What's new

C.V. Heljestrand MK No.24 worth a shot?

I picked this up at a flea market in France last week. I cannot find a single chip or crack on the blade, but it seems a little stiff at the pivot point and just all around a little dirty. I tried cleaning the blade a bit after this photo was taken and still couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it just not being shave ready. I have no idea about straights as I just started DE shaving about 5 months ago. Can anyone let me know if this is even a good blade? Should I have it restored/honed? Or just wait for a different one? Thanks guys!

Easy clean up and I think the MK 24's are slightly wedgie (correct me if I'm wrong), which will make it all that much easier to clean.

Swedish steel is hard and can take some time to set the bevel and tweak the edge, but it is most definitely well worth it! :thumbup1:

Nice score.

Easy clean up and I think the MK 24's are slightly wedgie (correct me if I'm wrong), which will make it all that much easier to clean.

Swedish steel is hard and can take some time to set the bevel and tweak the edge, but it is most definitely well worth it! :thumbup1:

Nice score.
~¼ hollow

A layer of tape on the spine is advised.

Well if it really is that nice of a blade, then I think I will have to look for someone to reset it with some new scales and hone it for me. I am not that crafty and would be afraid of messing it up beyond repair. I've never even USED a straight before, let alone try to restore one. Maybe if I find something else to restore one of these days I'll give it a go. But I think I'll leave this one to a pro:thumbup:

Well if it really is that nice of a blade, then I think I will have to look for someone to reset it with some new scales and hone it for me. I am not that crafty and would be afraid of messing it up beyond repair. I've never even USED a straight before, let alone try to restore one. Maybe if I find something else to restore one of these days I'll give it a go. But I think I'll leave this one to a pro:thumbup:
I'm no pro, but from the looks of the pics my skills are enough to clean it up, re-pin it & hone it if you like me to. No charge of course.

But then you have to publicly promise that you will use it & start a thread about your experiences during the first shaves :w00t:

I'm no pro, but from the looks of the pics my skills are enough to clean it up, re-pin it & hone it if you like me to. No charge of course.

But then you have to publicly promise that you will use it & start a thread about your experiences during the first shaves :w00t:

I think I'll have to take you up on that offer. I hope shipping from an FPO to Europe isn't an issue.

If you are gracious enough to do this for me. I promise I will keep a shave journal and post each shave with it and my thoughts about the shave for at least a month. If not longer until I stop hacking my face apart:biggrin1:. Maybe a few photos even! Looks like I'll need to pick out a stop here soon:thumbup:

That's fantastic of you to do this! :thumbup:

I think I'll have to take you up on that offer. I hope shipping from an FPO to Europe isn't an issue.

If you are gracious enough to do this for me. I promise I will keep a shave journal and post each shave with it and my thoughts about the shave for at least a month. If not longer until I stop hacking my face apart:biggrin1:. Maybe a few photos even! Looks like I'll need to pick out a stop here soon:thumbup:

Then we have a deal!

I don't think it's a problem with the mail, double check with your post office though.
If you are stationed in Italy, that's inside the EU & we are nowadys one big (happy?) family :biggrin1:

I'll PM you with my address shortly!

This may also be the proper time for a public disclaimer that I can't be held responsible for any scars you give yourself during shaving or what happens when all the pretty girls will inevitably chase after you just to touch your face :tongue_sm

This may also be the proper time for a public disclaimer that I can't be held responsible for any scars you give yourself during shaving or what happens when all the pretty girls will inevitably chase after you just to touch your face :tongue_sm

I can't wait! :w00t:

I'll be sure to pass this message/disclaimer along to my wife...

:idea:

On second thought, maybe not haha

proxy.php

One old Swede going south tomorrow :w00t:

Not to go off topic but in the thread you linked there was a quote about not like others in the "MK" series. Could you be so kind as to enlighten me on what "MK" stands for Honed?

Not to go off topic but in the thread you linked there was a quote about not like others in the "MK" series. Could you be so kind as to enlighten me on what "MK" stands for Honed?
I have never read an definitive answer from a reliable source, but all the evidence points to "Mästerlig Kvalité" translates roughly to "Quality by a Master"
That coupled with the 3 crowns is probably an old marking for what the British calls "By appointment to her Royalty the Queen/King"
i.e a sort of seal only special makers are aloud to carry with goods approved by the King.

Last time I go off topic. I would pm if I didn't think this subject of interest to others.
I have from another friend who was told "MK= Magnus Kindal. He was the importer of C.V.H. in Paris and he started his activity 1898." so your version makes more sense and I know the three crowns are kind of a seal and mean the highest quality. My apologies to the OP.

Nice job Honed,

One of these days I'm going to have to try out a Swedish blade. I might need to you to hook me up!

Hey Jens - any idea how many MK's are out there? I saw an MK 5 this week on eBay that I'd never seen before in almost a year of watching eBay. Let's just say it went for quite a bit.

Last time I go off topic. I would pm if I didn't think this subject of interest to others.
I have from another friend who was told "MK= Magnus Kindal. He was the importer of C.V.H. in Paris and he started his activity 1898." so your version makes more sense and I know the three crowns are kind of a seal and mean the highest quality. My apologies to the OP.
Sounds plausible too.
The only thing is that from what I have gathered Mr Kindal didn't play an important role in Sweden. He was very important for their export to France, but was that enough to name a razor after him? Dunno.

The 3 crowns is a very old sign & symbol for Sweden.
We still use it, just think of our national hockey team shirts:
proxy.php

Nice job Honed,

One of these days I'm going to have to try out a Swedish blade. I might need to you to hook me up!
We must sort that out :001_tongu

Hey Jens - any idea how many MK's are out there? I saw an MK 5 this week on eBay that I'd never seen before in almost a year of watching eBay. Let's just say it went for quite a bit.
I did a separate thread about it;
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=208398

Top Bottom