What's new

Ditching satellite television

I have been looking at the satellite television bill for awhile.
This bill is $68 a month/$816yr.
I talked to the wife and asked her what channels she definately had to have so I could look at switching to a less expensive package.
The responce I got is "It really doesnt matter because there is never on anyway" made me think I should just cancel the service and get a over the air antenna.
I ordered a set of coupons for the digital converter boxes from https://www.dtv2009.gov/ so I would not have a problem with being compatible.
These came in the mail this weekend and I purchased the 2 boxes
I then went to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx to look at what channels I had available over the air in my area.
They also had reviews for antennas.
This looked promising!

I canceled the service this weekend and went up on the roof and took down the dish but leaving the mast intending to use this for the new antenna.
Off I went to find my antenna.
Well this is where a wheel falls off.
The only way to get this antenna is online and even if the wife says ""It really doesnt matter " there better be something on the TV before the sun goes down.
I looked all over town but no one including radioshack keeps antennas in stock.

I decided the only thing to do is fabricate a temporary antenna.
I went googleing and found the coathanger antenna

Picture the wife sitting on the couch with "the look" and her shock when the TV springs to life.
I'm getting stations as far as 40 mi away and in HD!
I can't wait for the new antenna to get here but for now the wife is happy and that means I'm happy. :001_smile

I've been seriously considering the same as you but I'm moving to an area that doesn't have many stations nearby and don't know if it'd be worth it. On the other hand, if your coat hanger is enough to cover that distance, maybe I should give it a shot.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for revitalizing this project. :biggrin:

I've never had satellite TV, but I had cable up until about five years ago. I got tired of paying for it, so I had my cable shut off and got a rabbit-ear antenna. I switched to the digital converter a couple of months ago, which I use in tandem with the rabbit ears. I usually get a crystal-clear picture, although digital breakup occasionally messes up the picture. Still, I'm saving more than enough to pay for my shaving supplies.

Mike

I've been seriously considering the same as you but I'm moving to an area that doesn't have many stations nearby and don't know if it'd be worth it. On the other hand, if your coat hanger is enough to cover that distance, maybe I should give it a shot.

I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for revitalizing this project. :biggrin:

Try going to the antenna.org site and hit the "choose antenna button.
Enter your zip code and this will show you how many stations,what direct and the distance from the transmitter.
This antenna is a knockoff of the commercially available DB4 HDTV Antenna

This can be mounted easily in the attic and if you found an inexpensive amplifier say off a powered set of rabbit ears or from an old rooftop could be made just that much better.

I am really amazed at how well it works.
The other day I watch an episode of Sport Pilot which wasn't even in the program lineup on the sattelite

Try going to the antenna.org site and hit the "choose antenna button.
Enter your zip code and this will show you how many stations,what direct and the distance from the transmitter.
This antenna is a knockoff of the commercially available DB4 HDTV Antenna

This can be mounted easily in the attic and if you found an inexpensive amplifier say off a powered set of rabbit ears or from an old rooftop could be made just that much better.

I am really amazed at how well it works.
The other day I watch an episode of Sport Pilot which wasn't even in the program lineup on the sattelite

Shame I'm in Canada. :biggrin:

I think the nearest zip code I can use is somewhere in ND.

How come?

Where do I start. First horrendous customer service. It takes a long time to reach a rep and its pretty much useless. As in they don't care! They usually seemed like I was inconveniencing them. Second cable service is poor. Frequent interruptions, stalling during shows, and the ever famous Please Wait on a black screen that has lasted anywhere from 5 seconds to 15 minutes:eek:! On demand service is very unpredictable. We had a bundle; cable, road runner internet, and phone (VOIP). Phone quality was poor and they told me I needed a faster internet connection, happily making the next tier available.:mad: I know a lot of people that have their service (Only cable in town) and not one would consider the service more the mediocre.

Where do I start. First horrendous customer service. It takes a long time to reach a rep and its pretty much useless. As in they don't care! They usually seemed like I was inconveniencing them. Second cable service is poor. Frequent interruptions, stalling during shows, and the ever famous Please Wait on a black screen that has lasted anywhere from 5 seconds to 15 minutes:eek:! On demand service is very unpredictable. We had a bundle; cable, road runner internet, and phone (VOIP). Phone quality was poor and they told me I needed a faster internet connection, happily making the next tier available.:mad: I know a lot of people that have their service (Only cable in town) and not one would consider the service more the mediocre.

Your experience with Time Warner is the exact opposite of mine, when I lived in Orange county, CA and San Diego, CA. My experience with TW was so good that when we moved to Austin TX we got TW with out looking at any of the other options. The only complaint about TW in Austin is that the customer service center is always busy, and slow.
Your experience sounds like mine with Comcast.

I already have an antenna, and an amplifier, in the attic. I believe it is the DB4 that is referenced above. I discontinued DirecTV a few months ago. And I would imagine that, with the present economy, lots of folks are doing likewise.

Thanks for the link to the youtube video on the DIY antenna. If you install an antenna outdoors, be sure to follow proper grounding requirements. These are typically indicated in the instructions for installing a manufactured antenna. However, the DIY video does not cover this. Granted, he is using it indoors.

My experience with Time Warner exactly. I had them in Austin, though, and the service was much better.

I've been getting over the air digital for the last year now and have no need for cable or satellite. The few shows I do want to see that are on premium services I can usually find on the web for free, so I don't see the point.

Time Warner has been good here in the Central Ohio area. Come to think of it, I'm posting from someone's house where they have the whole package deal of Internet, phone and TV services. No problems.

Paying for TV is getting old. With websites such as YouTube and (this website that starts with an "H" that I can never remember), there is so much entertainment available for free.

If you have to watch live sports, you can subscribe to a service on your computer. That's even cheaper than TV (MLB, for example, runs around $115 a year),

V

VR6ofpain

I bought a $38 Philips HDTV antenna at WalMart. I wondered why the reception was bad. Now I know why.

I entered my address and it came up with 9 channels. When I entered "show digital only" I got this:

There are no digital stations predicted to serve this location.

I already have an antenna, and an amplifier, in the attic. I believe it is the DB4 that is referenced above. I discontinued DirecTV a few months ago. And I would imagine that, with the present economy, lots of folks are doing likewise.

Thanks for the link to the youtube video on the DIY antenna. If you install an antenna outdoors, be sure to follow proper grounding requirements. These are typically indicated in the instructions for installing a manufactured antenna. However, the DIY video does not cover this. Granted, he is using it indoors.

My temp antenna is also inside but the replacement will be on the roof.

I am sometimes of the school that says "When all else fails,read the instructions" so I could of missed that.
Thanks for the heads up.

Paying for TV is getting old. With websites such as YouTube and (this website that starts with an "H" that I can never remember), there is so much entertainment available for free.

If you have to watch live sports, you can subscribe to a service on your computer. That's even cheaper than TV (MLB, for example, runs around $115 a year),

http://www.hulu.com/

What sucks for us Canadians is all these shows that are available for free off the net, aren't available to us.

:(

I need to look into circumventing that restriction.

EDIT: I just realized the Global website has Heroes (and other shows) online. I thought it was just the NBC website. Damn. Why didn't I notice that earlier?

Last edited:
Top Bottom