What's new

Cremo Lathering Shave Cream?

Looks like Cremo is getting in on the action.

Thanks for the reviews.

I emailed Cremo asking them about the new cream, because it was not listed on their own site.

Screenshot 2017-02-09 at 10.50.16 AM.png

I emailed Cremo asking them about the new cream, because it was not listed on their own site.

Screenshot 2017-02-09 at 10.50.16 AM.png
Thanks for the info. I will keep my eye on Amazon. I checked the local Target and they didn't have it.

I picked up the brush and cream at Target. Thanks for heads up op

Found and acquired a jar of the sandalwood cream tonight. I will give Target credit for not just being an aisle of Gillette. They had Harry's stuff there, the Bevel razor, brush and associated products, and the normal Van Der Hagen. I can't help but imagine the Gillette executives are more than a little displeased with these developments.

Got some today at target. First shave was good. the shave cream has a tendency to breakdown quickly, but is extremely slick on the skin.
DSCF0063 - Edited.jpg

Same here. Sounds like a Target run is in order.

Interesting... Look forward to shave reviews. :thumbup1:

I used some as a preshave today and got a great shave. Not sure about the scent. All the Cremo's seem to have the same undertones which I'm not a huge fan of.

SOTD_021117.JPG

I picked up some at my local Target store, along with the brush so I could try a horse hair brush out. I think it lathered well and was slick, and provided a nice cushion, but it seemed as if it didn't last as long. I was able to do one pass easily, but my 2nd pass wasn't as good, had to reload the brush for the slickness and cushion. Next shave I'll try either more water, or less to see the results. I like it and won't give up until after at least 3 shaves if I get the same results on not lasting long. I'm fairly new to wet shaving so I'm no pro at lathering creams either.

Alright, finally got a chance to try it out today. I have to say, not overly impressed. It seemed to make a very foamy, airy lather to begin with. I added more cream and tried it on my first pass. It just didn't seem to perform well. I switched to WSP Barbershop and basically started over.

I didnt care for it, it was disappearing on my face, no cushion, I switched to Stirling spice after first pass as a precaution to irritation.

I saw this at Target (interesting I couldn't find it on the Cremo website though). Generally I'm not a fan of Sandalwood but I did like Cremo's mix with other scents (citrus?). If Proraso Red is on the "raw" spectrum of Sandalwood scent, Cremo is more on the mild side.

I didn't see the Cremo cooling (my current favorite) so I'm a little concerned :)

And a Vie-Long brush? Hmm, horse hair?

Snagged this $5.84 on sale, this sandalwood "lathering" cream, at my local Tar-Jay.

I'll try it about three months from now, when my V.D. Willy 3017 puck is beat.

The same brush (not on sale) $21.99.

AA

I saw a new product at Target today - Cremo Lathering Shave Cream - Sandalwood. Has anyone tried it yet? The instructions are: ""Prior to shaving, wet face with hot water. Thoroughly wet shaving brush with hot water. Apply a small amount of shave cream to brush and work into a lather in the palm of your hand or a shave bowl."

A quick Google search didn't turn up much, and the product isn't even listed on the Cremo website.

I plan on shaving with it tomorrow morning.
CREMO.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used it this morning.

Razor - Gillette Slim with a Kai blade (6th use).
Brush - Semogue 2000 boar brush

I found it lathered well, but the lather was thin and airy. Perhaps I used too much water. The slickness was good, but the cushion was not because the lather was so thin. No issues with the shave. Nice and close with no nicks, cuts or irritation.

One thing I did notice was that as I rinsed my hands and the razor, the lather residue didn't remain in the sink of water, but seemed to immediately dissipate and fizz, almost as if you opened a bottle of carbonated water (?).

My clean-up pass, which is done with lather squeezed from the brush and applied by hand, was much thicker and creamier.

Bottom line - adequate, but I would choose Kiss My Face shave cream over the Cremo any day.

My results: nice scent, not overpowering, a light sandalwood with just a hint of another spice I can't put my finger on. Used without a brush it was every bit as good as regular Cremo, not a great deal of lather but very slick with little to no irritation and probably enough lubracation for two passes without reapplication. I enjoy the jar very much, I suggested to Mike a few years ago that they give it a try, as I am not much on tubes. Bottom line, if you like Cremo anyway, you'll like this I'm sure.

I stopped into Target to check it out since a good sandalwood cream is in order for me. I did not care for the scent at all and decided not to pull the trigger. I even walked around and came back to it a second time but still, I couldn't do it. I wonder if the scent of the Cremo Sandalwood in the tube is better?

I discovered Cremo at Target on Saturday. They had original, cooling, and sandalwood in tubes and sandalwood in the tub. I checked B&B on my phone and didn’t see much love for original but based on comments I picked up a tube each of sandalwood and cooling.

I've tried the sandalwood using a dollop in a bowl to get the lather started and then went to a face lather. It worked well for 3 passes and I really dug the scent and it paired perfectly with Fine Santal, not surprisingly I guess. After shave face feel was great.

I thought it provided ample slickness, but I agree with others that the lather was not long lasting. It's not in the Haslinger category by any means but unlike Haslinger it comes with a scent (don't hate me).

That's just one shave and since I always use soaps I have no experience with creme, so I'll have to work with it some more. It's different. For eight bucks it is worth trying.

I discovered Cremo at Target on Saturday. They had original, cooling, and sandalwood in tubes and sandalwood in the tub. I checked B&B on my phone and didn’t see much love for original but based on comments I picked up a tube each of sandalwood and cooling.

I've tried the sandalwood using a dollop in a bowl to get the lather started and then went to a face lather. It worked well for 3 passes and I really dug the scent and it paired perfectly with Fine Santal, not surprisingly I guess. After shave face feel was great.

I thought it provided ample slickness, but I agree with others that the lather was not long lasting. It's not in the Haslinger category by any means but unlike Haslinger it comes with a scent (don't hate me).

That's just one shave and since I always use soaps I have no experience with creme, so I'll have to work with it some more. It's different. For eight bucks it is worth trying.

If you got the tube stuff, it's a brushless cream and really doesn't work that well with a brush. Just squirt a decent amount into your hands, rub them together with water, and rub into your skin. Should be quite slick with pretty much no stable lather.

The stuff in the tub is meant to be used with a brush.

I picked up the tub of sandalwood cream 2 nights ago. Still got a little left in my TOBS Sandalwood, but maybe I will open this up to give it a shot. I was hoping that it would be decent. I guess as long as it shaves well, at half the price and no shipping, I can replace TOBS with it.

I've been working with the new Cremo in the tube for about the last 4 shaves and found it works very well.
IMG_1039.JPG

This is the amount I started with.
IMG_1040.JPG

About 30-40 seconds of lathering and it's still pretty airy.
IMG_1041.JPG

After about 1:30-2:00 min it thickens up nicely.
IMG_1042.JPG

It's a little thin but works really well. Sorry for the fugly mug but I'm sure worse has been shown in the name of science!
IMG_1045.JPG

Third pass application still a bit thin but still very effective.
IMG_1047.JPG
This was taken after I was done. It's still pretty thick in the bowl and good for a few more rounds. On the first use I started with a pretty good double almond size dollop and gradually brought it down to the size you see in the top pic. This stuff really work well for me. I will definitely buy again.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 30
I purchased the shave creme in Sandlewood and this is amazing. It doesn't lather up like most cremes or soaps but it is the slickest stuff I've used and I have tried just about all on the market. I use a straight razor every day and usually apply a pre shave oil or gel. Not needed with this product. I have sensitive skin with a course beard and got a very smooth, irritation free results. Sent is nice and not over powering. Final test, no burning when applying Alum Bloc. Can't beat the price and performance.

I have used it all week. It is very slick, but as most have commented very low lather. This morning I got some on the brush then put a little 1/4"-3/8" squirt of Maca Root on the tips. Huge Difference!

It kept the slickness while adding just enough cushion to make a decent stable lather. I really enjoyed it. I am down to just a bit in the tube of Maca Root so I may open it up and just mix the last of it with the Cremo and see if is enough to make the tub of Cremo a touch better.

Update. I have been experimenting more with the lathering cream. After cutting way back on the amount of water, I have been able to build a much thicker lather that doesn't dissipate. Using too much water results in a thinner lather with a lot of bubbles that dissipates quickly.

While the jury is still out for me, I am beginning to experience much better results.

Gave mine a go this morning for the first time. I have the tub of sandalwood cream. Typically I use TOBS Sandalwood cream, which I very much enjoy. I found one that I like and have stuck with it. The only other cream that I have used is AOS Sandalwood in a squeeze tube, which was nice as well. I use a Parker Synthetic Brush and face lather. The only prep I typically do is a hot shower and moisturizing face wash. I only use straight razors.

Upon opening the container, the cream appeared similar to TOBS. To me the scent was weak and did not match my expectations of Sandalwood. But scent of the cream usually doesn't matter to me, so this was not an issue. It didn't smell bad. I began running the hot water in my sink and gave the tip of my brush a quick dip in. Gave it a shake to remove excess water and loaded the cream onto the brush from the tub. I usually just do a quick 4 swirls around the tub to get enough cream. It again, looked much like TOBS does on my brush, so I began the face lather.

Dipped the tip of the loaded brush into the water and gave a shake. Began swirling on my face. Did one cheek, then dip in the water and moved to the other. It started off about the same as TOBS, but after the initial application to the face, it was much thinner. I continued my routine of swirling the brush and dipping to add water. It took a little longer to get a good lather going on my face than I am used to, but eventually I got there. It did seem to be much drier though. Once my face was completely lathered, I set the brush down and moved to the razor.

Shaving went pretty good in my opinion. I started with the right side of my face. No tugging, blade moved smoothly, and the shave was pretty close. I got my right cheek, upper lip, chin, and right side of my neck shaved WTG no problems. When I went to move the razor into my other hand, the remaining lather on my face had dried too much to continue. I had to re-lather the left side of my face. Once done, the shave was fine. With TOBS, I can do my whole face with out re-lathering.

Dipped the brush in some water and lathered my cheeks, upper lip, and chin to begin the second pass. The lather was still pretty consistent from before. Thin, but slick. Plenty of moisture to shave. Started on my left side, did from ear to mouth XTG pass, shaved my lip and chin, then switched hands for the right side. Did ear to mouth XTG pass on the right side. By then the lather was getting a little dry, but still slick enough to finish the pass. I was having problems stretching the skin though during this portion. I usually wet my fingers and rub them on the alum block to help with grip. This did not seem to help at all. The odd thing was, if I did a quick rinse of my fingers and dried them on my towel, I had no problem stretching the skin. So Alum was not needed.

I moved on to my neck to finish the second pass. Dipped the brush in water again and lathered the left half of my neck, did XTG pass. Lathered the right half and did a XTG pass. No problems. Lathered my neck under my chin and did an ATG pass (this area needs a little extra attention). There was a portion of my jaw line on the left side of my face I had to re-lather and shave again. It was a little rough due to the poor stretching from earlier. I got a small weeper here, but I don't think that was due to the cream.

Finished with a cold water splash and rubbed the face with my alum block. No sting or burn from that, so a pretty decent shave. I had to hit the weeper with the styptic pencil. Cleaned everything up, another cold rinse to get the alum off and some Clubman to end the shave.

Final thoughts as I sit here and rub my BBS smooth face. It took me a little longer to shave than normal. I attribute that to the extra time lathering and figuring out the cream. I think that will correct itself as I use it more. Tomorrow I shall try loading a little more cream. As I neared the end of my shave, the lather was running out on my brush. I may also try a little more water to keep the cream slick. Knowing that I may not need the alum on my fingers for stretching, I think I won't have the weeper issue I did today from extra passes. At this point, would I recommend the product? It depends, but not really. For a seasoned wet shaver, if you wanted to give it a shot I would not advise against it. Its a decent price and gets the job done. Someone who knows what they are doing would be able to make the corrections and adjustments to achieve a decent lather and have a comfortable shave. For the price, it's not a bad product. For new shavers, which I have a feeling would be more likely to try this, no, I would not recommend it. There are many creams out there that are much easier to lather, and for someone who might not be great at lathering yet this could cause shave issues that may turn people away from the art. I will continue to use it and see how things progress. When it comes time to replace the cream (I stick to one at a time) I will more than likely go back to TOBS.

Many companies introduce products in test markets before releasing them for widespread distribution. My local Target in the Chicago suburbs still does not have the sandalwood, but I did pick up some lavender that I had not seen before. They also have coconut mango, but I am not a fan of coconut scents.

I do not like using the Cremo creams in a tube without a brush as intended. I add a little water and whip up a thin airy lather in a bowl using a badger or synthetic brush. I then face lather until I get a nice thick foam. I use a straight razor, so I need a nice protective lather.

I will keep checking my local Target. I love sandalwood scent, so I hope they get it soon.

I forgot to mention, I also saw shaving brushes with the Cremo brand on them being sold at Target. They have horse hair knots and if memory serves me right, they are $19.99.

At my Target in Atlanta, the brush was $21.99, and is co-branded with Vie-Long. Waaaaay too expensive for a horsehair brush.

I did pick up the Cremo Lathering Cream. I'll give it a go tomorrow, either with a L'Occitane-Plisson Synthetic or a Semogue 1250 Boar. Will report back.

I have a couple of Vie-Long horsehair brushes. Although their cheapest models sell for under $15, I have one of their more expensive models. It has a beautiful olivewood handle and costs $40. I will be interested to see what Target is offering for $20 as a co-branded brush.

The list price on the Vie-Long 12601 is $19, but Amazon currently has it on sale at $14. I wonder if the Amazon vendor is trying to dump inventory knowing the brush will soon be available at Target.

The cream worked very well; better than I expected. Started with a well-shaken boar, added about an almond's worth, then slowly added water as I face-lathered. Very slick with good cushion. Three passes plus a cleanup. Face felt smooth and irritation-free. As a bonus, it seems to be a good moisturizer.

For the price, it's a great performer. Overall, it's not my best cream, but it's more than acceptable. I'll probably buy more to store away. It's definitely in the rotation going forward.

A good value for a very good cream. I've seen comments about a thin lather, but I think that may be due to adding too much water too quickly. Be patient, and it will perform well.

Your description is spot on. If you lather it with a brush, it is a good cream for the money. There are certainly better creams, but at that price point, it is one of the better ones.

Top Bottom