What's new

Feather Artist Club And Weck Sextoblade : Razors Of Genius!

There's the AC SS, Kai Captain Excelia and IBC which all shave a bit differently from the DX but I think the joker in the pack is actually the Sam Seong (which is based on an older Feather design).
It's the heaviest of the lot and has a slider to secure the blade.
It also has a thickly chromed head which is bigger and thicker than any of the others and a handle as long as the DX.

Although it doesn't look as sleek, the Sam Seong feels great with the extra width and larger head it's just a bigger razor all round:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And of course these are all delivery systems for those incredible blades you can't really go wrong with any of them [emoji3]

And IBC this morning:
proxy.php

Unlike the other Artist Club shavettes, the IBC has a round point which helps make an easy and relaxed shave.

I'm also enjoying the way that these Feather Pro blades mellow with each shave.
Like many good things, they don't deteriorate but improve with use [emoji4]

And IBC this morning:
proxy.php

Unlike the other Artist Club shavettes, the IBC has a round point which helps make an easy and relaxed shave.

I'm also enjoying the way that these Feather Pro blades mellow with each shave.
Like many good things, they don't deteriorate but improve with use [emoji4]

I love what you have done with IBC, it is very nice... Do you still need to oil it ?

Not quite off target as when the thread was started, mjclark was referring to the Feather Artist Club and Weck blade formats and not to the specific razors themselves. The Kai Captain kamisori was my first Feather AC format razor and is still in my rotation so yes, definitely more deserving of honorable mention.

I used a Weck Sextoblade (medical version) today with a Fromm blade. I haven't used one in several years, but I wanted to see how sharp my own honing skills on honing straights are compared to a machined blade. I compared how the blade felt while shaving, the closeness of the shave, and after shave burn afterwards. To my pleasant surprise, they felt the same while shaving, and the closeness I could tell no difference, I even had the same trouble with spots of random growth patterns (happens with a DE as well). I did have a few weepers though, which I almost never get with my self honed straights. After shave burn was higher, as well.
My conclusion is that my honing skills are indeed up to par; there is always the self doubt that it isn't good enough, can I get a sharper blade etc. I attribute the weepers and after shave burn to the fact that the Fromm blade is truly sharper, yet more harsh, than my own honing. I probably used more pressure than was needed to shave with, as my blades are technically duller than the Fromm, yet very satisfactory for my daily use.

Just subscribed to this thread. I've been having a whale of a time with the Feather AC SS + ProSuper blades for the last few weeks, and reading this topic inspired me to order the DX blue handle. I was looking for a new challenge after a year and a half of devette shaving -- also inspired by our esteemed OP, [MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION] -- and found it. Two passes plus touchup brought me my first BBS shave with the SS a few days ago.

Any views here on the Kamisori brand AC blades?

Just subscribed to this thread. I've been having a whale of a time with the Feather AC SS + ProSuper blades for the last few weeks, and reading this topic inspired me to order the DX blue handle. I was looking for a new challenge after a year and a half of devette shaving -- also inspired by our esteemed OP, @mjclark -- and found it. Two passes plus touchup brought me my first BBS shave with the SS a few days ago.

Any views here on the Kamisori brand AC blades?

I have seen them advertised, however I haven't seen them offered for cheaper than the Feather blades. Kai blades are comparable to the Feathers and Dorco is your poor man's blade. I use them mostly to test my new razors - if I can get a good shave with a mediocre blade, then the razor is great. I am believing that the Kamisori brand blades might just be a rebranded blade and if it is a rebranded Dorco, better to stick with the real deal.

I have seen them advertised, however I haven't seen them offered for cheaper than the Feather blades. Kai blades are comparable to the Feathers and Dorco is your poor man's blade. I use them mostly to test my new razors - if I can get a good shave with a mediocre blade, then the razor is great. I am believing that the Kamisori brand blades might just be a rebranded blade and if it is a rebranded Dorco, better to stick with the real deal.

Thanks. I've seen them here, at about the same price as the Feather Pros (considering that the Kamisoris are a 24-pack). I'm happy to stick with the real deal, but always like to have an alternate source in my back pocket. :wink2:

Got a Weck Bantam yesterday, identical to the Hair Shaper except the name and the plating (Bantam is nickel, Hair Shaper chrome) and smaller than the Sextoblade.

The Bantam was marketed specifically for shaving wasn't it?
proxy.php

proxy.php

And one of those Lucite scaled ones too!
proxy.php

Got a Weck Bantam yesterday, identical to the Hair Shaper except the name and the plating (Bantam is nickel, Hair Shaper chrome) and smaller than the Sextoblade.

The Bantam was marketed specifically for shaving wasn't it?

Nice finds. :thumbup: According to the Weck wiki page, the Bantam was a travel version of the Sextoblade: "The shavette-type came in a smaller edition as well, intended for travel, called the Bantam." (No cite for this, but the page in general seems well-researched.)

Speaking of "shavette", does anyone know the origin of the term? Is it a trade name that became generic, or was it generic to begin with? Somehow I associate it with Dovo, but don't really know (and a bit of Googling didn't help). I don't particularly like it -- it sounds especially ludicrous when applied to something as substantial and well-made as the Wecks or the Feather ACs -- but it's entrenched, I guess. :huh:

We covered this extensively when I was trying to come up with a name for the SABRE group. Shavette is the name for the Dovo brand razor. It has seeped over and is now used for any razor of that style. Some like it, some don't. But there's not really another name that's much better or more descriptive than that.

Great thread and now it looks like I be looking for a DX. After a lot of thought I will looking to sell my straights and other items. I just do not have the time for it anymore. Right now I may shave with my straights a handful of times a year. Life is just getting in the way. Looking through this thread I can still get the best of both worlds.

Don't hate... It was a hard decision and I am a little sad about it :(

Great thread and now it looks like I be looking for a DX. After a lot of thought I will looking to sell my straights and other items. I just do not have the time for it anymore. Right now I may shave with my straights a handful of times a year. Life is just getting in the way. Looking through this thread I can still get the best of both worlds.

Don't hate... It was a hard decision and I am a little sad about it :(

Yeah - the DX is unbeatable!

Top Bottom