What's new

First Impressions: The New Muhle Toothcomb R41

So, today was the big day.
My new Muhle tooth comb razors arrived.

And that calls for a shave of course. A nice one and a half day of stubble, the old QCS No.3 and a Semogue LE Silvertip and the all new R107 - which is the R41 with a white handle - and I was ready to go.

The moment I put the blade to the face I realized this was going to be not another shave. I should have been warned, as this is what Muhle themselves say:

The safety razor with an open tooth comb has been developed specially for practised wet shavers. Due to the principle of its construction, which features a special blade angle, the new model allows a vigorous, very direct shaving technique.

You can feel that there's a lot of blade gap and exposure.
In fact it felt like a straight razor on my face.

I instantaneously decided to put proper attention to angle and low pressure.
As a reward, I got the best two pass ever.
No nicks, no cuts and very, very smooth.

Finished off with some Bay Rum to see if I'd been hurt badly.
But no irritation or burn whatsoever.

Just a very close and - indeed - direct shave.

Mr Muller of Muhle informed me that 'this razor was not intended to be a razor for anyone', and I believe that sums it up nicely. If you do not have your basic techniques under control, these new razors might bite badly. If you are a practised wetshaver however I suspect that this razor might be a real contribution to the den.

I'll be trying out this razor a bit more the next days and report back if there's interest in my findings.

Attachments

• $P1030858.jpg
    $P1030858.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,686
Last edited:
Man that is a great looking razor.. Big fan of the OC desgin. I use the old R89 (aka Fat Tip), cant wait for USA and Canadian vendors to get a hold of this razor.

I am tempted...Sounds like this design is a lot closer to their old 'Fatip' OC. Could you confirm that Wim?

I recently decided that I didn't need any more razors (apart from vintage 'Gladweg'-razors and maybe a Merkur 45) and now Mühle brings out a new OC design. And I am a sucker for open combs so here we probably go again....

I recently decided that I didn't need any more razors (apart from vintage 'Gladweg'-razors and maybe a Merkur 45) Mühle brings out a new OC design. And I am a sucker for open combs so here we probably go again....

No kidding. I thought I was all set too. Now I must try this one.

For those who say they need it because they love open combs, please note that this head is not really an open comb; it's a beaded safety bar, for lack of a better term. See prior thread for more details.

For those who say they need it because they love open combs, please note that this head is not really an open comb; it's a beaded safety bar, for lack of a better term. See prior thread for more details.

Fyi, Mühle named it "tooth comb" instead of open in their web site.

Well, I hope R41 shaves like those.

Attachments

• $100_1246.jpg
    $100_1246.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,640
Last edited:
I am tempted...Sounds like this design is a lot closer to their old 'Fatip' OC. Could you confirm that Wim?

I cannot confirm that as I have no 'Fatip' (watching the BST though to complete my Muhle collection!).
But from the descriptions I think they must be closer. The Fatip OCs are often described as more aggressive.

Most of my tools are gillettes, but this comb design is looking more appealing every time I see it.
I'm looking forward to reading more impressions.
-- Chet

Hmm. Super aggressive, like I figured. I felt the same way about the Fatip, but I mastered that one too. This one might be worth a go....

Reading this review just confirms me in my aversion to modern razors. So Muhle has created an extremely aggressive razor - so what? Anyone can produce the same effect by getting a slim or fatboy and cranking it up all the way. In my view, the true art of razor design lies in creating one that shaves well in the hand of expert and beginner alike. The finest Gillettes are like that: Tech, Rocket HD, #16. And numerous vintage non-Gillettes as well. For a manufacturer to warn users that their new razor requires special precautions is to simply admit that one is selling a badly-designed razor.

You can't tell if it's a badly designed razor until you try it yourself. You're being too harsh. Some people like "aggressive" razors and sharp blades. For the longest time I stayed away from Feather blades and the Slant based on what I read in the forums. Turns out Feather is now one of my favorite blades and I had no problem with a Feather in a Slant. I have sensitive skin and tough whiskers but I do much better with a sharp blade than a milder one. Yes, I have to be more careful but a lot of passes and scraping my sensitive skin with a dull blade doesn't work for me, it is a recipe for disaster for me. I want to be done in two quick and light passes, not a lot of blade buffing, hooking or whatever else.

Reading this review just confirms me in my aversion to modern razors. So Muhle has created an extremely aggressive razor - so what? Anyone can produce the same effect by getting a slim or fatboy and cranking it up all the way. In my view, the true art of razor design lies in creating one that shaves well in the hand of expert and beginner alike. The finest Gillettes are like that: Tech, Rocket HD, #16. And numerous vintage non-Gillettes as well. For a manufacturer to warn users that their new razor requires special precautions is to simply admit that one is selling a badly-designed razor.
Muhle has already created razors fit for beginner and experienced users alike...the closed-comb R89. The previous-version open comb. Merkur has done it with the HD as well as the Barberpoles and Slants. Lord has done it with the 1822L.

This razor is simply different. A grand total of 2 people have posted their impressions. Far too soon to decry the razor or call it badly-designed IMO.

Sounds like it will be another polarizing razor like the Feather AS which I love and use. I wouldn't mind adding an equally unique (semi) open comb to the collection. But I'll have to see for myself, if it's not for me, so be it.

There is nothing wrong with an agressive razor. Some guys with very tough beards need them. But the logic here seems to be "if you are an experienced shaver, you can move up to an aggressive razor". That logic is wrong. A really good razor is one that can be used by anyone. The advanced shaver will need fewer passes, will experience less burn, and will be less likely to bleed.

Well it is the most aggressive razor i've ever used, and i have an ocmm/slant/bostonian at my disposal, the new r41 puts all of them in the shade.

But it makes your blade of choice all the more important, it really needs to be smooth otherwise it'll light up your face.

I love this razor, but i'll warn you it's not for the feint hearted.

Top Bottom