What's new

Boy Scouts of America (and other such organizations, globally)

Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, Later while in the Air Force, I started helping with the base Scout troop, later became the Scoutmaster ( at age 23).
Some of the best memories I have ever had. I hope that I made a difference in the lives of "my guys".

Got married, had two daughters, and was so disappointed at how poor the Girl Scouts were. So my girls were taught at home with the Boy Scout manual.

this is a great idea, i think i'm going to order my girls some cub scout handbooks tonight!!

Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, Later while in the Air Force, I started helping with the base Scout troop, later became the Scoutmaster ( at age 23).
Some of the best memories I have ever had. I hope that I made a difference in the lives of "my guys".

Got married, had two daughters, and was so disappointed at how poor the Girl Scouts were. So my girls were taught at home with the Boy Scout manual.

one of the coolest things about being the base scoutmaster, was the monthly one on one meeting with the base commander, who was also an Eagle Scout so of course he was very pro scouts.... Pretty much anything I wanted, I got.
One year I asked "my guys" would they rather go to Philmont or a canoe trip in Canada. They chose the Canoe trip. When I told the commander, he said we could use base vehicles, and the credit card for gas, he also called the base commanders of all the bases we would travel near, so we could stay for free, they even kept the chow hall open for us. What a fantastic trip, I will never forget it.

Last edited:
Did you plan the trip yourself or go out of the High Adventure base in MN? I've done a number of trips to the BWCA but never out of the BSA Base.

one of the coolest things about being the base scoutmaster, was the monthly one on one meeting with the base commander, who was also an Eagle Scout so of course he was very pro scouts.... Pretty much anything I wanted, I got.
One year I asked "my guys" would they rather go to Philmont or a canoe trip in Canada. They chose the Canoe trip. When I told the commander, he said we could use base vehicles, and the credit card for gas, he also called the base commanders of all the bases we would travel near, so we could stay for free, they even kept the chow hall open for us. What a fantastic trip, I will never forget it.

Eagle scout here. Have served in cub scouts and now boy scouts. Currently assistant SM. Just had a great scout camp last month. Great organization.

Last edited:
Did you plan the trip yourself or go out of the High Adventure base in MN? I've done a number of trips to the BWCA but never out of the BSA Base.
We planned ourselves. There are a number of outfitters in Ely MN. They treated us well, and we had a great adventure in the Boundry waters area.

4th generation Girl Scout here. Made Gold Award (equivalent to Eagle for GSUSA and WAGGGS). I'm now my daughter's troop leader. My oldest is earning her Bronze award and next year will earn her Silver.

4th generation Girl Scout here. Made Gold Award (equivalent to Eagle for GSUSA and WAGGGS). I'm now my daughter's troop leader. My oldest is earning her Bronze award and next year will earn her Silver.

Welcome to the Great Outdoors Steph!

I'm really enjoying the participation in this thread! I knew scouting would have a great representation on Badger & Blade! Scouting produces the best young men and women, and B&B you have to be among the best to find B&B!

At week long summer camp this week with 19 Scouts. 10 first time campers. You gotta love their enthusiasm and energy. I am Scoutmaster and this week always brings back many fond memories for my of my summer camp days in early 1970's.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My younger son just got back from his first BSA Summer camp and was as jazzed as I've ever seen him.

Like many of you I started in the Cub Scouts, then Webelos and eventually the Boy Scouts. I enjoyed all of these organizations very much. I made it up to First Class but then unfortunately my family moved and I had to leave scouting entirely. My family moved from the United States to Quebec, Canada.

While I was in the Boy Scouts I was the Quartermaster for my patrol. I kept typed lists of what each of my fellow members had for our group. I had a great time on the Jamborees and enjoyed the camping trips we went on every summer. It gave me a chance to be away from my family for a week and camp in the great outdoors.

I had a great time in the Boy Scouts of America.

I was in the Scouts from Tiger Cub all the way through my Eagle in 1998. My Scoutmaster--whose youngest sons were in my graduating class in high school--is still the Scoutmaster.

I wouldn't be the man I am today without the Scouts, and I definitely wouldn't have had some of the doors I've had opened to me...and a heck of a lot of great adventures. I learned an awful lot about myself in those ten days at Philmont....

Let me start out, I'm not trying to boast or brag about my accomplishments, rather I just want to show you how my life is Scouting!
Started off as a Venturing scout when I was about 6, for those who think I meant 16 let me explain: Before I was became cub scout my dad got involved with a venturing crew and took me with him so that I could teach the older boys how to start a fire and cook over it.
Then I started cub scouts. Long story made short: then I became a Boy Scout. I was a Den Cheif from age 12 till I was 18. I got my Eagle barely before my 14th birthday. Because I earned my eagle young, my troop didn't really want to help me stay involved. Much to my parents surprise I found a scout camp to work at that summer. So starting at 14 I worked scout camps for 10 years. (As well as staffing or running events outside of scout camp)
I got the nickname MammalMan from teaching the Mammal Studies Merit Badge for a few years.
Needless to say Scouting was my "Sport"
I went on to earn 5 Eagle palms.
I was chosen to receive the Honor of Vigil in the Order of the Arrow. I eventually became the Lodge Cheif in the Order of the Arrow for my area.
I went through 3 different sessions of NYLT.
I am a three bead Bobwhite of the Gilwell Troop.
I met a girl also working at scout camp.
After camp we decided to date and a boom-chica-boom we decided to get married.
Fast forward to today: She is now a Professional for the Boy Scouts of America.
I am currently going to school to do the same thing. I am serving as the Troop Committee Chair in my local unit.( functioning as the scout master for the sake of the Troop as the SM has got busy with work as of late).
And for fun I decided to work at a BSA summer camp this summer as The Shooting Sports Director. I am there right now.
Scouting had made me who I am and I believe that it is the best program youth can be involved in to become better people. Men and women alike.
There is nothing like seeing a youth's (or Even an Adult's) life change for the better.
And that is was Scouting can do!!!
As I started out: Scouting is my life!

I made it to Life and only had the project to complete to make Eagle but jumped to a Drama Explorer Club instead when I went to boarding school. I regret not finishing (stopped right where my dad stopped). Now that I have a little boy I'm sure I'll get involved again when he is old enough. Many many great memories of scout trips. I was in the Order of the Arrow as well. Still have a merit badge sash, belt with those metal skill things, and probably the last uniform I wore stashed away somewhere. Makes my active duty dress uniform seem plain by comparison :p

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I was a cub, webelo, and a scout until around age 16. Didn't make Eagle. One of my few regrets in life. Been serving as an adult leader with my son for about 7 or 8 years now. Was assistant cub master. Now I'm assistant scout master. It's a great organization and has helped my son tremendously.

I completed the Arrow of Light and made it to Star and was also Brotherhood in the Order of the Arrow. I was an Owl, a good ole Owl too (C-37-01). My son made Eagle. My kids are grown up, so I volunteer with a Scoutreach Cub Scout pack and my son helps out too. Next week we take the cubs to camp. Wish me luck!

I completed all of the requirements for my Eagle (all merit badges and my service project) but discovered girls before submitting it all. So I guess I'm still a Life Scout.

I made it to Eagle, just as my older brother and father had before me. Although I must admit that I cut it quite close, finishing up all of my requirements about a month before my 18th birthday. As they say, if it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done. I haven't gotten involved with a troop yet in a leadership role, but I may look into it in the future. I enjoyed my time in Scouts and learned a lot that serves me to this day.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see this thread alive and well!

It's amazing the influence Scouting has had on so many people!

Top Bottom