What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Not really 3d, but it has that sort of pinkish translucent effect in parts that usually marks a very aggressive coti in my experience. It doesn't feel much different from your typical La Dressante or La Veinette though. Fast on water, but nothing crazy... though certainly not the "dull" feeling that some of the slower veins get into.

Picked up this boxed pure coti for a song the other day from an eBayer I've purchased from in the past. Small, but beautiful rock. Feels almost exactly like my vintage Les Lat Hybrid... As hard as LL hybrid, and has some LL hybrid patterning... but it's all coti-colored and tan; very little green in it that I can see (and that's mostly visible on the back). I've come across a stone or two like this in the past... I kind of figure it for a LL coti side with some of the hybrid running into it, but not pure hybrid, but really not sure.

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 176
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 178
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 191
I had enough of the claustrophobic setup this had due to someone using it as a slurry stone on either end when it detatched from it's original bbw ages ago so I lapped out the shorter slope. Much much nicer to use now. Idk what itnis but it has lovely abrasive feedback that smooths out as you go.$20161217_200158.jpg$20161217_200226.jpg$20161217_200246.jpg

Another very nice example of a natural grown Coticule. A very reddish BBW backing with some typical orange spots.

The Coti side appears to be very clean and homogenious, there are two different looking layers of the yellow side.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice stone Chris. Have you honed on it yet?
Yes and I don't know what the hell I'm doing lol. I started a thread to chronicle the saga!!

I was playing around with it last night and thought I was on to something until I made the blade duller and duller. I probably shouldn't have started off with a blade that has given me fits on my current set up to "try out" a coti for the first time!!!

Yes and I don't know what the hell I'm doing lol. I started a thread to chronicle the saga!!

I was playing around with it last night and thought I was on to something until I made the blade duller and duller. I probably shouldn't have started off with a blade that has given me fits on my current set up to "try out" a coti for the first time!!!

Haha....just proceed...trust me something what happened to others before...

Always good to start with a test razor or probably a dulled razor..

View attachment 711366.View attachment 711367
My La Veinette can be used to make a real mirror polish. It is not easy to catch but on the picture you can see the reflection. A shaveready razor glides like an ice cube without resistance with water only. With good ears you can hear a very silent honing noise. With all my other finishers I can see a bit black swarf in the water after 50 circles at the latest with this soft kamisori steel but not with my LaVie. A pure polisher with water only, and what for a polisher.

use the corner of a slurry stone and slurry just the spots one a time just a few to test. If the are a smoky blue they are manganese which i believe to be the case with at least most of them.

Top Bottom