February Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Beef Stews

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@simon1 At that price you all but stole it. Score. :thumbup1:

The Vindaloo is done and dusted.

20170211_180847.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I can feel the heat from here! Looks delicious Chris!

Fire quencher!

dave

Thanks Dave. The heat was hot but to my liking. It tasted really nice and there is pleanty of leftovers as the wife was too scared to try any. I tried to tell her it tasted nice and was not too hot but she was not having it. Guess it's once burnt twice shy.
Oh well, her loss is my gain.......it's all mine, mine I say. :devil:

No beer to wash it down tonight, not needed or wanted.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
That Vindaloo looks and sounds really good, Chris! Though I suspect that yours may have a touch too much heat for me.
proxy.php

Came across an interesting recipe for Beef Ragu on Polenta in a book called 'Lick Your Plate'. Called for a slow cooker which we don't have so continued exploring and ended up mashing this recipe together with a couple Thomas Keller recipes... My wife raided the frozen blackberry stash and put together a Blackberry Cobbler for a dessert.

Results, rich, rich decadence, took hours over a couple days to put together and a few minutes to make disappear, all too often the case.

For the ragu, following Keller made a wine reduction (a bottle for the pot & one for the glass). Used an Italian Sangiovese, onions, shallots, leeks, carrots, thyme, parsley, mushrooms & smashed garlic.

Browned up a sirloin tip roast, removed from the pan then in with chopped carrots, onions and celery to cook up a bit. Pulled those from the pan then into the pan with the wine reduction to deglaze the pan. Covered over that with dampened cheesecloth then back in with the roast, the vegetables, veal stock & jarred tomatoes. Into a 325 oven until the roast was fall apart roasted, maybe 3 & 1/2 hours.

Pulled the roast then gathered up the cheesecloth to remove the top vegetables, saved. Strained all the wine reduction aromatics out of the incredible tasting stock. Put the stock & roast in the fridge overnight expecting there to be some fat atop the stock, virtually none.

Today shredded the meat, used some of the stock and some of our summer tomato sauce to make a sauce then added the shredded beef and saved vegetables.

Polenta, a la Keller as well, so over the top. Made vegetable stock for cooking the cornmeal you then finish the polenta with loads of butter and whipping cream, amazing, so smooth, rich, and sweet, killer concoction.

Music, At Last, The Best of Etta James

Wine, Fantini Farnese- Sangiovese the same as in the pot, cheap stuff from Italy, there are no expensive bottles of this style at the liquor store...

Dessert, Blackberry Cobbler and real Vanilla Ice Creamdave

onion, carrot, garlic, pepper, san marzano tomatoes, better than bouillion ('cause there were no bones), smoked paprika... an hour later... browned chuck... le sillage de malartic, bay, thyme, s&p, white pearly onions & taters on top... an hour later... stir, rest, bon apetit.
february.beef.stew.jpg

Intrigued

Dave, Beef Ragu on Polenta sounds amazing! ... and Steve, great looking batch of stew!

It would be so great to be able to really sample all these dishes you guys post.
proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Crock pots are fantastic. I use it for my Texas Red, too. Who wants to mind a pot if you don't have to?

I also like to use a enamale pot in the oven on low. Great in winter as it also adds heat to the house.

That Vindaloo looks and sounds really good, Chris! Though I suspect that yours may have a touch too much heat for me.
proxy.php

Yeah it may have had a tade too much heat for some. The good thing about making your own is you have control over the heat. While vidaloos are normally hot they don't have to be, just use the chilli types and amount to taste.
Vindaloos don't have to be hot, did I just say that. :letterk1:

Some truly amazing beef stews so far. East beef stroganoff is on the list to be made today here, still. Updates once it's setup in the slow cooker.

Intrigued

Beef Stroganoff made with ribeye steak that was seared, chilled, sliced thin, and added at the same time as the sour cream to just warm through.

IMG_5125.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow! All this stuff looks great.

Connie...will you marry me?

Since we have a county wide burn ban in effect and have been getting up to 40 mph winds, I think I'll keep the cooking inside until we get some rain.

First thing ya need to do is get ahold of yer meat.

IMG_0002.JPG

Then hunk it up, along with a large onjion, and throw it in a bit of hot oil until the meat is browned.

IMG_0007.JPG

Then drain the grease, and hunk up some 'taters and carrots and toss them in the pot, and cover with water.

IMG_0009.JPG

Simmer for about an hour or so.

IMG_0015.JPG

Then throw in some broccoli and some cauliflower if ya want.

IMG_0019.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After about another 30 minutes or so thicken the gravy. I used some cornmeal, like you can do with chili, instead of cornstarch or flour this time. Never done that before.

Make a slurry with the cornmeal and water, and add it a bit at a time to the stew.

IMG_0024.JPG

Oooppps, got it a bit too thick.

IMG_0031.JPG

Beef broth to the rescue...and added a bit of kitchen bouquet for some color.

IMG_0009.JPG

Serve with your favorite stew additions...crackers, cornbread, or in this case corn dodgers.

IMG_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Here's the wife's version of Beef Stroganoff. All fast and easy, brown the meat while seasoning it, add to the crockpot with the soups of various styles, slow cook a few hours, stir in the sour cream.
IMG_20170212_125702.jpg
IMG_20170212_194511.jpg
IMG_20170212_194531.jpg

Intrigued

I saw this link that Ouch posted the other day about making carnitas, so I decided to try it for cooking the beef for the stew.

First I seared the Chuck Steak in a dutch oven, then cut it into chunks and put it in baking dish. Some slices of butter were laid on top. Then it was covered tightly with foil, and popped it into the oven set at 225F.

Meanwhile, the dutch oven was filled with a Red Wine Reduction, Beef Stock, a slurry of Flour & Beef Stock, Tomato Paste, Minced Garlic, Dry Onion Soup Mix, Baby Carrots, Baby Bella Mushrooms, Little Potatoes, & Pearl Red Onions. For spices, I added some Ground All Spice, Garam Marsla, & Ground Thyme. This was brought to a simmer, than covered and put in the same oven as the beef.

After a couple of hours the chunks of beef were strained and added to the dutch oven. the dutch oven went back in the oven. The strained beef juices were chilled, most of the fat skimmed off, and then they too were added to the dutch oven.

PDG Beef Stew served with Garlic Butter & Parmasan Biscuits, Salad, Raspberries & Blue Berries with Agave Syrup.
IMG_5132.jpg
IMG_5134.jpg

Top Bottom