What's new

Cleaning/Sterilizing an EBay razor

I know it's been 5yrs since last post, and I read most of them.
I think "cut throat" razors should be well disinfected before use.
Hope people do not use those blades that are sent with some vintage razors....
How many people here go to the barber......how well do they clean their tools....between clients...and here: HIV, Hepatitis are probably alive!!! So better worry about these encounters....not to mention others....
And stay current with your tetanus and Hepatitis B vaccines

I just received an ebay fatboy. I am thinking about following the protocol in the 2006 original post, is that protocol still solid?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I just received an ebay fatboy. I am thinking about following the protocol in the 2006 original post, is that protocol still solid?
No
Don't boil razors, that's silly.
Soak in warm water with dish soap for a few munutes, scrub with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and air dry.
Maybe some isopropyl if you're one of those germ haters.
The likelihood of catching something from an old metal object is extremely slight, the OP is overkill.
No harsh chemicals, period. Vinegar and bleach can harm the plating. Just no.

Congrats on the Fatboy and welcome to B&B!

^^^ What @nemo said.... Everything bad lives ON the metal, not IN it. Warm soapy soak, personally I still like a bit of Scrubbing Bubbles (not with bleach!) to get inside some of the crannies, play with the mechanism if it's a TTO to get the soap in there, then scrub, rinse, done.

No
Don't boil razors, that's silly.
Soak in warm water with dish soap for a few munutes, scrub with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and air dry.
Maybe some isopropyl if you're one of those germ haters.
The likelihood of catching something from an old metal object is extremely slight, the OP is overkill.
No harsh chemicals, period. Vinegar and bleach can harm the plating. Just no.

Congrats on the Fatboy and welcome to B&B!

^^^ What @nemo said.... Everything bad lives ON the metal, not IN it. Warm soapy soak, personally I still like a bit of Scrubbing Bubbles (not with bleach!) to get inside some of the crannies, play with the mechanism if it's a TTO to get the soap in there, then scrub, rinse, done.
Thanks Gents!

I boiled it while I was posting my previous message. It did nothing, but there is still soap scum on the razor. I will scrub it with a brush and go from there. I suppose I could put it in the dishwasher even?

I doubt anything would service on the razor this long. I suppose I just want it looking great.

If your local physician or dentist has a bit of Cydex available, it is FAN-DAMN-TASTIC! It'll kill even 50000-year old bacteria!!! 20 minutes at between 25 & 35 C and watch the bad things go away...:laugh:

Have not heard Cydex in 40 years, we use to use the stuff to clean.

Respiratory Therapy Equipment that could not be put in Autoclave.

Cidex killed most bugs and the only negative was after Cidex bath.

You had to rinse to make sure it was not in small places, good old water stream did the trick.

Many modern Dish Soap are Anti Bacterial, again rinse well, to remove the soap.

Never depend that something not new is clean, clean it your self.

I’ve just got a Gillette Tech and a Super Speed on the way. Would it be sufficient by rinsing them with warm water and soap, and the soak them in rubbing alcohol? I know it seems far fetched, but what are the chances of getting Hepatitis or worse?

Don't wanna read the entire thread?

- Never boil a razor.
- Scrub using a toothbrush and dish soap.
- Scrubbing Bubbles will help remove soap scum.
- I've used wooden toothpicks to gently scrape stubborn soap scum from crevices.

If you're a germaphobe:

Dip the cleaned razor in 90% isopropyl alcohol.

I’ve just got a Gillette Tech and a Super Speed on the way. Would it be sufficient by rinsing them with warm water and soap, and the soak them in rubbing alcohol? I know it seems far fetched, but what are the chances of getting Hepatitis or worse?

Nil. I'm not an organic biologist, but I don't think those germs can live long on a metal tool.

I welcome anyone to prove otherwise, at which point I will happily admit that I'm wrong.

I recently won a few auctions for two EBay razors and was wondering what the best way is to clean and/or sterilize them. I know this might seem like common sense to many but here is what I did.

1.) I took a cotton ball that had been dipped in alcohol and basically rubbed the heck out of the razors.

2.) I then placed them into a pan of boiling water. After they were boiled for about 10 minutes I noticed a bunch of gunk in the bottom of the pan.

3.) I then let them cool for a few minutes and then put them into a second pan of hot soapy water. This time I let them soak in the pan of hot warm with soap for about 10 minutes.

4.) I then took a toothbrush and some Qtips and basically rubbed the heck out of the razors again. Washed them off and then placed them back into a pan of boiling water.

5.) I let them boil for 5 minutes or so and again there was some gunk at the bottom of the pan. At this point I was a bit frustrated not sure of what I should do.

6.) I then decided to let them soak in a pure alcohol solution for the time being. This is where I am at now. What suggestions if any can you give me??

Thanks!

Joe
Sounds like you have a thorough cleaning and sterilizing routine. When I buy vintage razors, I first clean them with Dawn lotion and an old toothbrush. Then a soak in a Barbicide solution to sterilize them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're changing your baby's diaper and get poop on your hands, do you boil your hands for an hour?

Scrub the razor with hot soapy water, and use non bleach scrubbing bubbles or comet liquid spray on bathroom cleanser to cut soap scum.
If you're drastic and paranoid, dip it in alcohol and let it dry.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're changing your baby's diaper and get poop on your hands, do you boil your hands for an hour?

Scrub the razor with hot soapy water, and use non bleach scrubbing bubbles or comet liquid spray on bathroom cleanser to cut soap scum.
If you're drastic and paranoid, dip it in alcohol and let it dry.
I'll say that there's no 100% guarantee that boiling your razor WILL damage it, but we have had numerous cases here where it DID.
It's not necessary and CAN damage your razor, so why take a risk that is completely unnecessary when other less potentially damaging methods have been tried and proven to be effective.

Depending on the metal, in the case of non-adjustable razors I often use an ultrasonic cleaner (heated) with mild dish detergent as a first step. Then I rinse the razor, apply more soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush.

I don’t like to mention much about my profession, but microbiology is a large part of what I do.

Here’s my take, but it’s not legal or medical advice, don’t try this at home, you’re at your own risk, and don’t eat the yellow snow.

Seriously, I’m not responsible for what you do in your own home. There is always a risk that a used razor is infectious. A used razor is one thing, but a used blade is another. Make your own decisions. If a used razor is unnerving to you, you will probably be paranoid about it no matter how much you clean it. Stick to new-in-box for your own sanity.

If you bought a used razor that hasn’t been used in the last few years, most of the microbes on it are already dead (see below). You may need to worry about bacterial spores, which can last thousands of years and alcohol and boiling won’t kill them. Unless you have an autoclave or set your razor on fire, you can only remove them (see below). It’s when you share razors with little time between uses that there are serious health risks.

Many metals, especially brass, copper, gold, nickel, silver, and zinc are naturally antimicrobial. This is called the oligodynamic effect. This is why many doorknobs are made with brass or copper. Aluminum and stainless steel cannot do this. Those need to be cleaned frequently.

Detergents remove microbes from surfaces and their chemical properties dissolve phospholipid membranes in many bacteria and are effective at destroying many viruses for similar reasons. You’d be surprised how fragile many viruses are when outside the body and when in contact with detergents. Detergents in general are very effective at cleaning. Many microbiologists stress cleaning over sterilization. Soap revolutionized the health industry, not hand sanitizer. Back when I home brewed beer, I used Dawn to clean all my gear and never bothered with the overpriced oxidizers. My beers tasted great and I’m still alive to talk about it.

If you use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), 70% is more effective than 91% at killing microbes. It seems weird, but it’s true. The higher water content in the 70% slows down rates of evaporation, making it more effective. You can use 91%, but it will take longer. Alcohol won’t kill bacterial spores, so you must use detergent to wash them off.

Use this information above any way you like to make your own decisions.

This is what I would do with a used razor:

Scrub to get all the crap off. Use whatever crud remover I think is best. Wash with detergent to remove any remaining de-crudder and the death guts of any dead microbes. Dunk in 70% isopropyl just to make sure. Dry. Wash again with detergent to remove any remaining crud and death guts. Dry. Done.

And stay off the interwebs. You don’t need to boil your razor in mercury for two weeks to kill everything on it.

The razor will be cleaner than the dinnerware you stuffed in your mouth last week while at your favorite restaurant. Have you ever seen an industrial dish washer? Restaurants can’t wait for an hour cleaning cycle. Theirs last a few minutes.

I don’t like to mention much about my profession, but microbiology is a large part of what I do.

Here’s my take, but it’s not legal or medical advice, don’t try this at home, you’re at your own risk, and don’t eat the yellow snow.

Seriously, I’m not responsible for what you do in your own home. There is always a risk that a used razor is infectious. A used razor is one thing, but a used blade is another. Make your own decisions. If a used razor is unnerving to you, you will probably be paranoid about it no matter how much you clean it. Stick to new-in-box for your own sanity.

If you bought a used razor that hasn’t been used in the last few years, most of the microbes on it are already dead (see below). You may need to worry about bacterial spores, which can last thousands of years and alcohol and boiling won’t kill them. Unless you have an autoclave or set your razor on fire, you can only remove them (see below). It’s when you share razors with little time between uses that there are serious health risks.

Many metals, especially brass, copper, gold, nickel, silver, and zinc are naturally antimicrobial. This is called the oligodynamic effect. This is why many doorknobs are made with brass or copper. Aluminum and stainless steel cannot do this. Those need to be cleaned frequently.

Detergents remove microbes from surfaces and their chemical properties dissolve phospholipid membranes in many bacteria and are effective at destroying many viruses for similar reasons. You’d be surprised how fragile many viruses are when outside the body and when in contact with detergents. Detergents in general are very effective at cleaning. Many microbiologists stress cleaning over sterilization. Soap revolutionized the health industry, not hand sanitizer. Back when I home brewed beer, I used Dawn to clean all my gear and never bothered with the overpriced oxidizers. My beers tasted great and I’m still alive to talk about it.

If you use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl), 70% is more effective than 91% at killing microbes. It seems weird, but it’s true. The higher water content in the 70% slows down rates of evaporation, making it more effective. You can use 91%, but it will take longer. Alcohol won’t kill bacterial spores, so you must use detergent to wash them off.

Use this information above any way you like to make your own decisions.

This is what I would do with a used razor:

Scrub to get all the crap off. Use whatever crud remover I think is best. Wash with detergent to remove any remaining de-crudder and the death guts of any dead microbes. Dunk in 70% isopropyl just to make sure. Dry. Wash again with detergent to remove any remaining crud and death guts. Dry. Done.

And stay off the interwebs. You don’t need to boil your razor in mercury for two weeks to kill everything on it.

The razor will be cleaner than the dinnerware you stuffed in your mouth last week while at your favorite restaurant. Have you ever seen an industrial dish washer? Restaurants can’t wait for an hour cleaning cycle. Theirs last a few minutes.
Read this one again ...

A good quality anti-bacterial soap will do wonders for washing away whatever you fear might be on the razor. A quick soak or wipe-down with common Isopropyl Alcohol if you want to be doubly sure.

In terms of hot water, why use anything hotter than what comes out of the normal sink faucet? Warm to Hot water, a bit of anti-bacterial soap, and a toothbrush will take care of most soapscum-level cleanliness.

Boiling, soaking, etc. in cleaners can damage your "new" razor. If you are overly paranoid or worried, just buy new ones and save your sanity! Pitch any razor blades, or at least don't shave with them if they are "collectible" since a new tuck of 10 costs what, $2 or less?

Read this one again ...

A good quality anti-bacterial soap will do wonders for washing away whatever you fear might be on the razor. A quick soak or wipe-down with common Isopropyl Alcohol if you want to be doubly sure.

In terms of hot water, why use anything hotter than what comes out of the normal sink faucet? Warm to Hot water, a bit of anti-bacterial soap, and a toothbrush will take care of most soapscum-level cleanliness.

Boiling, soaking, etc. in cleaners can damage your "new" razor. If you are overly paranoid or worried, just buy new ones and save your sanity! Pitch any razor blades, or at least don't shave with them if they are "collectible" since a new tuck of 10 costs what, $2 or less?
Pretty much the same!

I’ll add that antibacterial soaps aren’t the miracle many think they are. These soaps are causing resistance in some bacteria. This is why many microbiologists favor cleaning (removing) them from your body instead of trying to kill them.

Don't wanna read the entire thread?

- Never boil a razor.
- Scrub using a toothbrush and dish soap.
- Scrubbing Bubbles will help remove soap scum.
- I've used wooden toothpicks to gently scrape stubborn soap scum from crevices.

If you're a germaphobe:

Dip the cleaned razor in 90% isopropyl alcohol.

You can also use small bristle brush like you use to clean firearms, or one of those brushes that hearing aid users use to clean off particles of dust on hearing aids adjusting wheels.

Pretty much the same!

I’ll add that antibacterial soaps aren’t the miracle many think they are. These soaps are causing resistance in some bacteria. This is why many microbiologists favor cleaning (removing) them from your body instead of trying to kill them.
Over use, inappropriate use, etc. also applies to antibiotics. Drug-resistant TB is one that is self-inflicted. I fear getting a hospital infection, MRSA, more than the surgery itself too!

Regarding anti-bacterial soaps, there is speculation that this has led to lower immunity levels in children since they experience less exposure to things out in nature. In my case, I got Campylobacter Jujuni from the dairy room floor (likely a cow's tail swiped against my face at some point), which would have likely killed me if I was not in such good health (very good BMI and physical stamina). 6 months later I got it a second time and it was like a very mild case of the flu. Minor exposure to things at a young age is very good for someone's immune system. Milkmaids that got "Milk Pox" skipped the Black Plague that devastated Europe for reasons unknown at the time. Turns out "Milk Pox" was essentially a vaccine for the Black Death.

Over use, inappropriate use, etc. also applies to antibiotics. Drug-resistant TB is one that is self-inflicted. I fear getting a hospital infection, MRSA, more than the surgery itself too!

Regarding anti-bacterial soaps, there is speculation that this has led to lower immunity levels in children since they experience less exposure to things out in nature. In my case, I got Campylobacter Jujuni from the dairy room floor (likely a cow's tail swiped against my face at some point), which would have likely killed me if I was not in such good health (very good BMI and physical stamina). 6 months later I got it a second time and it was like a very mild case of the flu. Minor exposure to things at a young age is very good for someone's immune system. Milkmaids that got "Milk Pox" skipped the Black Plague that devastated Europe for reasons unknown at the time. Turns out "Milk Pox" was essentially a vaccine for the Black Death.
I’m sorry to hear you got sick, but you pretty much nailed the ideas on the head. If you really want a mind trip, read up on the hypothesis of increased allergies and being dewormed. It’s hypothesized we miss our worms. But, I’m getting a bit off topic and I won’t push it any further.

Top Bottom