What's new

Disassembly of a Sheaffer nib.

I've searched through YouTube but haven't found this exact pen. It's gunked up. I've had it soaking in ammonia for a week and still skips. Apparently Sheaffer used adhesive to put this section together but with some heat it should come apart. Anyone done this? It looks to me like it should come apart where the silver metal meets the black plastic. But then there's that gold ring. Is it decorative? Or a section? Don't want to be reefing on the wrong part. Any help/advice appreciated.
Imagepipe_13.jpg

The Targa nib sections can be disassembled but if you haven't done it before (and learned from those mistakes), then there is a very real risk of permanently damaging the section.

Are you sure the skipping is not a result of a misalignment of the ties? That would be a lot easier to fix...

Look at the tines through a loupe/magnifying glass from straight on: they should look like this (|) - ie, symmetrical and level. If not, you can expect skipping and/or scratchiness/catching.

Post some photos of the nib from a variety of angles, the gap in the photo above looks too wide for that type of nib, which could also cause flow problems.

Got it! Thank you @silverlifter! That link is exactly my pen. I don't feel like I wrecked anything. I'm not used to such fine tools and usually use a vise and pliers for stubborn things. But a few minutes with a hair dryer was the touch.
Imagepipe_17.jpg
Imagepipe_18.jpg
Imagepipe_19.jpg
Thanks for your eye on the pens nib. I don't have a good camera, but here it goes:
Imagepipe_24.jpg
Imagepipe_25.jpg
Imagepipe_26.jpg
Imagepipe_27.jpg

Getting good shots of small things is way beyond my camera skills! I borrowed my wife's Pixel phone which at least has a better camera than my BlackBerry!
Imagepipe_29.jpg
Imagepipe_28.jpg

It's difficult to tell, but in the bottom photo, is the left tine slightly higher than the right?
No, the pen is laying a bit crooked. I used a magnifying glass to look at them and they look even.
You mentioned earlier that if the tines were misaligned that it would be easier to fix than taking the pen apart. Can you explain that. You've already been more than generous. Thank you.

If the tines are slightly misaligned, for example the left higher than the right, then certain strokes will either skip as ink isn't delivered to the page, or the sharp inner edge of the tine will catch on the paper, making the nib feel scratchy.

I recommend in the strongest possible terms that you don't try and dissemble the nib unit yourself. Although I've never tried it myself I have been advised by people that know about pens that it is a nightmare to get them set up and leaktight again once they are back together.

Most fountain pen maintenance on most pens is easy enough to learn yourself. These old sheaffer nibs are a bit of an exception (a pity really, I think that they look great). I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic to recommend anyone myself, but my advice would be to send it to a professional on this occasion.

I've had it soaking in ammonia for a week and still skips.
I experienced skipping on a Touchdown and found I needed to adjust my writing angle. It works well when I have the correct angle so I would try using your pen a little more and experiment with the writing angle before you attempt to remove that nib; not advisable in my view. From your photo the tines look even to me so I don't think that is a problem.
I also found the Touchdown has a wet nib (medium) in comparison to my Targa but that is another aspect. I bought it second hand so perhaps the previous owner used it at a different angle from what I am accustomed to.
The Targa I have had from new and it is about 40 years in use; great pen.

I took the Sheaffer to work today and wrote about two paves of notes with no skipping and no leaking after completely disassembling it and soaking the individual parts in ammonia solution over night.

Many thanks to those who helped me here.

Top Bottom