What's new

British Gem 1912

I recently purchased this British Gem type 1912 razor. The only thing i found was that it was made in the 30’s and for the commonwealth market, but the Bakelite/plastic handle i can’t find any info of. Can someone help whit some more information.

Best Regards Manuel IMG_2544.jpegIMG_2545.jpegIMG_2546.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I recently purchased this British Gem type 1912 razor. The only thing i found was that it was made in the 30’s and for the commonwealth market, but the Bakelite/plastic handle i can’t find any info of. Can someone help whit some more information.

Best Regards Manuel View attachment 1746831View attachment 1746832View attachment 1746833
It could be a British military issue 1912 for soldiers going into WW2 with the Bakelite handle. The Americans had a similar Gem razor that the US military issued to soldiers with a light plastic case where the top lid of case slid into a groove to protect the content's to hold blades and razor to keep weight down. ASR corp had a razor factory built in 1930's in England for the British commonwealth market.
I found this one on Ebay for sale, but it is the American Gem Jr 1912 version but very similar, your British version is in good shape.
Military issued Gem razor.jpg

Have some great shaves!

It could be a British military issue 1912 for soldiers going into WW2 with the Bakelite handle. The Americans had a similar Gem razor that the US military issued to soldiers with a light plastic case where the top lid of case slid into a groove to protect the content's to hold blades and razor to keep weight down. ASR corp had a razor factory built in 1930's in England for the British commonwealth market.
I found this one on Ebay for sale, but it is the American Gem Jr 1912 version but very similar, your British version is in good shape.
View attachment 1746998
Have some great shaves!

Thank you Ron,

I also have this Gem Jr set, but this is a another handle. But the fit is as good as this so i think it is original.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Interesting handle -- and my mind went right to where Ron's (@Ron R) went as well. I've purchased many a "British-Made" GEMs (and Aussie ones too) over the years, but have yet to run into that particular handle. The closest I've come is the military one. I'm going to peruse my Waits' Compendium to see if there are any pics/mentions of this particular configuration. Congrats on a stellar acquisition.

And thanks @Whiterook for the "tag". I've been scarce around these parts of late, and it's nice to be remembered. :001_smile

Interesting handle -- and my mind went right to where Ron's (@Ron R) went as well. I've purchased many a "British-Made" GEMs (and Aussie ones too) over the years, but have yet to run into that particular handle. The closest I've come is the military one. I'm going to peruse my Waits' Compendium to see if there are any pics/mentions of this particular configuration. Congrats on a stellar acquisition.

And thanks @Whiterook for the "tag". I've been scarce around these parts of late, and it's nice to be remembered. :001_smile
Thank you very much, never heard of a Australian Gem, do you have some pictures?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thank you very much, never heard of a Australian Gem, do you have some pictures?
I was looking for my Aussie -- specifically had it in my head that it said "Made in Australia" -- but then remembered this thread:
150th GEM Anniversary

I did pick up a GEM (Made in UK), which looks exactly like the one in the thread above. You'll note there is a comment by a member who had heard/theorized that GEMs that were made in UK/England/Britain were actually done for export to the "colony", while EverReady razors made in UK/England/Britain were made for the "locals". I cannot discern any difference in my "Made in Brooklyn", "Made in England", "Made in Britain" razors -- but they are so very cool to collect. :001_cool:

Top Bottom