What's new

Budget smells!

+1 on Quorum and Aspen and add original Polo
+1

I was expecting no longevity, and a average smell, but it's actually really nice with at least 4 hours of longevity.

Adding to the list: Cool Water, Aspen (two 1.7oz bottles for $14.99 as a gift set), and Quorum (big 3.4 oz bottle for around $20).

I am also a big fan of Mcgraw, and Mcgraw Southern Blend as well.

Avon is putting out some good scents these days, and they have sales quite often that makes them dirt cheap (Wild Country, Mesmerize, Black Suede, Black Suede Leather to name a few).

I like Yardley Citrus & Wood quite a lot. It is not real cheap but a 1.7 oz spray bottle is about $25.00 at several vendors. It last quit a long time on me and I have had several compliments from others when I wear it.

Regards,

Doug

Yardley Citrus and Wood. Smells similar to Terre D'Hermes (according to reviews) and was only $8 at Marshalls. Lovely stuff!

I noticed that Brut is on the comeback in the shops lately and, wait for it, Blue Stratos.
The Brut has a sexy new bottle too! I sampled it and I hate to admit, it that it has an early 80s Playboy scent to it and I secretly like that kind of thing. Imagine driving a Renault Fuego Coupe around Paris and picking up hot chics. It's a gigolo thing! Lovely stuff!

Blue Stratos, I sampled that too and it does not stand out like Brut as it is more sterile and generic. Remember the old advert with the hang glider in the 70s? I was a big Mandate man when I was 18 and I would nearly buy that for a blast of nostalgia! I haven't smelt this yet but I can't wait! I remember getting a Christmas gift of Mandate cologne and shower gel once upon a time! Then I got more sophisticated with my Rapport, YSL Jazz and Tuscany by Aramis! Aah, everybody's talking 'bout the good old days!

View attachment 252179 View attachment 252186

I'm wearing Brut right now! I love it and it's so cheap, definitely a must in any wetshaver's collection.

I will advertise Atkinson's English Lavender always :001_wub:.

I've red that their Gold Medal is also a very fine product.

Cerutti 1881 is not quite down there with the price but can be found very cheap. I like it a lot.

My regular favorite is Pino Silvestre. Pino is bracing, herbal, clean, refreshing, aromatic, coniferous and sexy in one scent. Very Italian and economical too. Online you can purchase both the aftershave and EDT together for under $30. Today I'm wearing Puig Quorum. this delicious, assertive and complex scent will only set you back some $15. You don't need to spend foolishly to smell great. I also enjoy the Pinuad line my favorite being their Special Reserve a great "Barber Shop" vibe scent that is a great manly combination of leathery, musky and sweet n' sour aromas with a bit of a powdery aspect to it. When I'm in the mood for a nice sweet fougere I'll splash on an thrifty, old favorite, Royal Copenhagen. Recently I sampled some Brut EDT. Very nice, much richer and more enjoyable than the splash on or aftershave.

+1

I was expecting no longevity, and a average smell, but it's actually really nice with at least 4 hours of longevity.

Adding to the list: Cool Water, Aspen (two 1.7oz bottles for $14.99 as a gift set), and Quorum (big 3.4 oz bottle for around $20).

I am also a big fan of Mcgraw, and Mcgraw Southern Blend as well.

Avon is putting out some good scents these days, and they have sales quite often that makes them dirt cheap (Wild Country, Mesmerize, Black Suede, Black Suede Leather to name a few).

I love the Flannel and AV needs to bring back Tia Winds.

Depends on where you live but Rochas Man can often be found at discounters for $20 for 1.7oz. Its really well blended and a great romantic scent (smells like a cappuccino more or less). I consider it one of the best values in fragrance and its a good alternative to most budget frags, which skew to more traditional/stronger fragrances.

I've always like Brut, but the Cologne spray didn't last long enough (only good for a couple of hours), nor did the EDT bottle of it (only good for about four hours).

Then I came across Fred Hayman Touch for Men EDT which smelled extremely similar to the original Brut, but lasted 8 hours. At first 50ml bottles were being sold for here $20, but then they dropped to $5. I picked up five of them. I keep one in the car for whenever I'm in need of that sharp Brut-like freshness.

Blue Stratos EDT is pretty good but is only effective for some four hours on me.

The other budget scent I'm fond of is Yardley's English Blazer - which reminds me a lot of Drakkar Noir.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Serious budget scents:

Lime zest (no kidding).
A little saddle soap (for you serious leather fans).
Home-made bay rum (look it up on the web).

Serious budget scents:

Add the Cuba Paris range to the mix. I was at Perfumania this past weekend (where they are almost always having some sort of a sale), and got bottles of Cuba Red, Blue, Orange, and Gold for $4 each. They were 1.17oz bottles, and the bottle is shaped like a cigar!! The Red is a nice sandalwood fragrance, the blue is a pretty standard powdery aquatic, and the Orange, and Gold I have really sampled yet.

For the $4 price tag, they are really hard to pass up. There is also Black, Grey, and Green varieties.

My favorite budget scent is without a doubt Azzaro Pour Homme. Somehow, by the grace of a supernatural being, even the reformulation turned out good (though I do miss the REAL oakmoss).

It's around $15 at the discounters - Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc.

I can remember wearing Brut in the 1970's when it was called Faberge Brut 33 and came in green glass bottle with a silver plate on the front (remember the "Enry Cooper ads from the 70's...:001_smile) and also sadly Hai Karate.........:blushing:.............Grey Flannel was one of my favourites used that for years.

My dad let me borrow his Gray Flannel when I was off to the mixers in prep school. Otherwise I reeked of Skin Bracer. My grandparents have me a Chaps by Ralph Lauren gift set for graduation (class of '87) and I wonder if it's worth revisiting. It made me feel like a million bucks back in the day.

Top Bottom