What's new

Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as another note, just to lay aside any fears , doubts or concerns that I built fluff pieces that sacrifice function over form I didn't. Why would I have wasted my time to go through this effort to have something that just sits there and look pretty?
After the pieces were done I photographed them prior to having any scratches be incurred while honing. Once they were done and photographed they hit the hones. After straightening the spines, grinding the lines even etc. the spines became narrower than the original .2350 thickness from the factory. I then taped them ( yes, more wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth) but the thickness came out to an average of .2200,, with the tape. Regardless, can you blame me? Want to see the Fauxmascus disappear? They're pretty and in this case I'll keep them that way. Don't care if it is just a "tool that should look used" . Not in this case.
The steps used were setting the bevels on a 750 diamond plate, followed with passes on a well used diamond plate. Off to a 1000 stone followed with a Norton 4000/8000, then honing films from 15 down to 3. Then diamond paste on cloth belt and final leather strop. Sequence sound familiar? got it from the MAN himself seeing what he produces it's good enough for me.
My pieces work.
Been shaving with them for the past 3 weeks. Anyone doubt me thinking I sacrificed function over form can stop by my shop any time and verify my statements. I can't use a lame excuse that I built what I think are pretty razors ,, but they don't work. Or conversely build a razor that works but looks like,,, well,,,, fill in your own answer. I want the best of both worlds. Function AND form. And I think I achieved it.

Last edited:
I know Mark... Since there's this shadow of doubt now, you just need to have a PASSAROUND!!!!

I'll be the first to sign up! Everyone get in line! :lol:

I know Mark... Since there's this shadow of doubt now, you just need to have a PASSAROUND!!!!

I'll be the first to sign up! Everyone get in line! :lol:
Well YOU may know,,,but,,,
I'm not about to start sending these around for obvious reasons. But I'll tell you this, with the straightened spines , anyone anywhere can lay these on any hone a pull a clean straight edge. I didn't have to do this just to make a pretty razor to win a contest just for fun. And I can't be bothered with trying to use a narrow stone to try and rock the blade back and forth to get some kind of edge because I didn't straighten the spine in the first place when it should have been done. And the edges are arrow straight as i also measured the blade thickness and took out any unevenness. The edges show no sign of thick in one area,, thin in another. Like I've said before why not do it right the first time so I don't have to go back and try and putz around to try and coax the razor to work,, or get the scales to close or get some kind of edge on the darn thing. I can't work half-a$$ed. Do it right or don't do it.

No,, to straighten the spines I use a combinations of grinders etc.to rough them into shape and then flatten and smooth them. Remove stock quickly then finesse them. Diamond plates would work, but at their cost I'll save them for bevel setting. There are easier and faster ways to go.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Stick a fork in it, it's done!

That's the end gentlemen, congratulations everybody who participated. Seraphim will be by at some point in the not too distant future to crown the winner.

And as another note, just to lay aside any fears , doubts or concerns that I built fluff pieces that sacrifice function over form I didn't. Why would I have wasted my time to go through this effort to have something that just sits there and look pretty?
After the pieces were done I photographed them prior to having any scratches be incurred while honing. Once they were done and photographed they hit the hones. After straightening the spines, grinding the lines even etc. the spines became narrower than the original .2350 thickness from the factory. I then taped them ( yes, more wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth) but the thickness came out to an average of .2200,, with the tape. Regardless, can you blame me? Want to see the Fauxmascus disappear? They're pretty and in this case I'll keep them that way. Don't care if it is just a "tool that should look used" . Not in this case.
The steps used were setting the bevels on a 750 diamond plate, followed with passes on a well used diamond plate. Off to a 1000 stone followed with a Norton 4000/8000, then honing films from 15 down to 3. Then diamond paste on cloth belt and final leather strop. Sequence sound familiar? got it from the MAN himself seeing what he produces it's good enough for me.
My pieces work.
Been shaving with them for the past 3 weeks. Anyone doubt me thinking I sacrificed function over form can stop by my shop any time and verify my statements. I can't use a lame excuse that I built what I think are pretty razors ,, but they don't work. Or conversely build a razor that works but looks like,,, well,,,, fill in your own answer. I want the best of both worlds. Function AND form. And I think I achieved it.
Ummm...... Have i missed a post or has something been removed? FLUFF PIECES?????WT*. We all know your talents are real Mark, And why would you put that much into something u cant use??? Maybe ive just missed something, but i know for a fact Marks razors are not just "show pieces" and even if they were there still so friggen awesome who would care???. However i agree with trick you should send them all to me first, i promise i wont run away with them, lol. there should be no doubts ppl, have a little look on the web, or ask Mark to direct you to his website. there you will find amazing work by Mark (not razor related, but carving), he is a true craftsman and even has his work in museum's, so yeah he's not only legit, but is quickly becoming a legend in the razor community.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Some nice work here, but it does look like the cigar goes to MyCarver, doesn't it? I will offer my possibly somewhat premature but probably quite correct congratulations!

Thank you Seraphim, as well as Legion who got the ball rolling and to everyone else who participated in keeping it rolling!
Your comments on my pieces over the past couple of days has been overwhelming to say the least. You guys blew me away to put it mildly.
I had so much fun building these pieces,, listening to the antics of other participants, seeing what they were working on and directions they were going ,all the late night PM's with comparing notes, coming up with new ideas and expanding on them, experimenting , the friendly ribbing that made the event so much fun to be part of. Nothing like a group of kindred spirits that have a common love of razors. So much is learned this way.
Trick, congrats to you. I felt you breathing down my neck and I still can't reach that target you stapled to my back. You made me run buddy! Thanks.
And thank you again for all the wonderful support and encouragement from all the members of B&B who looked over our collective shoulders and cheered us on with our efforts.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Congrats to Mycarver and Trick420! Excellent workmanship. And the same goes to all of you who played. Some great ideas and creativity coming through once again.

Stay tuned next week. I have an idea for competition #4....

Yep, congratulations to both of you. This contest provided some of the most extreme "before & after" shots I've ever seen for anything.

man you guys did some BEAUTIFUL work in this contest!!! really has made me re-think about GD and if to try one or not!!

With a bit of work and care they area excellent shavers. Don't let the 'stigma" of them having been GD's at one time turn you off.
These guys treated them as if they were any other piece of steel as a blank. Worked their magic on them and ended up with great shavers. What is the difference really? If you had no idea and we handed you any of our blades and you shaved with it ,, it's no different in essence than any custom or "resto" razor, you wouldn't know. Good steel is just good steel. Only difference I can see is these are already tempered. A bit more difficult than working with virgin steel prior to heat treating.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
With a bit of work and care they area excellent shavers. Don't let the 'stigma" of them having been GD's at one time turn you off.
These guys treated them as if they were any other piece of steel as a blank. Worked their magic on them and ended up with great shavers. What is the difference really? If you had no idea and we handed you any of our blades and you shaved with it ,, it's no different in essence than any custom or "resto" razor, you wouldn't know. Good steel is just good steel. Only difference I can see is these are already tempered. A bit more difficult than working with virgin steel prior to heat treating.

Of course you COULD try annealing a few and working them in their soft state, then heat treating and tempering. Warping and cracking might be a problem, tho, I don't know. Maybe Paco will chime in on this? I am thinking about trying that, when I get home. I got some old files to anneal, anyhow.

I am simply amazed at what can be done with these under $5 razor-shaped objects. I will probably never buy another new razor that costs over $5 as long as I live. Why should I? Unless it is one of the magnificent workovers I see being sorted out by our talented Badgermen here.

GD SUBFORUM! OOOO! OOOOH! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom