What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Hit up a tool shop and get an M4.5x0.75 bottoming tap. That's the thread pitch Fatip uses (as do some other new and vintage European brands). Then you can make a handle out of anything you can drill a pilot hole in.

I picked up one of the Harbor Freight automatic centre punches made by Pittsburgh. They're cheap, they're brass, and you can open them up and take out the bits inside. Then run that tap down the hole in the end and you not only have a nice hefty long brass handle, but if you take out the centre section of it you will have a nice little travel handle as well. I will say the HF handle hole is almost too large to cut good threads at that pitch. It's fine, though if you're careful.

O.H.

I read the first 60 pages of this thread on Sunday looking to see specifically what handles fit the FOCS. I saw a link to a thread dating back to 2013 that mentioned handles that are no longer made Weber, T2 etc. i did find a Razorock handle from my BBS A plate, that worked but the threads seemed iffy and i don’t wanna ruin the handle or FOCS.

Yesterday i tried several more that do fit. Any YAQI handle fits perfect. I had 2 Gun metal YAQI handles, one from the SE Katana razor and a longer handle from a YAQI i forget the name of. Both fit great and i liked the grip of the Katana handle.

Another I didn’t expect to fit but seemed exact with no slip or slop in the threads was the handle from Timeless bronze. Shaved this morning with it and it’s perfect. I love the extra weight it brings and makes for an effortless shave. I let the weight of the razor do all the work and with a brand new Personna Lab Blues, it was like one of my best DFS AND slightly less than BBS with only WTG and slight touch up with no weepers or cuts.

I find i like heavier handles on my razors. Some aluminum razors i never liked, brought on a new life with a heavy brass handle. Love the YAQI Mammoth or Monolith (forget what they call it) handle. One of the fattest and heaviest, besides the raw brass one of similar proportions from west coast shaving. I’ll check more handles to fit the FOCS for folks that can’t get used to the light hollow Fatip handle like me, I probably have 50 other razor handles to check still, lol.

Ps. That older thread from 2013 mentioned an IKON OSS handle that fits Fatip threads, and it did fit, but it seemed more unstable than the Razorock, as only the last bit of threads locked it down.
I'm not sure if you have tried these yet.

Vintage Gillette handles - the 10-32 thread will likely be compatible, though not an exact fit, the thread pitch is equivalent.

proxy.php

Cadet, Boss, Matador - my Boss handle is the heaviest I have, patterned after the BRW Bull Mastiff style.

proxy.php

Icon Bulldog - nice handle, feels good in the hand, 90mm length. Available separately.

proxy.php

Durham Duplex - available fairly cheaply from online auction sites:

proxy.php

Fatip Wood - Fatip makes razors with wooden handle. Frequently discounted, I have two. Slightly lighter than the Piccolo handle and approx 90mm long. Four different wood species available: Olive, Walnut, Wenge, Zebrano.

proxy.php

Vintage Gillette handles - the 10-32 thread will likely be compatible, though not an exact fit, the thread pitch is equivalent.

proxy.php

Cadet, Boss, Matador - my Boss handle is the heaviest I have, patterned after the BRW Bull Mastiff style.

proxy.php

Icon Bulldog - nice handle, feels good in the hand, 90mm length. Available separately.

proxy.php

Durham Duplex - available fairly cheaply from online auction sites:

proxy.php

Fatip Wood - Fatip makes razors with wooden handle. Frequently discounted, I have two. Slightly lighter than the Piccolo handle and approx 90mm long. Four different wood species available: Olive, Walnut, Wenge, Zebrano.

proxy.php
Thanks for further suggestions but I’m staying with modern razors and handles (God help me if i venture down the vintage razors rabbit hole). Funny you mention the Ikon Bulldog. I’m assuming it’s the same threads as the Ikon OSS handle I have, and while it fits, it’s got tons of slip and slop where it wobbles until the last bit of threads lock it down. That’s not one I would consider a fit at all. Verify if there is any wobble when screwing on that handle.

Thx for the advice:

This mornin I tried it out:
IMG_20211017_102835468.jpg

4th use of this Kai stainless steel blade and due to harsh shaves spent this mornig especialy attention to technique: no pressure, short strokes, etc..
Yet another close but uncomfortable shave with again some bloody dots. conclusion: this combo of blade with the FOCS is nothing for me, Gillette platinum, rapira platinum lux and sputnik teflon cooated work way better.

Since Tabac soap makes every thing slippery I changed the original handle and used one of my Gillette old style clone. Treading fits and closes tight. This handle works way better for me :thumbsup:.

Just wanted to say that I am still in awe of how good the FOCS shaves. Very impressive for the money. I also have a question is the "gold" FOCS plated or raw brass? I can definitely see some little spots of patina but I am not sure.

Just wanted to say that I am still in awe of how good the FOCS shaves. Very impressive for the money. I also have a question is the "gold" FOCS plated or raw brass? I can definitely see some little spots of patina but I am not sure.
If it was raw brass I’d be a buyer but assuming it’s plated

Does someone knows what's the new project the Fatip is workin on right now? It includes gaining weight but that's as far as i can tell from the FB posts (visiting from time to time the page of Fatip).

Does someone knows what's the new project the Fatip is workin on right now? It includes gaining weight but that's as far as i can tell from the FB posts (visiting from time to time the page of Fatip).
I’ll check out their Facebook page. Piqued my interest as my biggest complaint is their razors are too light as is. With the brass handles I have it is much better.

EDIT: apparently the new model “il grosso” which translated means “the big one” is mainly the handle that is thicker and solid brass, but the head is either the same as the original and gentile or the gap is the same. Who knows when this will be available, probably early 2022.

Last edited:
I’ll check out their Facebook page. Piqued my interest as my biggest complaint is their razors are too light as is. With the brass handles I have it is much better.

EDIT: apparently the new model “il grosso” which translated means “the big one” is mainly the handle that is thicker and solid brass, but the head is either the same as the original and gentile or the gap is the same. Who knows when this will be available, probably early 2022.
In Europe the "Grande Grosso" models are already available.

In Europe the "Grande Grosso" models are already available.
Yeah I saw a site rasoigoodfellas or something like that and the gold one was like 45 whatever currency it was listed at euros? If so they are charging a hefty premium for just the handle. I just bought a standard Lo Storto Gentile from Connaught with the exchange rate I think was like $22 USD.

Yeah I saw a site rasoigoodfellas or something like that and the gold one was like 45 whatever currency it was listed at euros? If so they are charging a hefty premium for just the handle. I just bought a standard Lo Storto Gentile from Connaught with the exchange rate I think was like $22
The price surcharge for the Grosso model compared to the standard Grande model is approx. 6/7 Euros (which doesn't seem too bad, imo).

Unfortunately there is no Nichelato grosso version available... Same goes for the slants, it's a pity.

Hey guys, I'm looking about purchasing my first Slant razor.
I shave everyday or every other day, so my usual razors are the Merkur Progress or the Razorock GC 68p CC.
I like none or slight blade feel, but with some efficiency. Doesn't need to be efficient to the point that isn't necessary go beyond 2 passes, because I do like shave with 3 passes. I have the Muhle R41, but that thing is a monster and I can't use it in a proper way without cut myself pretty badly.

What's your Slant suggestion? The Storto handle it's just so damn beautiful! :D

Help me out here boys!

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm looking about purchasing my first Slant razor.
I shave everyday or every other day, so my usual razors are the Merkur Progress or the Razorock GC 68p CC.
I like none or slight blade feel, but with some efficiency. Doesn't need to be efficient to the point that isn't necessary go beyond 2 passes, because I do like shave with 3 passes. I have the Muhle R41, but that thing is a monster and I can't use it in a proper way without cut myself pretty badly.

What's your Slant suggestion? The Storto handle it's just so damn beautiful! :D

Help me out here boys!

Thanks
Out of all my razors, this is the one that I'm most satisfied with, and that includes the Progress, the RR GC's, and the Rockwell. I still use those, but this one I keep coming back to because it is just so easy to use. I don't even worry about how it doesn't line up with the cap sometimes, it rarely bites me.

I just received a FOCS from Maggard Razors.

Is this kind of scratching and scoring normal for a new Fatip razor? The razor came in a box that was already ripped as well. It feels like I was sent a razor that has already been returned once. Alignment seems fine, so maybe I should just not worry about it and use it.

View attachment 1269249View attachment 1269250View attachment 1269251View attachment 1269252
Box is poorly designed in that only head of the razor is secured, while the handle isn't, often resulting in the cardboard tearing during shipping. For me, not a big issue, except a consideration when giving one as a gift.

I just received a FOCS from Maggard Razors.

Is this kind of scratching and scoring normal for a new Fatip razor? The razor came in a box that was already ripped as well. It feels like I was sent a razor that has already been returned once. Alignment seems fine, so maybe I should just not worry about it and use it.

View attachment 1269249View attachment 1269250View attachment 1269251View attachment 1269252
Box is poorly designed in that only head of the razor is secured, while the handle isn't, often resulting in the cardboard tearing during shipping. For me, not a big issue, except a consideration when giving one as a gift.

Top Bottom