What's new

Fatboy February - 2016 Edition

2/29 SOTD
Fatboy at 8 w/Personna red
Proraso white
Virginia Sheng best badger
Corn huskers for AS

Nice shave to finish out Fatboy February. All the fuss about this razor is that it shaves great (especially on higher settings) and so beautifully made. It's going in my rotation, but I recently got a Super adjustable in my birth year. So it'll be Black beauty March for me.

$WP_20160229_05_08_55_Pro.jpg

Day 29 head shave 27
E-1 Fatboy wide open Gillette Silver Blue (27)
Omega S
VDH Deluxe
WSP Tobacco beard oil
Avon Spicy

I haven't used my Fatboy so much in one month since it was my only DE. It has been fun. If I had to use just one razor for the rest of my life a Fatboy could easily be that razor, but since I don't it will be nice to start switching it up again. I really hope to see some of you on the Fatboy Friday thread in the Clubs and brotherhoods section of the forum when you need a Fatboy fix throughout the rest of the year. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/442475-Fatboy-Friday

Feb 29. 28th and final shave of Fatboy Feb 2016.
F1 The Gift on 5.
Gillette Silver Blue blade.
VDH Deluxe soap.
VDH Badger brush.
Aqua Velva blue ice AS.
This was my first Fatboy Feb. It has been a lot of fun. Thank you Garrett for hosting. After tonights shave going to give the gift a rest. Picked up a Slim a few weeks back, and have been chomping at the bit to try it out.

Closing out the month and putting away my E1 Fatboy for awhile. Thanks old friend for the great shaves in February!

Closing it out here as well, shaved on 3 again, two pass plus cleanup, proraso green, skin bracer aftershave. Astra SP on 7th shave. Great shave to close out the month.

Day 29, shave 21 - head and throat.

Fatboy set at 6, Personna 74 (21) and La Toja Stick (grated into a bowl).

Great shave for the last day of the month. I never fail to get an amazing slick and cushiony lather from La Toja - and the smell! The shave should have been a challenge for the blade, which is on shave 21, 4 days growth and no prep other than a rub of the face and head with cold tap water. The Fatboy and the P74 sailed through the stubble like a warm knife through room temperature butter.

This is my first time going an entire month using a single item (blade and/or razor). I tend to jump around between razors, blades, soaps and brushes. I might try to use one soap for March, probably a Col Conk, until I either figure out a way to make it work for me, or trash (or PIF) because it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Feb 29 Final Shave.

Shower and exfoliation
2 Hot Towels before shave and 1 between each pass
1959 E2 FatBoy aka Stiffy 7 for pass 1, 8 for 2 and 9 for 3
Voskhod blade
Larry's Own pre shave oil
Omega boar brush wet with distilled water
Col Conk Bay Rum Soap
Witch Hazel and Aloe post
Finished with Jergens Shea Butta skin cream.

The whole deal took 53 minutes and I loved every one of them. My farging face feels great. I really got to know Stiffy this month with each shave being different. Stiffy's now cleaned and oiled and resting comfortably.

proxy.php

Now it's time for Merker March!

Last edited:
One last shave for FFF.

My F2 with a Voskhod on it's 4th four pass. It's the end of the road for the blade. Had a tuggy time. Ended up with a so so almost bbs or rather a meh dfs. Time for a new blade.
Thanks for hosting.

OL' DIRTY on 9
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Proshave brushless as a preshave
Razorock bay rum for CC
Omega 10049
Alum block
VIBR A/s

Squeezed in the last shave tonight. New wilkinson sword blade. OL' Dirty on 9! Great shave. Great month.
Thank you to gwsmallwood!

Time to drop OL' Dirty in the ultrasonic. Got a bunch of new vintage razors to try.

Ever Ready 1914 "Little Later Catcher" GEM SS (New)
Omega S
WSP Rustic Black Amber Vanille
Avon Deep Woods

Nice very near BBS Shave with a few hiccups . This was only my third run with the 1914 (1st with a new blade). After a month with the wide open Fatboy and the same GSB I must have forgot what a truly aggressive razor and a new sharp blade is like. (I really do find the Fatboy to be very forgiving even at 9) I wound up with 2 weepers on the side of my head and 1 nick on the back not terrible, but this was the first time I had to get the styptic pencil out in months. It stopped quickly once I found my pencil it had fallen behind some other things in the medicine cabinet as I said it has been a while since I used it. This has been a fun month and it really confirms how well the Fatboy works for me, but it will be nice to get back to honing my skills on some really old razors. IMHO the Fatboy (and Slim) is (are) one (2) of the last of the really great razors made. I really can't speak for the new stuff though I really am a vintage guy, and still have a lot of old ones to try before I get to any of the new stuff.

Attachments

• $DSCF8770.jpg
    $DSCF8770.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 36
This morning i woke up, had my first cup of coffee and started my day.

hot shower... slapped on some preshave gel and stood looking at my razors... knowing i could pick anyone because fatboy feb is over.

picked up my Gillette new open comb, then i picked up my Redtip oh man do i love my Redtip.... then i saw my 34C sitting there all alone, i picked it up and thought i have not used it in a long time... but no, no sorry you go back too.

and i pick up my fatboy and boy it just feels right...

Mmmm Hmm it was a nice shave :thumbup:

Proraso red cream in my bowl
Rooney BeeHive 2 super badger
fatty with a shark blade, set to #5 , #7 and #9
alum block and then CF Sherlock after shave

thanks to gwsmallwood for hosting this thread and keeping track of everything this month! it was fun

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What am I going to do; take a used blade out of the Fatboy and put it in some other razor? NO! Keep shaving!

SOTD 3/1
Fatboy Lazy Dog on 5
Used Polisilver
Maggard's London Barbershop
Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Keeping the FB front and center!

and thanks for the inspiration gwsmallwood!

AA

I just got it! I can't stop shaving with it yet!

SOTD 3/1
Preshave shower and oil
Fatboy E2 on 2
Derby Extra (2)
TOBS Mr. Taylor (with a little William's)
Cold water
Pinaud Clubman AS

I believe that she is my new go-to razor! (Except for super speed saturdays)

This is the final tally based on the information from the thread. I'll give everyone a few days to take a look at it and submit corrections.

It looks like we had a few go 28 shaves this month, but unless I missed some counts or we had some fail to report in, nobody quite made it to 29 this year. The exception could be @skeezix, who hasn't checked in for a couple of days. Hope everything is ok.

Glad to see a few head shavers join me this year. I hope everyone was able to get to know their Fatboys a little better this month, and maybe got the chance to experiment a little with some different settings that they normally wouldn't bother with.

Thanks for joining me everyone.

NumberUsernameDate Code(s)Razor Call SignShave Tally
01Ad AstraE3 G1Cue Stick / Lazy Dog11
02beamonF2Garden Variety
03Batman9402E1Batarang
04Billski
05bkatbamna2
06BmblBF2Freebie21 Head
07brahymE31
08ChefJohnBoy-ardeeG3 G2Priceless
09corshaveE2Scarface
10darfooMcDreamy
11DCRIIIE3Brush Handle Envy21
12deezleE4John Doe6
13DesiF2 E4Keeper / Giddy13
14dexutterE2Wild Thing1
15dreadpirateButtercup
16FatboyFanG11
17FoolishMortalE2Sneaky27
18FrontlineFodderG1The Virgin10
19Funky 34sE2Stiffy11
20GraydogBi-Weekly
21gwsmallwoodF2Jolly Green Giant24 (14 Head / 10 Face)
22HighSpeedLaneThe Addict
23Inari7E4The Test Subject20
24jcoguerE3Sawbuck6
25jerrylee101F1The Gift28
26jrockD3
27kkellyE2 G1Step Children
28MacedonianHeroE1 E2The Favorite / The Backup2
29MarkD51E1The Monkey
30Mbg75E2Ol' Dirty18
31Metal4all6G4Stiff Upper Lip5
32MichWRF4Patience11
33Mike1E228
34Mike1911E3Boxcars17
35mikewoodG2Flea Bite25
36MouserF2The Gateway
37MudruckF1
38muiriddinF3Nearmint8
39nelamvr6E3Weeper Wiper7
40nelsonic21E4The Fuss17
41NesOneE4Light Duty8 Head
42Nick 55Daily Driver
43NsgatorsE3
44PaneledZeroF4Wild Bottom
45PenknightE3The Equalizer10
46RasputinE4 F3Giggles / ?19
47Ray GuyF1V28
48Red RiderE2The Exec1
49SkeezixxF2The Legendary Katrina Razor26
50SkypsydG1Cecil's Tribute1
51Space_CadetE3 E4 F1 F2 F4 G3Pride
52Spanish FleaE1Pappy's KISS6
53SteveWYE1Minty5
54TexFloodE1Dad's Labor of Love
55thumper4524G3Over Under17
56tonzoF1Better than a Zippo4
57troyE1 E1 F1 G3The Quadruplets27 Head
58VenkatE1Latecomer7
59wawmdE1
60zoobyD4Delta Echo Sierra Bravo (Silver and Black)3

3/1/2016 Face SOTD

My first post February shave went to my Fatip Grande. I got a Gunmetal version for Christmas that wouldn't align a blade. The return ended up being gold, and finally came in last week. This one does seem to allow proper blade alignment, but it takes a little work. This thing allows a ton of blade movement before tightening. The shave was pretty good, though it seems to like a much shallower angle than I'm used to.

$20160229_205457.jpg

3/1/2016 Face SOTD

My first post February shave went to my Fatip Grande. I got a Gunmetal version for Christmas that wouldn't align a blade. The return ended up being gold, and finally came in last week. This one does seem to allow proper blade alignment, but it takes a little work. This thing allows a ton of blade movement before tightening. The shave was pretty good, though it seems to like a much shallower angle than I'm used to.

View attachment 641504
I've been thinking of getting a Fatip Grande or Piccolo. But the quality horror stories that I keep hearing have kept me away. Chris Bailey ranted about razor manufacturers making razors with undersized posts on the cap allowing the blade to not line up every time. But the allure of a modern three piece razor that's also affordable keeps me hoping that Fatip has sorted out their quality issues.

I've been thinking of getting a Fatip Grande or Piccolo. But the quality horror stories that I keep hearing have kept me away. Chris Bailey ranted about razor manufacturers making razors with undersized posts on the cap allowing the blade to not line up every time. But the allure of a modern three piece razor that's also affordable keeps me hoping that Fatip has sorted out their quality issues.

It's not terrible, but it does take a minute or two of making sure it's straight with even exposure on both sides. The first one I got wouldn't allow me to get even exposure, no matter what I tried. If you're interested, I'll let you know in a week or so whether it's worth it or not.

1st post-Fatboy February shave.
Picked up a Gillette Milord last November, and cleaned it up last week. I'm pretty sure it's a 1946-'47.
It's a very mild razor, you really have to watch your angle or it will not cut. Like a mild Super Speed or Tech.
She gave me a DFS.
Cella Shave Creme/Soap?, I really like this creme or is it a soap?
Old Spice AS
Tomorrow I'll probably use a Type I injector I got two weeks ago, then a Schick '66 I got last month.

$20160301_114349 (1).jpg

First post Fatboy February shave.
M4 Slim adjustable on 6
Gillette Silver Blue blade.
Proraso Green.
VDH Badger Brush.
Clubman original AS.
$20160301_152100.jpg
Had to wait almost two weeks to shavewith it. But now I feel like I'm cheating on my Fatboy.

SOTD

Back to the good old Blue Tip which is my daily driver.

56 Blue Tip
Personna Blue (works great in the BT)
Omega boar brush
Arko soap
Sea Breeze and a cotton ball to clean the pores
Avon AS No idea what this one is actually called, but it works great and smells wonderful.

Top Bottom