What's new

Cleaning/Sterilizing an EBay razor

proxy.php

Oh no,all i do is soak them in boiling water,clean with a toothbrush and soap then wd40 all over,dry,then set to work with brasso.perfect every time.

WD40 contains a light oil and an alcohol solvent and is mildly corrosive. Razors do not need to be lubricated, but WD is good for dissolving gunk inside TTO handle assemblies. Wash the razor thoroughly after using WD40, as you really don't want the corrosive properties to dull the finish of the razor. If you really feel the need to lubricate your razor, just a plain mineral oil (sold in drug stores as a laxative) will not harm the razor.

Brasso is also not recommended for razors, as it is surprisingly aggressive and will remove gold plating. Of course, if you have a razor that is already down to its underlying brass, the Brasso is an acceptable choice.

For polishing only when needed, I have had great results from MAAS and Simichrome, two very similar products.

Those ultrasonic are pretty sweet. If I remember correctly, they're basically a bowl-like contraption filled with liquid that you place objects in and it uses ultrasound waves to "vibrate" the object clean while immersed. Unless I'm thinking of some other cleaning device that uses sound.... I think it depends on what solvent you're using in the ultrasonic cleaner, but I think some of them use plain old distilled water. If they're good enough to clean fine jewelry or a harmonica, it should be plenty safe for a razor as long as you're using a solvent that wont strip off plating.

Ultrasonics designed for jewelery cleaning are fine for razors, but still may remove paint from adjustable index numbers. Industrial-grade units made for heavier use can vibrate the plating right off (as I understand) and would not be recommended

Not to sound ungrateful to the many people who posted in this thread, but with so many saying this works, and then others saying no it doesn't...I almost feel like I am not sure what to do should I get an old DE. Do I boil it? Will Barbicide kill everything? Bleach? Alcohol? It seems each one of these was said to work great, and then others said that it either was not enough to kill everything, or it will damage the razor. I guess I will try Google to see what I need to do.

Not to sound ungrateful to the many people who posted in this thread, but with so many saying this works, and then others saying no it doesn't...I almost feel like I am not sure what to do should I get an old DE. Do I boil it? Will Barbicide kill everything? Bleach? Alcohol? It seems each one of these was said to work great, and then others said that it either was not enough to kill everything, or it will damage the razor. I guess I will try Google to see what I need to do.

Not to be rude, sir, but . . . many folk here post based upon their own personal experiences, or based upon what they have learned by reading the posts of other members. Sadly, some of the knowledge shared here has come at the expense of ruining (or at least cosmetically damaging) razors.

So please, since the collective wisdom of B&B membership has apparently not satisfied your quest for a correct answer, please Google this issue and see what comes up. (That was how I found Badger & Blade in the first place.) I would also suggest that you invest your money in only new razors that you feel comfortable using, and not bother with vintage razors since it seems the only way to be sure any and all cooties are dead is to kill the razor.

Put it in just boiled water, but do not boil it.
Barbicide will kill most things, but what exactly are you trying to kill?
Don't bleach it.
Use alcohol if you want. It's not likely to hurt. But again, what are you trying to kill?

If you'd rather use google than the collective wisdom here, you're a braver man than I. You're going to find a lot more
"boil in vinegar" advice out there than you are here.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm just going to say again that I am frequently amazed at the lengths that some folks will go to to "sanitize" a razor, and yet feel no qualms at all about putting restaurant silverware in their mouth, or filling up the Big Gulp cup at the local fast food ice machine and soda dispenser.

Anyone use Percarbonate-based cleaners? I'd think they'd be perfect for dissolving old gunk while not being corrosive?

Not to be rude, sir, but . . . many folk here post based upon their own personal experiences, or based upon what they have learned by reading the posts of other members. Sadly, some of the knowledge shared here has come at the expense of ruining (or at least cosmetically damaging) razors.

So please, since the collective wisdom of B&B membership has apparently not satisfied your quest for a correct answer, please Google this issue and see what comes up. (That was how I found Badger & Blade in the first place.) I would also suggest that you invest your money in only new razors that you feel comfortable using, and not bother with vintage razors since it seems the only way to be sure any and all cooties are dead is to kill the razor.
I assure you I meant no disrespect, and value the opinions/thoughts/help of the collective members here. If anyone took offense to my post, I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication on my part.

Put it in just boiled water, but do not boil it.
Barbicide will kill most things, but what exactly are you trying to kill?
Don't bleach it.
Use alcohol if you want. It's not likely to hurt. But again, what are you trying to kill?

If you'd rather use google than the collective wisdom here, you're a braver man than I. You're going to find a lot more
"boil in vinegar" advice out there than you are here.
I would not rather use Google. I greatly respect the knowledge that so many impart on here. Very sorry.

I recommend doing a web search for "sterilizing medical instruments at home." Yeah, I know it sounds bizarre, but you will come up with something. The consensus I found was this: put the razor in a pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes. Then you'll be ready to operate!

I recommend doing a web search for "sterilizing medical instruments at home." Yeah, I know it sounds bizarre, but you will come up with something. The consensus I found was this: put the razor in a pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes. Then you'll be ready to operate!
The pressure cooker is the almost the equivalent of an autoclave but keep in mind that the internal temp will reach about 245 F so make sure all the components of the razor will not be affected by that temp. Follow the directions for properly venting the cooker before and after the process.

What a bunch of paranoid people around here.... All I do with vintage DE razors is soak them in hot water from the tap with some dish soap, scrub them with more dish soap (the "extra hygiene" kind that's supposed to have some antibacterial stuff in there) and a toothbrush, then I pour some cheap Turkish lemon cologne in/on there (60% alcohol) and let dry. A couple drops of ballistol or mineral oil will keep the TTO mechanism lubricated.
If tarnished a LITTLE brasso will do the job, that's all.
On straight razors a quick wipe with alcohol (again cheap Turkish cologne), followed by some polishing compound and a honing is all I do.
The polishing and honing will remove the outer layer of steel anyway along with anything on it.
If it's clean it's clean, I just shave with it, I don't intend to cut myself open with it and I never had a problem with it.
There's more danger catching anything contagious riding public transportation, going to work, using a public restroom, having dinner in a restaurant, etc.

Ultrasonics designed for jewelery pest control brisbane are fine for razors, but still may remove paint from adjustable index numbers. Industrial-grade units made for heavier use can vibrate the plating right off (as I understand) and would pest control gold coast not be recommended
This is pretty long discussion about razor cleaning. We just to do bit of Google search and find right cleaning solution. I think it is not a difficult task at all

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is pretty long discussion about razor cleaning. We just to do bit of Google search and find right cleaning solution. I think it is not a difficult task at all

Google is chock full of advice that is wrong and may result in a destroyed razor.
This thread is long, but contains the experience of people who have actually tried and succeeded, or tried and failed.

I'm just going to say again that I am frequently amazed at the lengths that some folks will go to to "sanitize" a razor, and yet feel no qualms at all about putting restaurant silverware in their mouth, or filling up the Big Gulp cup at the local fast food ice machine and soda dispenser.

So true!! :lol:

That said - I just received a 'bay '68 Slim Adjustable (M4). I'll be visiting a local tattoo artist / neighbor to borrow his autoclave tonight. Not because I'm paranoid, but because it's safe, effective and expedient.

Top Bottom