What's new

Can only handle one pass

Good morning! I've always been a one pass shaver, but have tried doing a second pass the past couple shaves, but always get irritation. i’ve tried across the grain and against the grain, both yielding irritation. I was wondering if my second pass can be with the grain, or would that not be doing anything?

Good morning! I've always been a one pass shaver, but have tried doing a second pass the past couple shaves, but always get irritation. i’ve tried across the grain and against the grain, both yielding irritation. I was wondering if my second pass can be with the grain, or would that not be doing anything?
What razor and blades? Maybe a change is due?

What razor and blades? Maybe a change is due?
Doubtful. I use feather blades, been experimenting with different razors, as I've recently gotten back into wet shaving. R41 and Feather Artisan DX never disappoint, but DE89 and Tradere gen 2 OC aren't efficient / aggressive enough to do single passes, at least in my experience.

I will do as advised and try a touch-up / second pass WTG. I report back.

I usually do two passes WTG on my neck with my AC shavette (before my final ATG pass) and it does seem to pick up anything that was uneven or missed on the first pass.

You probably won't get as close with two WTG passes as you would by following the first pass with an XTG or ATG pass, but you will likely pick up some whiskers.

Really, if your neck can't handle XTG and ATG, just shave WTG and nobody but you will ever know.

I usually do two passes WTG on my neck with my AC shavette (before my final ATG pass) and it does seem to pick up anything that was uneven or missed on the first pass.

You probably won't get as close with two WTG passes as you would by following the first pass with an XTG or ATG pass, but you will likely pick up some whiskers.

Really, if your neck can't handle XTG and ATG, just shave WTG and nobody but you will ever know.
Especially with the R41 or Artisan shavette, one pass is good. But for less aggressive razors, I think I'll try a second WTG pass.

Do you like your shave with the single pass? The fewer passes you can get away with the better as long as you're getting the results you want. The only reason for additional passes is that the first pass doesn't always get you as close as desired. If you can ditch the second pass and have a close shave, you're better off.

Do you like your shave with the single pass? The fewer passes you can get away with the better as long as you're getting the results you want. The only reason for additional passes is that the first pass doesn't always get you as close as desired. If you can ditch the second pass and have a close shave, you're better off.
I keep a beard, so just cleaning up the neck and cheeks. Always get a close shave on cheeks but find the neck can be tricky, depending on the razor I'm using.

I really just made the post to ask if doing a second pass in the same direction was pointless or would cause irritation, and it seems like neither are true, so I will definitely try it out! Again, R41 and Feather shavette definitely don't need a second pass, but I like to use my other razors too.

I keep a beard, so just cleaning up the neck and cheeks. Always get a close shave on cheeks but find the neck can be tricky, depending on the razor I'm using.

I really just made the post to ask if doing a second pass in the same direction was pointless or would cause irritation, and it seems like neither are true, so I will definitely try it out! Again, R41 and Feather shavette definitely don't need a second pass, but I like to use my other razors too.

Gotcha. I often have a beard and do one pass plus cleanups. It's worth noting that passes don't have to be full passes. You can do a single pass and go over an area two or three times to get closer. Same is true for different direction. If some areas can handle XTG and others can't, just hit the areas that can and leave the rest.

I think you have to follow what your face is telling you. Maybe one pass and a bit of clean up. You could also try a more efficient razor to get the most out of your 1-pass.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I frequently do only two WTG passes with my more aggressive razors. I can get a DFS nearly every time.

My advice would be to make sure you rinse after your first pass, then do a full load/lather for your second pass. That's just me, though.

While rinsing after that first pass, you can feel the areas that need more attention. You can likely clean them up pretty easily on your second pass.

Good luck!

Top Bottom