What's new

College Football Season Is Here!

They just keep slippin'

proxy.php

Texas Longhorns drop another one--this time to Big XII afterthought Iowa State. In Austin, no less.

Prior to this game, I figured Mack Brown's head was close to the chopping block. Now there is no doubt. His future is being discussed right now over bourbon and branch.

Texas Longhorns drop another one--this time to Big XII afterthought Iowa State. In Austin, no less.

Prior to this game, I figured Mack Brown's head was close to the chopping block. Now there is no doubt. His future is being discussed right now over bourbon and branch.
And yesterday, the Longhorns lost to iconic football power Baylor :w00t:. Who??? Baylor.

I hold to my expectations that Texas coach Mack Brown's days are numbered. Texas football is a "what have you done for me lately" type of institution. I wonder which big name coaches are being discussed right now as possible successors? Money is no object.

Well, Janna, the SEC East is in such disarray this season that South Carolina could actually take it. It's time Spurrier started earning his money.:laugh:

well, so far all the pieces are falling in place for Bama to have a shot back at the title game. Undefeateds falling in front of them, if they win out through the SEC title game, they should be good to go.

I honestly don't see anything special about Oregon. Yeah, they're winning by big numbers, but it seems that all the PAC 10 scores look like basketball scores.
I think Auburn is better, but not much, and I don't see either of them head and shoulder above the rest. No one is dominant this year, it's kinda crazy.

And really Oregon? 32 seconds left in the half, USC isn't even trying and you try to run the score up? Classless, in my opinion. Reminds me of Stever Spurriers days at Florida. If you're in a tight game and behind or only up a few points and want to pad for halftime, groovy. But when you're dominating an overmatched team like that?
Ugh, I stopped watching at that point

And really Oregon? 32 seconds left in the half, USC isn't even trying and you try to run the score up? Classless, in my opinion. Reminds me of Stever Spurriers days at Florida. If you're in a tight game and behind or only up a few points and want to pad for halftime, groovy. But when you're dominating an overmatched team like that?
ABC chose my region to show some dull Big 10 game instead of USC/Oregon, so I only got to see score updates flashed across the ESPN creeper. It looked to me that the scoring (and lead?) was going back and forth in the first half, so I wouldn't have thought they were piling on. Again, I didn't see it.

The days of super gentlemanly conduct against your opponent unfortunately has to take somewhat of a backseat to the BCS computer rankings. Since Oregon has been ranked 1st in coaches and writers' polls, yet 11th or so in the computer calculations, the total offense and scoring is increasingly important when it comes down to picking who gets to the final two teams, particularly if they are both undefeated or one-loss teams. Since USC was a top-25 ranked team at gametime, the more convincingly the Ducks could open a can of whoop*** on them the better for computer stats. Oregon will run out of chances to up their status when their opponents are cream puffs, so they have to maximize.

Such is the world we live in.:001_smile

ABC chose my region to show some dull Big 10 game instead of USC/Oregon, so I only got to see score updates flashed across the ESPN creeper. It looked to me that the scoring (and lead?) was going back and forth in the first half, so I wouldn't have thought they were piling on. Again, I didn't see it.

The days of super gentlemanly conduct against your opponent unfortunately has to take somewhat of a backseat to the BCS computer rankings. Since Oregon has been ranked 1st in coaches and writers' polls, yet 11th or so in the computer calculations, the total offense and scoring is increasingly important when it comes down to picking who gets to the final two teams, particularly if they are both undefeated or one-loss teams. Since USC was a top-25 ranked team at gametime, the more convincingly the Ducks could open a can of whoop*** on them the better for computer stats. Oregon will run out of chances to up their status when their opponents are cream puffs, so they have to maximize.

Such is the world we live in.:001_smile

yeup, I get that, I just don't like it :001_smile

and USC did play well in the first half, but they're just not what they used to be (not that that bothers me one bit, especially with little kiffey there :biggrin1:)

Last edited:
well, it's official...this was merely a rebuilding year :(

oh well, maybe the defense will be great again next year.............just in time to lose all the talent on offense

time to get McCarron in the game and set McSackelroy out in the 2nd half so we don't end up like Texas or Florida next year

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

time to get McCarron in the game and set McSackelroy out in the 2nd half so we don't end up like Texas or Florida next year

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!
Good reference. As I type this, Texas is AGAIN down 24-0 at halftime to Kansas State. Was Colt McCoy really that instrumental to the Longhorns? The moneyed Texas boosters must be beside themselves. If Texas gets a bowl game, I hope they send them up to Detroit or something to play Western Michigan.

The Tide may not make Atlanta this year, but doesn't it p!$$ you guys off when it's Auburn that does?:biggrin1:

Good reference. As I type this, Texas is AGAIN down 24-0 at halftime to Kansas State. Was Colt McCoy really that instrumental to the Longhorns? The moneyed Texas boosters must be beside themselves. If Texas gets a bowl game, I hope they send them up to Detroit or something to play Western Michigan.

The Tide may not make Atlanta this year, but doesn't it p!$$ you guys off when it's Auburn that does?:biggrin1:

First, no, McCoy was not that instrumental to the Longhorns. McCoy + Shipley was

Second, it would not hurt too bad if Auburn does go, at least the state of Alabama will be represented if they do, even if it is by the state's third best team :biggrin1:

It's still possible, though unlikely, for Bama to rain on Awdurn's parade. I'm actually upset they got jacked out of their rightful shot at it in '04 (I think that's the year)
Unfortunately, Bama showed two years ago what happens when they get a shot at the big trophy taken away vs. Utah - they don't show up to play.

But then, if Bama does beat them, that could send Smell Les Poo to Atlanta, and to me that would be worse. Unless LSU loses another game - and I think Arkansas is gonna kill 'em - then Bama still has an outside shot at the SEC championship game, though BCS title game is out of the picture, reckon I'll pull for TCU for that one

Hey the Gophers finally won a conference game, and on the road even. What an awful year, but at least we got rid of Brewster. I can't believe we actually miss Glen Mason.

Top Bottom