurpassed.

I'm having a rough time envisioning a razor that combines OC and slant geometries. Is any such model in current production? If not, which were the old ones?

Here's one, probably bakelite and supposed to be German war-issue from the 1940s. I find it daunting, and I have yet to shave with it.

Attachments

• $WWII slant - 2.jpg
    $WWII slant - 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 512
And here is a cut and paste from Jake of his Fasan... but this particular Muhle head would be even better in slant form due to it's safety bar/open comb morph.

This Fasan
proxy.php
slant is no gimmick. I never much liked the new Merkur slants but have enjoyed using this light weight razor & the slant makes for a remarkably smooth close shave. It's made me into a believer.

And here is a cut and paste from Jake of his Fasan... but this particular Muhle head would be even better in slant form due to it's safety bar/open comb morph.
I didn't really state my question quite the way I intended. The Merkur slant has an expanding gap between the blade and the safety bar. The two slant OCs illustrated above appear to have a constant gap. If that's correct and Mühle is being petitioned to produce a slanted version of their new 41 OC, do we mean the illustrated style or Merkur's. (Please note the parallel discussion about that design detail in http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/236911-The-Slant-a-gimmick.)

I'd take whatever style slant Muhle would design, I was just providing a pic of an open comb slant that you were requesting to see. I'll cease my slant dreams in the better interest of not hijacking this great review.

Last edited:
Top Bottom