What's new

Fatboy February - 2016 Edition

Post February SOTD
Super adjustable at 4
Virginia Sheng finest
Proraso white (still trying to finish the tub)
Gillette ASB

Good shave. This razor is pretty mild and forgiving at a 4, but still efficient. It'll be interesting to see how the different settings are on this razor.

[MENTION=87845]gwsmallwood[/MENTION]

Thank you for hosting this and keeping track of the numbers. It has been fun.

Good luck with your Fatip. I don't have one and not sure if this will help, but my OLD type sometimes doesn't want to load straight. I find it easier to get it straight by holding the posts instead of the cap or bottom plate while tightening.

Well, March is here so I decided to use my Slim Adjustable today. It's the same year and quarter as my Fatboy, G3. I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade for shave #8.
Soap Commander Courage soap
Razorock Plissoft barber handle
Three pass shave
Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm
Still a DVD.

The exception could be @skeezix, who hasn't checked in for a couple of days. Hope everything is ok.

Skeezix here!

I just got kind of busy toward the end of the month and missed a few posts. Amend my talley to 29 Please!

For today, March 1 I went back to my old regimen I have been using exclusively since last Fabulous Feb Fatboy Fest ended:

Razor- Progress LH. I like the Fatboy but I think I like the Progress a little better (and it's shinier)
Brush- Klenzo butterscotch I think I paid $8.00 for at a thrift store retrofitted with an experimental (to me) VS Pur-Tech synthetic nobody else bid on for 99 cents shipped. For less than $10.00 I wound up with a brush with cool vintage looks which outperforms every other one I own.
Soap-AoS Unscented. I am still 3017ing this same puck I opened Feb 10, 2015 and used exclusively since the last Fatboy Feb Fest ended.
AS-Clubman- My association with Clubman goes back over 40 years. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

$IMG_2327.jpg

Thanks Garret for offering Fatboy Feb again this year. I look forward to next year and wouldn't be surprised if I am still using the same puck of soap!

Wow ... I took part in FB February and I didn't even know it was going on.

I was in on the FB pass around (for Contributors) and had a chance to compare the FB against several razors in my regular rotation.

Having an FB in the den was a real treat. While I'm not a big fan of either TTOs or Adjustables, I really love this razor. I did a series of half-shaves with the FB on one side and one of my regulars on the other, and the FB held its own every time.

Its very versatile and could handle everything from a 1-day stubble to a 5-day beard, and the final results were just as good as I got from the regular razors and blades that I use for these widely varying conditions.

It does take some experience and trial-n-error to get the right blade and setting to use in the FB ... but even when I dialed it wrong, it was still quite a smooth and comfortable shave. Kicking it up or down a notch then made it darn near perfect.

This is the third time a FatBoy has passed through my den. I'd love to get one of my own to hang on to someday. But I've been looking for almost 8 years and I still haven't found one at the right price-point. Either they get snapped up before I can bid on them, or the price spirals out of reach too soon. Alas, the search goes on ...

Last edited:
I just now got my final shave in, and sadly it's March 1st when I finished it. The 28th and 29th were way too busy for me.

Shave 11

1959 Gillette Fatboy on 5.
Derby Extra, day eleven.
Proraso White pre shave cream.
Parker chrome handled silvertip.
TOBS Sandalwood shave cream.
Lafe 6oz alum block.
Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic.

The Derby Extra was still incredibly sharp and smooth on the eleventh shave, to be honest. I had three days worth of whiskers to go through, and I wanted to see if that blade would be able to complete the task. It did so effortlessly. I'm looking forward to trying one again for a much longer run a little later in the future, but I'm wanting to switch razors and blades right now. I have a perfect shave from a blade that many aren't fond of, and its longevity astounded me. Again, this blade will be in my permanent rotation.

As for my next shave, I'm actually thinking about going with my Maggard Razors MR5 handle with the Maggard Razors v1 open comb head loaded with a Treet Blue Special for fun. I'll also be sure to use my Maggard Razors synthetic brush when I do, just because I'm wanting to spend a few consecutive shaves with it. The cream and aftershave will be selected at random. The aftershave is more than likely going to be an Aqua Velva or English Leather, since I really enjoy those. It'll just depend in the moment.

Garrett, thank you for hosting this, and I look forward to taking part in this event as well as the One Blade in February event next year if I'm able. It's always so much fun to take part in them with you fine gentlemen. :)

It's not terrible, but it does take a minute or two of making sure it's straight with even exposure on both sides. The first one I got wouldn't allow me to get even exposure, no matter what I tried. If you're interested, I'll let you know in a week or so whether it's worth it or not.

For those who are interested...

First run with the Fatip on the dome today. Great shave. Easily just as comfortable and results were just as good as with my 2013 R41. I thought I would have more trouble with this razor just due to the difference in angle from what I'm used to. It was a very nice shave. The handle is just a tad bit slick, but not so much that I needed the alum block or anything. I do wish the handle was solid brass instead of hollow. I feel like it could use just a little bit more weight. Based on a sample of one, I think this one will stay in the den. I'm a few razors over my self-imposed limit right now, so I'm going to need to spend the next month or two figuring out which ones will go.

NumberUsernameDate Code(s)Razor Call SignShave Tally
01Ad AstraE3 G1Cue Stick / Lazy Dog11
02beamonF2Garden Variety
03Batman9402E1Batarang
04Billski
05bkatbamna2
06BmblBF2Freebie21 Head
07brahymE31
08ChefJohnBoy-ardeeG3 G2Priceless
09corshaveE2Scarface
10darfooMcDreamy
11DCRIIIE3Brush Handle Envy21
12deezleE4John Doe6
13DesiF2 E4Keeper / Giddy13
14dexutterE2Wild Thing1
15dpm802Loaner
16dreadpirateButtercup
17FatboyFanG11
18FoolishMortalE2Sneaky27
19FrontlineFodderG1The Virgin10
20Funky 34sE2Stiffy11
21GraydogBi-Weekly
22gwsmallwoodF2Jolly Green Giant24 (14 Head / 10 Face)
23gregkw1E1
24HighSpeedLaneThe Addict
25Inari7E4The Test Subject20
26jcoguerE3Sawbuck6
27jerrylee101F1The Gift28
28jrockD3
29kkellyE2 G1Step Children
30MacedonianHeroE1 E2The Favorite / The Backup2
31MarkD51E1The Monkey
32Mbg75E2Ol' Dirty18
33Metal4all6G4Stiff Upper Lip5
34MichWRF4Patience11
35Mike1E228
36Mike1911E3Boxcars17
37mikewoodG2Flea Bite25
38MouserF2The Gateway
39MudruckF1
40muiriddinF3Nearmint8
41nelamvr6E3Weeper Wiper7
42nelsonic21E4The Fuss17
43NesOneE4Light Duty8 Head
44Nick 55Daily Driver
45NsgatorsE3
46PaneledZeroF4Wild Bottom
47PenknightE3The Equalizer10
48RasputinE4 F3Giggles / ?19
49Ray GuyF1V28
50Red RiderE2The Exec1
51SkeezixxF2The Legendary Katrina Razor29
52SkypsydG1Cecil's Tribute1
53Space_CadetE3 E4 F1 F2 F4 G3Pride
54Spanish FleaE1Pappy's KISS6
55SteveWYE1Minty5
56TexFloodE1Dad's Labor of Love
57thumper4524G3Over Under17
58tonzoF1Better than a Zippo4
59troyE1 E1 F1 G3The Quadruplets27 Head
60VenkatE1Latecomer7
61wawmdE1
62zoobyD4Delta Echo Sierra Bravo (Silver and Black)3

I can see why the PolSilver Blades come at a premium based upon this morning's shave. I am already pricing bulk packs and am only one shave in...

I forgot to mention, check out the B&B Panjo site. There's a member that sells them at really good prices there.

Top Bottom