What's new

Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs

So my 4 year old Stonehaven in the bag might be shot? it's in my cigar humi but...
There is a chance - a very slight chance, but a chance nonetheless - that the bag could have developed a pinhole. Normally over four years that would mean crispy dry tobacco, but if it's been sitting in your cigar humi you would have the opposite problem.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is a chance - a very slight chance, but a chance nonetheless - that the bag could have developed a pinhole. Normally over four years that would mean crispy dry tobacco, but if it's been sitting in your cigar humi you would have the opposite problem.

Dang guess I need to tear open the bag.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMG_5936.JPG
So, yes the bag had some holes right at the top of the bag where the excess foil is folded over. It actually looked more like the aluminum oxidized and dissolved vs. stress.

Here's what 4 year old Stonehaven looks like from a bag with pinholes stored in a humi:

Except for some dry spots seems ok. Some sugar crystals as well. Guess I am gonna smoke it!

I'd take it out of the bag, and jar it up. One of the dont's in pipe tobacco is don't ever put it in your cigar humidor unlike cigars it can absorb the cedar and other cigars. I'd suspect your Stonehaven is fine, I'd still slice it open and jar it up if it were mine that eliminates all concern and you get to watch the aging process.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'd take it out of the bag, and jar it up. One of the dont's in pipe tobacco is don't ever put it in your cigar humidor unlike cigars it can absorb the cedar and other cigars. I'd suspect your Stonehaven is fine, I'd still slice it open and jar it up if it were mine that eliminates all concern and you get to watch the aging process.

Yup! Shopping for a big mason jar tomorrow,

Hobby lobby or Michaels type stores sell them individually for a real decent price. About once a month they put them half off too.

A quart mason jar holds 8oz of Stonehaven nicely without having to bend, fold or cut the beautiful slices.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Scratch that, you posted while I was typing :)

Oh yeah, that's the heavenly Stonehaven right there!

I wish they had a pop-up telling you who was in the midst of replying to a thread so you could see what was gojng on in real time.

Oddly I just totally missed your post somehow, shows you posted 25 min before I did haha. Oh wells what matters is that Stonehaven is in fine shape.

It looks terrible. You should send it to me for safety testing. If it's alright I'll send the remainder back to you for your enjoyment. Shouldn't take more than 7 1/2 ounces to ensure accurate testing.

Top Bottom