What's new

Bubble mailer vs Box to mail razors

that's not worth the extra three bucks to me.

As a shipper, I can see your point. As the receiver, it would be an awful shame to have paid money to receive a damaged razor when the shipper skimped on packaging for a small difference in cost. Charge an extra 2 bucks, box it, and make sure it arrives safely.

personally, i tend to use a 3 layer system. the first layer is a sealed plastic bag to keep out moisture. this gets put into a bubble bag and rolled up and sealed. then the whole thing goes into a padded mylar water-resistant mailer. i've never had any problems to date shipping things this way, even internationally.

the only time i use a box is when there is a plastic/styrene case involved or the razor is fragile/valuable.

just my opinion

This is my method of choice for most razors as well. Unless it's something particularly fragile, old, or valuable, I wrap the razor in plastic, then surround it with either lots of bubble wrap or newspaper, then into a small bubble mailer and taped shut. Tape over the to and from addresses to prevent rain or smudges from make them undeliverable, and tape over the closing edge so it won't come open. I've yet to have an issue this way, but will now including my packing plans when a seller PMs me, just so everyone is on the same page. If they'd prefer a different method, we'll work it out! :thumbup1:

Not a rant or anything, just wanna mention that guys, PLEASE mail razors in a box.
I've gotten a few razors in the mail before in bubble envelopes. Always scares me when I see it. If it's in an envelope, the mailman will try to squeeze it in my mail slot, where after it falls about 3' to the hard ceramic ground. Usually, someone else in my building will open the door and slam it against the wall. Also, USPS handlers aren't exactly kind to mail either.

So guys, please mail with a box, I'll pay a little more and wait if need be. Thanks!

+1 I just had a razor's silo door fall off and I believe that it was due to envelope + the way it was handled in the mail. To be fair I should have insisted on the method of packaging and shipping prior to the sale which I neglected to do.

Priority mail boxes are now printed on the inside with the words priority mail.

Is that to stop you reusing them? not quite in the ethos of reusing and a bit of a shame if it is a deliberate move. Seems they want the boxes to go to recycle centre and waste more energy turning them into something else.

Is that to stop you reusing them? not quite in the ethos of reusing and a bit of a shame if it is a deliberate move. Seems they want the boxes to go to recycle centre and waste more energy turning them into something else.

No. It is because the boxes are free to the public for priority mail use and they are trying to discourage their misuse which costs taxpayers money. You can, however, reuse one if you wrap it in brown shipping paper.

No. It is because the boxes are free to the public for priority mail use and they are trying to discourage their misuse which costs taxpayers money. You can, however, reuse one if you wrap it in brown shipping paper.

+1 and all it takes is a few cents worth of brown paper to reuse the box after it has been properly used as a priority mailer. I do this frequently.

A while back, I bought a "Mint Gold Tech" on the BST forum. The seller just threw the three pieces in a padded envelope without any padding to keep them from scratching each other. It wasn't a "Mint Gold Tech" when it arrived. You would expect common sense to prevent this.

Most of us would gladly pay a couple of extra dollars to prevent this kind of thing.

Rob

I believe you could once assemble the boxes inside out, and use them sans Priority.

I believe you could once assemble the boxes inside out, and use them sans Priority.

Yes I thought that because I received a few items from the US that were inside out.On the inside was the priority mail printing but the outside was plain.

I found with good success shipping in envelopes to use the swimming noddles that I bought at dollar tree. Just cut a piece off a little longer than the razor split in half and place around razor and wrap with tape firmly. My preferred method is bubble warp and a box but cost more to ship.

My personal experience has been that the only damaged razor I have received came in bubble lined mailer. I always ask for a bubble wrapped and boxed razor now and tell shipper that I will pay extra if needed. No one has asked for more and they all ship to me as asked.

Why put at risk a razor that has survived 50 maybe even a 100 years to save a buck.

What are we about anyway?

Yes, first class mail parcel rate stops at 13 ounces, but a small box with a razor in it isn't likely to tip that scale.
I also advise against using a priority mail box for anything other than priority mail. The reason it's printed on both sides is to discourage the practice. They can be re-used, for priority mail only. If you read the box you'll see that it remains property of the USPS, and misuse is a violation of federal law.

Top Bottom