What's new

Exploring Combinations

lasta

Blade Biter
That's a good sign of a quality business. Mistakes get made and they reacted perfectly.

I've now pretty much settled on three shaves for a DE blade. It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can now appreciate the sharpness of a fresh blade, without worrying about getting bit by it. The second use is usually the best compromise of sharp, but not too sharp and comfortable. By the third shave I can tell the blade has degraded.

I hope you have a great vacation!
I assume you shave your beard too? Then your 3 shaves are more like other people's 6!

Maybe 9 considering there (usually) are more on top.

I assume you shave your beard too? Then your 3 shaves are more like other people's 6!

Maybe 9 considering there (usually) are more on top.
My current shaving cycle is my face on one day and my head on the next. This means I get to shave every day while not really being a daily shaver, of sorts. I don't think I've ever shave my face and my head on the same day.

I also have started keeping my face and head shave blades separate. Once a blade is used on my face I mark the wrapper with a "F" and then subsequent uses will also be on my face. I don't "store" blades in the razor, injector razors being the exception.

So far so good with the Hawk. The aggressive head isn't really that aggressive in my opinion. Maybe that's the combination with a KAI Mild though. We'll see if I change my tune when I eventually try a Feather Pro Super. I'm sure I said that in my initial post on it, but I figured it was worth re-mentioning.
The blade has held up well over four shaves. No noticeable change. That's epic for me. Normally after two I'm thinking whether I want to change it or not." At four with the AC style blade I'm still trying to figure out if I can even notice any change in the feel. If anything, due to my improved skills with the razor, it feels better.

I'm getting a better feel for using the razor, I can actually apply a fair bit of pressure on my trouble spots to kind of flatten them out. Obviously this takes good lather and you have to be careful, but the wider blade helps distribute that pressure well. Now, I'm talking pressure in shaving terms, I'm still being pretty gentle. I'm probably pressing half as firmly as I might with a three blade cartridge. The weight of the razor helps here as well. I think that's something that surprised me. I saw the numbers but I expected it to feel more handle heavy but it's pretty balanced for me. I am glad I didn't get the Ti handle. I might get the one piece stainless Halo later on. I like that design better visually. That said, I'm not unhappy with the Bulldog I got it with. The knurling is sharp but not crazy. It's comfy and secure in my hand. The only reason I'd change it is purely visual which means, knowing me, I won't ever actually do it unless I'm already ordering from them and it's on sale at the same time.

Visually I like the head, it's sleek and compact without feeling delicate or like it's trying to be minimalistic. It simply doesn't need to be larger to do the job. It also handles well. I don't have to deal with my chin or under my nose but I feel like it would do excellently. You don't have a lot of vertical space above the blade to get in the way of getting into tight spots.

Last night I got a 9/9 shave, which is comfort/closeness. Zero complaints there. It took four passes, which adds time, but didn't impact comfort. I was also trying out the Don Marco cream, which was very nice. That was my best shave yet with the Hawk, but confirmed that it's definitely doable. I'm going to keep going on the KAI until I notice it degrading, then switch to the Feather Pro and see how it differs. At this point I don't think I'll bother with guarded blades. I still haven't drawn any blood.

Obviously at four shaves down I missed a few days. I've got a couple more before I head out on vaca. So hopefully I get two more shaves in.

I've only got one shave with the Don Marco, but it was pretty nice. Slick, easy to lather, held up well. I was focused on the rest of the shave but the lather worked well and didn't give me any reason to complain. I did comment to myself that it created a LOT of lather for the amount of product used. For folks doing head and face in one shave that may be awesome.

Little comment on Don Marco.
Razorock creams are $8-10 dollars plus shipping at Italian Barber. That's just crazy cheap for something like this. Unless my later uses reveal some huge flaw, this is right up there with my other favorites. Now, I can't smell squat, so maybe that is an issue for some folks, but for me I'm looking at this and thinking that if I still like it this much after I've used it for a while, I may have to make it my primary. The cost per shave, the ease of lathering a croap vs soap... What's not to like? It uses their standard base which means I could easily try a few different options based on what aftershave I planned to use. Why spend twice as much? Plus, you can't knock their artwork.

Last night I got a 9/9 shave, which is comfort/closeness. Zero complaints there.
Hey, Remy! Glad to hear that you are off to a great start with the Hawk and that there's no buyer's remorse!
Little comment on Don Marco.
Razorock creams are $8-10 dollars plus shipping at Italian Barber. That's just crazy cheap for something like this. Unless my later uses reveal some huge flaw, this is right up there with my other favorites. Now, I can't smell squat, so maybe that is an issue for some folks, but for me I'm looking at this and thinking that if I still like it this much after I've used it for a while, I may have to make it my primary. The cost per shave, the ease of lathering a croap vs soap... What's not to like? It uses their standard base which means I could easily try a few different options based on what aftershave I planned to use. Why spend twice as much? Plus, you can't knock their artwork.
It's really a bummer you've got a poor schnoz that can't enjoy the Don Marco scent. My nose ain't the best, but I really like the smell! I couldn't agree more with your conclusion on RazoRock soaps. From the less expensive to the most, the Italians really can make some shaving soaps! Cello and TFS are other good "budget" Italian soaps/croaps!

Have a great vacation!

Isn’t the halo handle titanium instead of stainless steel? Or did you mean the smaller two piece halo handle? I really like that one (currently in terms of looks as I do not have one).
It's not listed as an option when buying the razor, but it's available individually. They've got a few variations now it seems.

I was just updating my razor/blade notes and continue to be amazed at the difference between the AC setup and a DE setup for longevity on the blade.
I do not think the Kai was ever quite as nice as a fresh Lab Blue in my Super Speed, but it was as good as most of my other top choices at their best and has not noticeably changed in 7 shaves. It's honestly hard to resist the habit to change the blade, but last nights shave on my neck, despite having a ton of growth, was outstandingly comfy and smooth.

The Kai Mild probably won't be my long term choice, it's still not quite as close a shave as I'd like without excess effort, but it's a delightfully easy shave with the Hawk V3A.

Figured I'd stop in and do an update.
I did 10 shaves with the Kai blade before swapping, and honestly, it felt fine at that point, I just wanted to try the Feather Pro.
I've done five shaves with the Feather now, and I think I prefer the Kai, it's smoother and I can't notice a difference in results. Neither impresses me as outstanding, but neither disappoints either.

I'm going through some other soaps from my earlier testing, most of my opinions from the DE blade testing hold up. I still like Incorporeal, Noble Otter and Barrister & Mann soaps the best. Catie's Bubbles, Don Marco, a few others are very nice. the Don Marco in particular I'm glad I have a whole tub. I'm not planning to buy anything for a while, but at some point I'll probably buy a full tub of something from Noble Otter and also Barrister & Mann. I also still want to try Stirling's unscented, but will probably wait till I'm low on Incorporeal, so.... Not for a while.

So, I tried an experiment today. One side with the Super Speed and a fresh Feather, the other side with the Hawk and the barely broken in Feather Pro AC blade. This was a full three pass shave, plus some cleanup. I gave the advantage of my better side to the Hawk, since I have more experience with the Super Speed.

The end result was a DFS+ but slightly better on the Super Speed's side, despite a couple decent weepers on that side on my neck. For me, using a fresh Feather, that's not totally unexpected, but not every time.

I am finding that if I'm doing one or two passes and just want a quality shave with the least time and hassle, the Hawk does wonderfully. It's efficient both in its cutting ability and width. It's enjoyable to use, and while the blades individually cost more, they last so much longer it's probably more cost effective in that regard. I'm not prone to milking a DE blade, they seem to fade fast for me and it starts cutting into the enjoyment of the process. If I want the best shave possible it's my Super Speed and one of my top choice blades. To get a better shave than the Hawk I have to do a full, careful, three pass shave plus cleanup. It takes almost twice as long in terms of the shaving portion of the process.

So, I'm not sure I mentioned that I video most of my shaves and have a YT channel a lot of them go on. @thedailyshave on YT.

My video for the shave I mentioned in the prior post did NOT work out. Camera/lighting issues. But, I had all the usual issues I have with Feather for a DE blade, particularly on shave one. It's just too harsh for me in the Super Speed. Second shave today was smoother but still not leaving that side of my neck super thrilled with me. BUT, the pair did out perform the Hawk V3A and a Feather Pro blade in terms of closeness. That said, I also pitched that feather DE blade after the shave and will be more than happy to go back to other stuff when I use the Super Speed or other DE razors. The things I do for video. It's not my "day job" but I do have a couple other channels that I put more effort into. lol The shaving thing is more for me, document the journey and also because it makes me actually LOOK at what I'm doing. If anyone else gets some fun out of it, awesome.

I'm giving RazorBladeClub another try, hopefully this order goes smoothly. One each of the Kai Captain Original and Feather Pro Super. A few months worth of Lab Blue's if I used them exclusively. Then a couple packs of things I either really liked but am out of or want just for giggles. They have some amusing blades and it's cheap.

In other news, with the P&G / Gillette plant in Russia closing, maybe I'll sell my Nacets once they become a bit scarce. I've used two blades and may eventually finish off that tuck, but don't plan to continue with them at all. Nice enough blade, but didn't do anything special for me in my razors.

Interesting observation yesterday. I shaved with a Wizamet Super Iridium and other than ATG on my neck, it was VERY smooth and comfy. Not quite fresh Lab Blue comfy, and definitely not for that ATG neck pass that can be such a make or break for me. But still, better than I remember from my original try. I've got the rest of the tuck around so I'll probably use them up over the next couple months, mixed in with using up the rest of my other samples.

If I'm not pushing for the best possible shave I don't think I really did have a BAD blade in the bunch. Some just didn't give me a particularly close shave and others gave me irritation if I pushed for that close shave, but at the very least all of them were good enough to use up in some manner or another. I think the Super Iridiums will be in the group I look forward to.

It's odd. I really like the AC format and it does give me a quicker, very nice shave. But the fact that I can't quite get a superb shave out of it bugs me. It's probably my skills failing, but that doesn't change the end result at this point in time. When I go into a shave wanting the closest possible results, I grab the Super Speed, when I want a good and fairly low effort shave, I grab the Hawk. The nice thing is that those days vastly outnumber the "close as possible" days, so it's not like I regret the purchase or anything silly like that. I'm also not really getting RAD for a second AC razor in an attempt to get closer. I don't think the issue is the razor itself. I think it's a combination of my trouble spots and the wider format. I'm actually considering getting the comb plate to see if that will get me closer by letting my trouble spots sort of lift into the gaps in the comb slightly. A few strokes over the area during each pass might let that do a better job than even the aggressive but solid guard.

Well, that was certainly a new experience.
I got my order from RBC and tried out the Feather Pro Super. That is a very different experience than any other blade I've used. Starting with actually nicking myself several times and clearly shaving off the tops of some minor bumps. I almost never give myself so much as a tiny weeper and this time I will be washing my face again after the balm finishes soaking in. Just a little damp cloth to get the blood off.

On the other hand, very good shave in terms of closeness, possibly one of the best so far with the Hawk. I will need to adjust my process a bit to best fit with the different attitude from the blade. The Super basically scrapes your skin CLEAN each stroke. You can buff a little, but you need to make sure you really BUFF and not just repeat stroke. You have to push some lather back into place or it's gonna tell you about it. The blade feels extremely sharp, very smooth and no chatter ATG on my neck. It's a significant amount of blade feel, but it's more of a positive feedback thing than a "oh man that's digging into me".

For anyone who hasn't followed along for the Razorock Hawk journey, it's a V3A, so we're already talking a pretty aggressive razor for a safety razor. This combination is now what I was kind of expecting/hoping I'd get. So now I just need to learn to use it properly or decide it's TOO much for me right now. Since I shave at night I don't have to worry about looking like a horror show when I go to work when my mistakes draw blood. The nice thing about an AC blade is that I've got probably ten or more shaves at a minimum before I need to decide if I'm buying a pack of them or not. Heck, if I'm not sure I can just order a couple more from RBC. Despite being international shipping it's stupid cheap and I'll just pick up a few more of my preferred DE's as well. I might get some odd ball stuff to use as give aways as well. Christmas and all that.

I was good for today. They were tiny, just more than one or two and it's such a rare thing...
So, I used it again today. Only two tiny weepers, more like 1.5 since one had already stopped before I finished shaving. I'm not a masochist, but I used the alum block to close things up and yeah, THAT was an experience I rarely have. Normally, even if I've overdone it, I get a little sting here or there. This was more of a mild Home Alone experience as I ran it over my face.

Shave rating went up though, this was definitely a 9. I did a 4th pass as a cleanup and have a few ideas on how I can improve my technique for a few spots with the Hawk. There are some areas where I can't get them as well as with the Gillette and I may have a solution with this blade. That extra it provides may let it get closer with several back and forth XTG passes rather than the ATG pass on my neck where I never seem to really get great results with the wider AC. To be fair, only a few blades to well there for the DE as well.

I'm not normally a reaction video kind of guy, but I may slice up the video from that first shave into just my initial reactions, maybe include the alum block experience... I'll have to see how it might look as a 30 second to one minute short on YT.

Ahhhhhhh, so nice. Did a full shave with some new technique on my neck, back on my super speed and lab blue. Excellent shave, really did the trick on my neck without as much cleanup needed. Any time I doubt whether the lab blues are worth it I get a shave like this and remember why I love them.

I've decided that the Pro Supers are just a bit too far with this base. Maybe with the standard or OC base they'd be perfect, but for now it's just too easy to nick myself slightly and I get more temporary irritation than I'm happy with. Nothing major, but it's taking away from the enjoyment.

Next up is the Kai Captain original. Then I either stick with the Titan Milds or Feather Pros that I have, or order more of the Captain Originals. Unless I'm super impressed with the new to me Kai blade, I'll happily stick with the ones I already have packs of, it's like a year's worth of blades.

All that said, I'm definitely leaning toward going back to primarily using the DE setups or a combination. AC on my face and DE on my neck. I don't regret the AC purchase at all, but at least in the current form it's not my do all razor.

I have used the Kai Captain Original a few times now and I think I rank it as slightly more aggressive than the Feather Pro but well under the Supers. I'm still not sure how I feel about them, but even with a somewhat annoyed face I got a reasonable shave with no nicks. I did a quick two pass, not looking for a super close shave, just to knock it back to a comfy shave. No issues, and a closer shave than I seem to recall getting with the Pro blade doing the same thing.

On the other hand, they're TWICE the real world cost assuming they last equally as long. At least here in the US they are. I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

So, we'll see, I will use it for a while and see if I think it's worth it over the less expensive Feather Pro blades. I doubt it, at this point. Not because it's not better for me, but because no matter WHAT I do, with this razor I don't get as close a shave as with my Super Speed and any of the top four or five blades from my tests. So if I'm after the best possible shave I use a different razor anyway. If I'm just looking for quick and comfy with a decent shave, the Pro blade does nicely.

One of the other blades I picked up from Razor Blade Club was a single pack of Treet 7 Days. In terms of price/performance, the Treet Platinums are great for me, so I was curious about some of their other stuff. I haven't used them enough to really give them a review, but I've finished one blade and my thoughts are good.

Bit aggressive and "sharp" feeling, but not harsh. I used it a couple times previously and then last night I went for a BBS shave and achieved it without much of a struggle and no irritation. That's even with a soap that is not bad but doesn't seem to suit me super well. I'm still using up my samples so I don't waste the product.

Blade feel and feedback is pretty good. Enough blade feel you know when you have the angle right, and enough feedback to tell you how you're doing without getting chatter. It's NOT as smooth as some of my other favorites, but better than most of the ones I don't call favorites. If I'd tried these before the Treet Platinums I may have picked them as my default bulk blade instead. I haven't done a back to back shave with the two yet so I'm not sure.

Top Bottom