What's new

Done with Derby

So far (I'm quite new at this) I haven't liked them. They came with my EJ 86 so my first DE shaves were with one and it was an improvement over cartridges, but the moment I tried it with a different blade I saw an immediate improvement. In addition to the two blades left in my original tuck, I have one blade from a sampler, and the two RazoRock razors I ordered came with a tuck of Derby so I have 13 blades to use. I plan to give them another chance in a few shaves to see if they are better now that I'm a better DE shaver, and I plan to give them a chance every couple months, but I suspect I won't be buying more.

I think that you get them with EVERY seller of razors, just like Cloud tend to come with 'better' Chinese ones. Makes me wonder how many people are turned off of DE shaving because of poor quality blades coming with a decent razor.

I decided to 'take one for the team' so to speak and shaved with a new Derby Extra blade (circa 2007) and a Gillette 1953 TV Super Speed. Lathered with Cella from a brick a friend just sent me a couple of pucks out of. First time with Cella and I like it. So did my prep, lathered up with a Tulip 3, and did a two pass shave to BBS with no problems.
P1020660.JPG
I did an advanced search for what I posted about it years ago. So I found 2 posts from September, and November of 2007. If you have the patience to read through the November one, you'll find I felt the same as others who hated the Derbys, but changed my mind.

Another Shot @ the Derby Extra

How I learned Patience & to Love the Derby Extra
BTW, I may have 'learned to love the Derby', and I did buy a bunch of them, but I hadn't shaved with one since shortly after I posted that thread. Glad this came up, I'll revisit them more often.

I used Derby blades in an informal blade challenge I did last winter. I found them sharp and smooth, but they only lasted 4-5 shaves compared to some others like Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and green, Astra SP and GSB that easily lasted 7+ shaves. As usual YMMV...

I tried using Derby blades when I was still developing my technique, and gave them a 2nd chance about a year later, and now I can say quite honestly.......

I will never allow Derby blades to darken my doorstep again (unless I buy them cheap to sell or PIF)

BUT - not because of the quality of shave, I got 3 fairly close, smooth shaves per blade - It was the side effects that put me off using Derby blades......

Every time I shaved with a Derby, it left my face and neck feeling hot, puffy, sweaty, red and unbelievably itchy
No other blade has ever had that effect on my skin - not even the dreaded Indian made Laser, Super-Max Stainless or Gillette Wilkinson Swords
To be fair, I think it was an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the coating, but there are a lot of better blades out there

I tried using Derby blades when I was still developing my technique, and gave them a 2nd chance about a year later, and now I can say quite honestly.......

I will never allow Derby blades to darken my doorstep again (unless I buy them cheap to sell or PIF)

BUT - not because of the quality of shave, I got 3 fairly close, smooth shaves per blade - It was the side effects that put me off using Derby blades......

Every time I shaved with a Derby, it left my face and neck feeling hot, puffy, sweaty, red and unbelievably itchy
No other blade has ever had that effect on my skin - not even the dreaded Indian made Laser, Super-Max Stainless or Gillette Wilkinson Swords
To be fair, I think it was an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the coating, but there are a lot of better blades out there

Yea, I had the same problem with them. The only blade I've ever used that gave me mysterious puffy red spots on the neck. Pretty sure it was an allergic reaction. No more derbies for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Adam, felicitations! Hope the hip is doing some better. Your post and the gentleman's directly after make me wonder if the problem (s) I had weren't the coating? The thought never crossed my mind till now...

My experience was similar. The only blade that has given me a red razor burn type reaction. I gave them a second chance after improving my technique but still couldn't get on with them.

I agree with the posts above. Derbies made a mess of my head and neck. Took too many passes.

I will hold on to them to try in a more aggressive razor if I ever end up buying one

I've been trying the Derbys that came with my new EJ89 - I get 2 decent/acceptable shaves and the 3rd is painful with razor burn along jaw and neck. So I am going to skip using them and save them for emergency/2 day travel/etc. Going to try Astra SP tonight or tomorrow morning depending on the healing of the bumps from the Derby last night. Maybe they just don't stay sharp enough for me.

Maybe they will work better in the Slim or SS, but I'm in ho hurry to find out.

I found the Derby Extra ("green Derby") totally incompatible with my skin and beard. The more recent Derby Premium ("black Derby") is much better. It provides very smooth and close shaves, unfortunately not for very long. After five, six shaves the blade becomes noticibally harsher. IMHO, the Derby simply cannot replace the ASP or Feather, not even the Personna. I prefer the three last mentioned over even the black Derby any day of the year.

Derby blades...the one and only blade that would not allow me to finish a single pass.
Never bothered to try another.
Derby should stop manufacturing razor blades, and try something else...maybe soft hats.

FarmerTan

Derby blades...the one and only blade that would not allow me to finish a single pass.
Never bothered to try another.
Derby should stop manufacturing razor blades, and try something else...maybe soft hats.
You've won my vote for post of the day!

I'm done, too. I've tried them 4 or 5 times over the course of a couple years with the same results: pulling and dragging. I like the plastic container they come in (with a slot for used razors,) but that's about it.

FarmerTan

The packaging probably costs the company more than the blades.....

They are fine for me but I do notice a difference from say my Personnas. They also don't last as many shaves which means for me they really aren't a bargain. I'm also using them in a mild razor so that helps. I certainly can continue to use them but I doubt if I will buy more unless I can get them for a really good price.

Some like them but Derbys are a bit on the low side of average for me. I am with the group: too many better options for me.

Derby is apparently popular with the barber crowd for their thinning razors, as is Dorco. (spoke with a beauty supply shop owner. HUGE store. Two kinds of blades, one lather making machine, and that's about it for shaving)

When you _know_ you'll get rid of the blade between people, then the lowest cost blade would be the answer, especially when it doesn't touch flesh.

I also don't understand the unhappiness with Derby. I find them smooth and giving a good shave. For a long time, they were my go to blade. The only reason I don't use them now is because I can't buy them conveniently where I am. I mostly use Gillette Blue now, which is similar to Derby. Different skin types I guess. Maybe.

Top Bottom