What's new

Dremel and cordless tool recomendations?

These tools are going to be used in my first attempt to restore a brush, but will be mainly used for around the house. The Dremel needs a cord, but I'm also wanting a cordless drill or maybe a cordless combo. My only problem is there are so many to choose from, and I want quality stuff. Any recomendations? Any of you here also contractors and can point me in the right dirrection?

I'm not a contractor but a very serious DIY'er. I've worked construction and spent a great deal of time specing out tools for manufacturing shops. In my personal experience, Milwaukee makes the best electric power tools you can get. I have an M18 cordless kit consisting of the drill, 1/4" impact driver, circular saw and a light. I've got a corded sawzall, 4-1/2" angle grinder (probably the hardest used of the bunch) 2 sanders, and a miter saw. All Milwaukee and all have seen very hard use. These tools have never let me down. Just my 2 cents...

I don't think you can get much better than the standard Dremel tool with whatever attachment kit you want to buy. Do yourself a favor and pick up a kit that has the drill press attachment for the Dremel, its totally worth having. That said I would avoid all the other little attachments like the router or the mini skill saw, they are clunky and somewhat dangerous in my opinion and real versions of those tools will serve you better and safer.

As to a cordless drill, if you are using it to do wire brush work or using a sanding disc (something you would use a Dremel for) its not recommended for cordless drills and can wear out your brushes quickly. I love my cordless drills (Panasonic, DeWalt, Makita, and Hilti) but I've got standalone Milwaukee corded drills for that kind of work.

These tools are going to be used in my first attempt to restore a brush, but will be mainly used for around the house. The Dremel needs a cord, but I'm also wanting a cordless drill or maybe a cordless combo. My only problem is there are so many to choose from, and I want quality stuff. Any recomendations? Any of you here also contractors and can point me in the right dirrection?

Milwaukee has made outstanding equipment for a long time. It is unfortunate that it is now all made in, as well as owned by, a Chinese company. Have to see if the newer equipment holds up as well as what was made in the past.

For a Dremel type rotary tool, I would recommend the Black & Decker RTX. Plenty of power, less expensive than the Dremel, and works with all the Dremel accessories. They can usually be found locally at Wal-Mart and Target.

We just bought a Lowes Blue Hawk rotary tool. Takes all of the dremel accessories and bits and it was $49 regular price at our lowes. Bought my dad a dremel 4200 kit and he loves it. I'd say format do it yourselfers, either would make long term assets to tinkering.

Top Bottom