What's new

Dr Martens Boots/Shoes?

Mid- to late 70s I was a huge fan. Oxblood DMs, jumping up and down on the terraces at Portman Road, ah happy memories. I did have a pair for a while in the 90s and took them to Jakarta with me when I first went in 95, I rarely wore them, strange to relate. If I was back in more temperate climes I might try and get a Vintage pair again, just for nostalgia's sake.

They still make some in England. Go to their website, they're listed prominently. I have three pairs of Chinese Docs and they're my favorites. They're insanely comfortable. I don't care if they're made in England, China, or the moon, good shoes are good shoes, and they can be made anywhere.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I dont care where they are made as well, the problem I have seen lately is the quality of leather they are using is sub par. I have a pair of oxblood that almost feel like plastic on the outside. Its a shame.

I have a pair of English made Doc's that are in fine shape even after 30 years and a couple of pairs of Chinese ones that I bought recently that are just OK.
I did see the English made one still on sale in the UK last year, but they are expensive.
The main difference I see with the Chinese ones in in the lining and insoles, their don't have the fitted leather lining my older Doc's do. The AirWave sole seems pretty much the same, a bit thicker. The stitching isn't as precise, but I can't really compare the shine - 30 years of polishing makes a difference.
I don't expect to get the same wear out of the new ones, but I think I might be buried in the originals.

These look a good idea for the heavier chap or ageing Doc boot/shoe-

proxy.php

The insoles on my for life boots especially at the heel have taken a bit of a battering, has anyone tried these or any of the other insoles Doc Martens offers?

used to be a Dr.M fans, but switched to Red wings boots couple years back. check out the redwing 1907 or 875...looks great with a pair of raw denim

Anybody interested in boots still made in the UK check out these brands as I feel they are superior to DMs(even the old ones)
Gripfast:
$gf_10burgcapnew_1.jpg

Solovair. Its worth noting that Solovair is essentially the same as UK Doc Marten. They produce in the same factories DM used to use:
$nps010-1.jpg

Forget exactly where but I know these are handcrafted in EU.
Steel-Toe:
$daljeets_2268_242922473.gif

I just bought a pair, great shoes. Mine are made in Vietnam, but they are by far the most comfortable boots/shoes I have. I'm on my feet for 12+ hours at a stretch and when I come home my feet don't hurt.

My first pair were when they were still made in England. I've had a couple others since made in China and for me they were absolute crap. Soles came apart, stitching came apart and the whole inside of the shoe basically just tore into pieces. I won't justify paying double what I used to for the Docs made in England today. I'll just spend that kind of money at Red Wing for shoes that I know will hold up.

No they look a little bit like grinders though. For all I know its possible they are 'rebranded' but the tags, boxes, etc all say "Steel-Toe" is the brand name. I can never find any info about them because when you search steel toe a lot of other stuff comes up.

I still wear "Docs" today, wore them in my mosh pit days and will rock a pair to my grave.

The lack of 1/2 size makes them unbearable for work for which i wear the standard issue Belleville.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I still wear "Docs" today, wore them in my mosh pit days and will rock a pair to my grave.

The lack of 1/2 size makes them unbearable for work for which i wear the standard issue Belleville.

IIRC, Solovair makes half sizes still.

I love my Docs, bought them from Schuch in Glasgow and picked a dark brown colour, quite unusual and very comfy. They get a lot of positive comments.

Is the MIE 1460 a corrected grain leather? Is corrected grain bad? I just ordered a pair of black smooth and am wondering about their longevity.

As someone who had a pair of Doc Martens as a teenager, I just couldn't say "no" when my 7-year old daughter asked for these ...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426803195.740183.jpg

Miguel - Being my Asian Docs seems to have lasted about four years I can’t imagine UK ones wouldn’t make it that long. Just remember to use the Wonder Balm once in a while. Everyone I know that still wears Docs have blown out the leather. Side wall splits wide open. I only treated mine once a year but I have a feeling if I gave them more TLC they would have lasted longer.

Dgreene – My six year old asked for a pair of floral ones unfortunately they didn’t have any in her sized. Hope you kid enjoys hers.

Johnny

proxy.php

My last pair was bought February 2011 and still going. My previous shoes 1461 lasted 4 years. My wife gave me a gift card for Christmas so I got a new pair. Tried on a few pairs in the store. Slight differences in fit, almost got the red ox-blood but these black fit like a glove. Interested in seeing how long these ones will last. I know people don’t seem to like overseas manufacturing but 4-10 years is a good run in my mind.
Johnny
Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom