What's new

First GEM Featherweight shave

Got a very clean FW off the Bay for a BIN of $3.50...figured "why not?" A quick Efferdent bath and a light polish to remove some water haze and it looks like new - no wear or scratches at all.

Here's the setup:
Hot shower
VDH Deluxe soap
VDH boar brush
Pottery bowl from thrift store
Brand new Walgreen's blade
Aqua Velva Ice Blue and WH for follow-up
Cold water shave
Full 3-pass with minor neck touch-ups

I have to say, this was a very nice shave with minimal effort. Very good DFS with almost no sting from the Aqua Velva. Even though there's a ridiculous amount of blade showing, I didn't feel it or worry about it. Just raised the blade a few degrees from flat and quickly found the "buttering toast" sound. I really liked the audio feedback from this razor. Overall, the shave was extremely easy and quick with good results.

I'm not ready to give up my DE razors, but I definitely think I may have to look for a 1912 in the future.

$20170128_201919.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write-up! Congrats on your aquisition! I am looking to acquire a vintage Gem myself in the near future. Like you, I don't think I can completely give up my DEs but the SEs have definitely drawn my interest.

After this first run, I would definitely say get an SE in the rotation! This is supposed to be one of the mildest GEMs but it is pretty effective. It definitely seemed milder yet more effective than my Flair Tip SS.

I'm not ready to give up my DE razors, but I definitely think I may have to look for a 1912 in the future.

I am looking to acquire a vintage Gem myself in the near future. Like you, I don't think I can completely give up my DEs but the SEs have definitely drawn my interest.

I feel just like you guys - since I started collecting vintage Gillette DE razors, I've seen countless GEM/EverReady/Star SE razors in the antique shops, and have just walked on by - not interested. ...until this past Saturday. The first place we went, had an EverReady SE that's been there a few months, and I told my wife that if I didn't find anything else, I might come back and get it. Later on, at another antique shop, I ended up getting a really nice GEM MicroMatic OC that was only $5. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $5, and it's a TTO SE, which I had never seen before. I used it for the first time this morning, was completely amazed at how well it shaved, and am worried that I'm headed down another rabbit hole! I am definitely going back to get the EverReady!!

Congrats on the FW and entering the SE world, from another SE newb!

I feel just like you guys - since I started collecting vintage Gillette DE razors, I've seen countless GEM/EverReady/Star SE razors in the antique shops, and have just walked on by - not interested. ...until this past Saturday. The first place we went, had an EverReady SE that's been there a few months, and I told my wife that if I didn't find anything else, I might come back and get it. Later on, at another antique shop, I ended up getting a really nice GEM MicroMatic OC that was only $5. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $5, and it's a TTO SE, which I had never seen before. I used it for the first time this morning, was completely amazed at how well it shaved, and am worried that I'm headed down another rabbit hole! I am definitely going back to get the EverReady!!

Congrats on the FW and entering the SE world, from another SE newb!

Ha! I forgot about that post. Guess who acquired a 1912 GEM Jr...

Congrats...on Picking a GEM Jr., thats a favorite of my SE's, really nice with the big fat bakelite handle...always a nice smooth shave.

I just purchased a Gem Featherweight and a Gem Micromatic OC. How do they compare to each other and to a Gillette Flare? I have a couple Schick Eversharps type G to try out as well.

I just purchased a Gem Featherweight and a Gem Micromatic OC. How do they compare to each other and to a Gillette Flare? I have a couple Schick Eversharps type G to try out as well.

I don't know....just got an OCMM and still not brave enough to try it. Maybe this weekend when I have 2 days to recover (if necessary).

The OCMM is the most agressive of the GEM line up, so you should likely get some experience with one of their milder GEMs, if you can, before tackling it. That said, the OCMM is nothing to be afraid of and is somewhat of a "right of passage" among SE shavers. One way to approach a razor you are unsure of is wait until you have several days of growth before giving it a go. (extra cushion I guess)

To answer the question above, the GEM Featherweight is the most like Gillette Flare in terms of agressivness. Although I think the GEM will give a superior shave over-all.

My first SE was the open comb MicroMatic. I used the carbon steel blades from CVS, and got some very nice shaves. I took it easy, and while I did have a bit of irritation (the aftershave splash had a little extra bite!), there was no major damage. I had a couple of small weepers, but I've received worse from my Fatboy and Old Type DE razors.

Just take it easy, use NO pressure, and you'll do fine! Good luck!

Today was my first shave with a GEM Featherweight. What a pleasure this shave was.

It is extremely smooth and non aggressive. Not even a little. But it is efficient enough to do a good job.

It took 3 full passes to get to BBS plus a bit of touch up. But I'm sure in time, I'll get it down. I can usually do a 2 pass plus touch up shave with my AC razors.

This razor is close to my birth year for a GEM razor, which is why I bought it. So it is from 1 - 6 years older than me. We both still work pretty well. LOL

Gem featherweight is the mildest of them all and a good way to get into vintage Gem razors. If you'd like to step up a little try a Gem G bar. Also if you start to go down the Gem rabbit hole as I have, get some Gem PTFE blades as they are much better than the drugstore Gem blades. Also don't be afraid of the MMOC. It along with the 1914 are right up there at the top as far as efficienty goes in my den and that includes both DE or SE. Modern or Vintage.

Top Bottom