What's new

Exploring Combinations

Errata: Last three words of the sentence didn't appear (sorry).

*much for some
Gotcha, makes more sense.

I've got the aggressive plate version, but may add the standard one later depending on how I feel with the razor. I was specifically looking to jump to the far side of the spectrum from my mostly mild stuff.

That may bite me, but I'm ok with that, it'll be a learning experience. Nothing motivates you to fix bad habits like bleeding for them.

I've got the aggressive plate version, but may add the standard one later depending on how I feel with the razor. I was specifically looking to jump to the far side of the spectrum from my mostly mild stuff.
It's always really nice to have that option with a lot of the RazoRock razors. I find the standard plate to be mild, but good for shaving every day without building up much residual irritation.

I do own the OC plate, but still haven't used it yet. I have it in the event I end up with more than 3 or 4 days of growth, which has not happened since I bought it.

That may bite me, but I'm ok with that, it'll be a learning experience. Nothing motivates you to fix bad habits like bleeding for them.
There's definitely more adrenaline involved that way.

I hope you really enjoy it!

Well, my razor is halfway here, my blades are showing as just label created still. The soap and skin food arrived today. So at least I can keep shaving without changing soaps every other day as I finish off samples. If the blades don't update at some point this evening I'm calling them tomorrow morning. Either USPS tracking is f-d, which is not unlikely, or the package got lost somewhere before USPS picked it up.

I'll be really bummed if my razor arrives and I don't have any blades to try it with.

Sounds like the shipping gods are testing your patience. Italian Barber are really good at getting their stuff shipped out pronto.

It will be great for you to at least have the razor. You could sleep with it like @Alum Ladd does. 🤣
I sleep with my TTO razors on cold nights. I don't like the idea of them getting cold and jammed up.

Obviously I take the blades out. Keeping the blades in would be abnormal behaviour obviously.
I've got one package inbound from the UK with no tracking so I'm in the dark. My other package coming from Spain showed a last update at the Madrid airport. I suppose I'll next see it pop up somewhere in NY in a few days.

Sounds like the shipping gods are testing your patience. Italian Barber are really good at getting their stuff shipped out pronto.

It will be great for you to at least have the razor. You could sleep with it like @Alum Ladd does. 🤣

I've got one package inbound from the UK with no tracking so I'm in the dark. My other package coming from Spain showed a last update at the Madrid airport. I suppose I'll next see it pop up somewhere in NY in a few days.
Yeah, Italian Barber got it moving quickly, but obviously they have the border and furthest to go. Razor Blade Club is the one I'm worried about, no update on the tracking... It could be in my mailbox right now, or it could have fallen behind something at their facility. But I can't source blades elsewhere without violating GRUME so I'm at the mercy of the shipping gods.

I think rather than sleep with it, I'll "shave" with it and make comments about it being so much more mild than expected.

Thanks. It'll be frustrating, but at least I'm not at the mercy of that order for blades in general. I'll run out of my preferred option in another six or so shaves, but I've still got a couple of my second choice too. It may not be my favorite, but they all shave.

Hey, Remy!

In case you are wondering, some of the emojis that can be selected instead of the generic like can be confusing. If you're curious, check out the bacon thread here. It's quite hilarious!

The cliff's note version as I think I know it, though I might not be correct...

troll=hug @lasta
bacon=a sign of high approval @Alum Ladd
spam=bacon lite @lasta

Clear as mud?🤣

I'm way too lazy for all that. At least on here I'm not the grumpy old fart.
I may be grumpy, and fart, but I'm probably on the younger side at mid 40's.
:pipe:

I'm way too lazy for all that. At least on here I'm not the grumpy old fart.
I may be grumpy, and fart, but I'm probably on the younger side at mid 40's.
:pipe:
Well, I'm guessing that makes you quite youthful considering the likely median age of this forum.🤔

My thoughts as well.
The mystery of my blade order is solved. I sent them a message and got a reply back quite quickly. Despite the shipping label being printed in NJ, the actual order is sent from their Swedish facility. So that label doesn't start doing anything until the package arrives in the US. They predicted that would be today or maybe Monday. So I'm just SOL I guess. Such is life. They were the only place I saw that would sell singles for AC blades and they had good prices on Lab Blues and ALSO had the Treet 7 days that I really wanted to try. So the trade off is I'm gonna wait.

My thoughts as well.
The mystery of my blade order is solved. I sent them a message and got a reply back quite quickly. Despite the shipping label being printed in NJ, the actual order is sent from their Swedish facility. So that label doesn't start doing anything until the package arrives in the US. They predicted that would be today or maybe Monday. So I'm just SOL I guess. Such is life. They were the only place I saw that would sell singles for AC blades and they had good prices on Lab Blues and ALSO had the Treet 7 days that I really wanted to try. So the trade off is I'm gonna wait.
As long as they make it, I doubt you'll even remember this hiccup after a couple weeks of great shaves with the Hawk!

BTW...my order from Connaught Shaving in the UK arrived in seven days...pretty amazing!

I just hope they make it in time to shave with it before I go on vacation. Because if not, then I'm waiting till basically the end of the month and won't have time to figure out what to restock.

Woot
Totally forgot I ordered a pack of Kai pink's separately from the sample blades. I did it before I decided to do the samples and totally spaced on it until they arrived this afternoon. I had a variety of blades in my amazon cart and they were on sale so I pulled the trigger before I started my other actual restock shopping.
So I WILL have something to shave with when the razor arrives. Not what I really had in mind for my first use of it, but I'm sure I can avoid slitting my throat too badly.

Nice shave tonight, definitely makes a difference when you've used the same products for a bit. Nothing new there.

I almost weakened and ordered blades, the ones I missed for the restock due to them being out of stock just restocked. But, I already have the Blue's coming and plenty of my next favorite which is only fractionally behind the ones that restocked. Plus, I'll be playing with the Hawk for most of the days I have available this month. If they're sold out again on the first, such is life. I'll be fine. Maybe I'll have discovered that the AC option is taking solid priority and the Blue's will last me quite a while for DE.

Well, that was both an excellent shave night and a bad one.
First the excellent. My Hawk came in and paired with a Kai Captain Titan Mild it was an excellent shave. I definitely need to work on my technique with the razor, but no blood shed at all and a 9 for closeness. Comfort was good but that's where the technique needs improvement. It's heavier than I'm used to and I feel like I was getting my angle wrong a few times and had to go back over things more. With a very aggressive razor, even with the mild blade, that did cause a little irritation but nothing major. Particularly on the areas that are normally less comfy while ATG, the Hawk and AC style blades did exactly what I hoped. Less chatter and bouncing, a smoother cleaner stroke. I didn't get a BBS shave on my neck, but close and the bulk of it's on my left side where I usually struggle when I change razors. I have to get that angle right and it's a tricky spot for me to do.

While my technique isn't there yet, I also feel like it was more efficient than my Super Speed. Not massively so right now, but I can see where it will improve as I do, and would perk up further with a standard blade. There was definitely the feeling that the first two passes each did a more complete job than my other razors. I could feel the difference more as a section of skin was "done" for that pass if I was doing buffing at all, which I foolishly was. I admit, the irritation is almost entirely my fault, I was determined to have the first shave be a really close one if I could.

Overall, very happy with the Hawk V3A so far. No complaints.

Now the bad part. My blade order got screwed up, so I'm out of Lab Blues and don't have my samples of AC blades. Instead my package was a 100pack of Nacets, which I'm curious about but didn't buy and don't need. I emailed customer service, we'll see what they want to do.

Well, that was both an excellent shave night and a bad one.
First the excellent. My Hawk came in and paired with a Kai Captain Titan Mild it was an excellent shave. I definitely need to work on my technique with the razor, but no blood shed at all and a 9 for closeness. Comfort was good but that's where the technique needs improvement. It's heavier than I'm used to and I feel like I was getting my angle wrong a few times and had to go back over things more. With a very aggressive razor, even with the mild blade, that did cause a little irritation but nothing major. Particularly on the areas that are normally less comfy while ATG, the Hawk and AC style blades did exactly what I hoped. Less chatter and bouncing, a smoother cleaner stroke. I didn't get a BBS shave on my neck, but close and the bulk of it's on my left side where I usually struggle when I change razors. I have to get that angle right and it's a tricky spot for me to do.

While my technique isn't there yet, I also feel like it was more efficient than my Super Speed. Not massively so right now, but I can see where it will improve as I do, and would perk up further with a standard blade. There was definitely the feeling that the first two passes each did a more complete job than my other razors. I could feel the difference more as a section of skin was "done" for that pass if I was doing buffing at all, which I foolishly was. I admit, the irritation is almost entirely my fault, I was determined to have the first shave be a really close one if I could.

Overall, very happy with the Hawk V3A so far. No complaints.

Now the bad part. My blade order got screwed up, so I'm out of Lab Blues and don't have my samples of AC blades. Instead my package was a 100pack of Nacets, which I'm curious about but didn't buy and don't need. I emailed customer service, we'll see what they want to do.
I'm glad that you had blades and were able to shave with and enjoy your new Hawk! Sounds like you are going to have fun with the AC blades.

Bummer about the wrong blades being sent...but on a bright note...Nacet are my favorite blade. IMO you could have been sent a lot worse option.

Totally agree. And they were good about it. Quick refund and I can keep the Nacets. So my only gripe is that I'm limited in my choices for the AC stuff and out of Lab Blues still, but I've GOT blades for the Hawk and expect that at most I'll change that blade once between now and when I go on vacation. I plan to keep the Titan mild in there for at least one more blade while I learn the razor a bit. That would put me at next month, honestly, with vaca travel.

The Nacets were on my radar but I'm pretty happy with the couple options I've already picked out, so I wasn't going to order any. I'm not a Gillette fan when it comes to the modern company, they can kiss my butt. However, they offer good blades and I'm perfectly happy to give them a try and if I like them well enough I'll put off ordering anything else for a while when it comes to DE blades. If not, I'll sell or PIF them

Today's shave was more comfy, about the same smoothness. I think I'm getting the angle wrong still and need to figure that out. I tried to ride the cap more today and also started tuning my pattern for the wider blade. Regardless, not a shave I'm gonna complain about and felt just as good in terms of the blade as yesterday, if not better. I'm curious how I feel about it after a few more, I've yet to find a DE I was really happy with after 4 and usually after 3 I'm adjusting my shave to compensate and accepting less closeness and comfort.

And they were good about it. Quick refund and I can keep the Nacets.
That's a good sign of a quality business. Mistakes get made and they reacted perfectly.
I've yet to find a DE I was really happy with after 4 and usually after 3
I've now pretty much settled on three shaves for a DE blade. It's taken me a while to get to the point where I can now appreciate the sharpness of a fresh blade, without worrying about getting bit by it. The second use is usually the best compromise of sharp, but not too sharp and comfortable. By the third shave I can tell the blade has degraded.

I hope you have a great vacation!

Top Bottom