What's new

Cremo Lathering Shave Cream?

Greetings. This is my first post here.

I purchased a tub of the Cremo Lathering Sandalwood Cream recently from Target and was less-than-impressed with how the lather turned out. As some others have noted, it goes on rather thin and can break down quickly. Anyway, I sent a message to Cremo about this, and they responded that this product has been reformulated, and they'll be sending me a free tub of the newer version. I don't know if the reformulated version has hit the stores yet or not, and I'll look to post an update when I get the new version in the mail.

This morning I gave the original version of their lathering cream another try, but without a brush or attempt to build up a lather. Just rubbed it into my washed, wet face with my fingers and shaved with my Merkur 38HD with an Astra platinum blade. The shave was good. Slickness was nice and never felt like I was needing more cushioning. Worth noting: I'm a newbie to DE shaving and my only other frame of reference to non-aerosol shaving cream or soap is with Proraso Refreshing soap in a bowl.

I'm pasting the message I received from Cremo below as a reference. It also includes their suggestion about the best cream-to-water ratio for the current product. Hope this info helps. Happy shaving!

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email and inquiry.

We have in fact reformulated our Lathering Cremo to be more lathering and to enhance the Sandalwood scent. Why don't you send us your mailing address, and we'll send you a replacement tub of our new Lathering Shave Cream. We promise satisfaction and we mean it.

And, before you chuck the earlier tub of Lathering Cremo, please know that lather or not, it's the lubrication from coconut-oil that delivers the performance Cremo is known and celebrated for. For those days when you may not have time to perform your full, brush & bowl shaving routine, this first generation Lathering will be a great alternative for your shave.

I should also mention that one of our customers, conducted a series of tests to determine the right combination of water and Lathering shave cream to product maximum lather. He sent us pictures that showed an impressive results, informing us that 1.5 tablespoons water to 1 tbsp cream was the right mixture.

All our best,

Fred Greene / Director of Customer Care

Cremo Company, LLC
Laguna Beach, California

Greetings. This is my first post here.

I purchased a tub of the Cremo Lathering Sandalwood Cream recently from Target and was less-than-impressed with how the lather turned out. As some others have noted, it goes on rather thin and can break down quickly. Anyway, I sent a message to Cremo about this, and they responded that this product has been reformulated, and they'll be sending me a free tub of the newer version. I don't know if the reformulated version has hit the stores yet or not, and I'll look to post an update when I get the new version in the mail.

This morning I gave the original version of their lathering cream another try, but without a brush or attempt to build up a lather. Just rubbed it into my washed, wet face with my fingers and shaved with my Merkur 38HD with an Astra platinum blade. The shave was good. Slickness was nice and never felt like I was needing more cushioning. Worth noting: I'm a newbie to DE shaving and my only other frame of reference to non-aerosol shaving cream or soap is with Proraso Refreshing soap in a bowl.

I'm pasting the message I received from Cremo below as a reference. It also includes their suggestion about the best cream-to-water ratio for the current product. Hope this info helps. Happy shaving!

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email and inquiry.

We have in fact reformulated our Lathering Cremo to be more lathering and to enhance the Sandalwood scent. Why don't you send us your mailing address, and we'll send you a replacement tub of our new Lathering Shave Cream. We promise satisfaction and we mean it.

And, before you chuck the earlier tub of Lathering Cremo, please know that lather or not, it's the lubrication from coconut-oil that delivers the performance Cremo is known and celebrated for. For those days when you may not have time to perform your full, brush & bowl shaving routine, this first generation Lathering will be a great alternative for your shave.

I should also mention that one of our customers, conducted a series of tests to determine the right combination of water and Lathering shave cream to product maximum lather. He sent us pictures that showed an impressive results, informing us that 1.5 tablespoons water to 1 tbsp cream was the right mixture.

All our best,

Fred Greene / Director of Customer Care

Cremo Company, LLC
Laguna Beach, California

Interesting! I too was not impressed with the "lathering" version. But I was not using anywhere near 1 TBSP of cream! Wow - that's a lot!
Thanks for the info

Interesting! I too was not impressed with the "lathering" version. But I was not using anywhere near 1 TBSP of cream! Wow - that's a lot!
Thanks for the info

I read that as 3 parts water to 2 parts cream, whatever the size of the parts. If you use 1 TBSP of cream every time, the tub would only last 4 or 5 shaves. It would be, on a per use basis, the most expensive cream out there.

I read that as 3 parts water to 2 parts cream, whatever the size of the parts. If you use 1 TBSP of cream every time, the tub would only last 4 or 5 shaves. It would be, on a per use basis, the most expensive cream out there.

Yes, I'm sure you are correct, but finishing this off in 4 shaves would be ideal, as I don't really care for it. :001_unsur
I wonder if V2 will really be better?

+1
Even a small pea sized amount would need just a tab more water.

From using the original Cremo, it is a cream that loves water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been experimenting with the Cremo. My results - use twice as much product and half again as much water as with a normal cream. I am able to build a good, slick lather without dissipation.

I've got one more update from Cremo about their lathering shave cream's availability at Target. I asked if / how someone could tell whether they were looking at the original lathering cream or the reformulated version that's supposed to provide better lather. Here is their response:

"As for the reformulated Lathering Cremo, I understand it has a slightly darker orange cap and lettering. I don't believe we've specified "newly reformulated," but I think we withdrew the previous version. Check the batch # on the back: it should read: B701 etc. etc, or B702, etc. etc. That means it was made in 2017."

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bought the lathering Cremo during the Williams 3017 hiatus; only got around to trying it today.

Have to admit; smells great, super slick, got a great shave.

Never thought I'd endorse anything Cremo, but I gotta give it to the cream - really not bad. Left it out for tomorrow ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Confirm mine's 2017-coded, runs thirsty, lather still fades somewhat - but it is very slick, and smells great. Though not like my TOBS Sandalwood ... It just doesn't smell like my AOS sandalwood oil, either.

AA

I found the Cremo sandalwood in a tube at a local store. It can be used brushless, but I prefer to lather with a brush. I lathers just like the other varieties in a tube. In terms of the scent, I prefer TOBS sandalwood, but I like it a lot better than my Porasso sandalwood.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, there you go- Proraso "sandalwood" just smells like Proraso, only without the menthol.

The Cremo; maybe only the faintest, but it's good for non-send-away.

AA

Note that the Cremo tub is not a Amazon Prime item; but if you are a Prime member it ships free as an add-on item as long as you order $25 minimum. I added it to my cart and will wait until I order other items.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It should be at any Target ... admittedly, I am getting close damage-free shaves with it.

The blade's an iffy Ming Shi, too.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After almost a week of this Cremo, switched back to La Toja, an amazing product.

The Cremo is slicker ... sorry, Spain.

AA

I first tried the concentrate and found it to be close to horrible. It does, however make a really good pre-shave coupled with the Cremo cream and it delivers a real slick surface and close irritation free results. Very inexpensive.

When I lathered it with a couple different brushes it lathered up really nice. But the lather dissipated on my face after a minute and it was gone before I finished my first pass. It did however stay very slick so I was able to finish the shave semi comfortably. When it was done dissipating it was similar to their non-lathering stuff on my face.

I did not like this cream..... I was very hopeful as I'm a big fan of regular 'brushless' Cremo.
But it's thin, fades, quickly and is not as slick as there original version.
I just don't see a place for it.

Top Bottom