What's new

February Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Beef Stews

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I saw this link that Ouch posted the other day about making carnitas, so I decided to try it for cooking the beef for the stew.

That looks beyond awesome.

I believe the whole purpose of that article was to demonstrate that meat can still turn out dry even when cooked in liquid for a long time. Cooking en confit has been used for generations to prepare and preserve ultra succulent meats- think of it as the original sous vide.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Do you guys have any idea how this lack of custom title ability is killing me?
Now I'm kinda glad. :blink: ... but really I think you guys just don't want to bad enough. Some other forums using XenForo have them. :innocent:

.... but then again it should cut down on the taco bribes. :lol:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I asked Connie to marry me back in '15.

...besides....there are no custom titles anymore.

I think she done you a favour, as the first chilli with beans would have ripped you apart.
Plus I think you already have the L' of your life......who else would give you a yard cart?

The CT may have gone but you now have your D back in line.o_O

Rework of saturday's leftover ragu, cooking liquid, and half a jar of tomato sauce. Wasn't going to be much time tonight to get dinner on the table so last night cooked up a cup of farro and a diced Yukon Gold. From the freezer peas and edamames.

Beef and Farro Stew

dave

Started a Flemish Beef Stew this afternoon for tomorrow's time-shifted Valentine's Day dinner.

Instead of wine based this one braised in Chimay Première, a Belgian Trappist ale. Pound & a half chunk of beef.

dave

Thanks Dustin!

Finished the Flemish Stew for our Valentines meal for Saturday night. All new to us recipes except the potatoes which are a regular side for our various meat efforts.

Started with a Greyhound using a local distillers gin & their lime bitters, Dillon's. Let the food prep begin...

Appetizer- Walnut Encrusted Capriny Goat Cheese with a Red Pepper Coulis.

Mains- the Flemish Beef Stew with Lemon Gremolata, oven fries with fresh, grainy mustard mayonnaise, pickled vegetables, cornichons and gherkins.

Mixed greens, sprouts and edible flower salad with Honey/Mustard Vinaigrette

Dessert- Caramelized Pear Tart

The tart and the cheese were from the same book and we have to assume the recipes as written up were tweaked mightly to get the pictures that accompanied the recipes. Food stylists probably don't hurt their cause.

Beverages- Greyhound, Henkell Rosé, Cathedral Cellar- Cabernet Sauvignon

Made the stew Friday to give it time to come together and made the coulis Saturday afternoon as it was suppose to cool. Everything else was on the fly, went surprisingly smooth even if the recipes were fudged.

Ran through a huge mess of music;
Left of the Dial, Dispatches from the 80's underground
Johnny Winter, Step Back
Sleater-Kinney, Woods
Black Keys, Rubber Factory plus Thickfreakness

dave

Thank you Connie, much appreciated!

Now for an afternoon walk. Further aside, (another thread but..) my thermometer showed a high of ~57F yesterday, right now we're at 56F, those are in the shade. In the sun and out of any wind, it's incredible, good bye winter blues!

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A beauty of a day in Brampton Ontario. Washed my 125 lb Lab Newf. Brother in law brought some food with him so we had the salmon for dinner instead of lunch. I haven't used the BBQ for a while so it took a bit of warming up on one side before I could get the other burners to kick in. It seems due for cleaning the burner.

Copy cat from Connie's post yesterday. I just put away the unopened jar of capers. Jumping around like a one armed paper hanger. I had to work quickly to keep the meal warm. Put my wife' sauce on the side as she mostly prefers very little on her veg.

copy cat 1.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hey . . . wait. Who is that git putting fish in a beef thread. Stew/mod please feel free to move to the What's cooking thread.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Been a long time since I mentioned Sir Walter. Very similar to the way I pronounce my last name. Love the Bob Newhart skit . . . What . . . you roll up leafs, put them between your lips, and set them on fire?

Top Bottom