What's new

And So It Begins...

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to the neighborhood @JohnSmalls ! Always nice to have new members join the ranks. That's a great kit that will serve you well! Happy shaves and I hope to hear more about your journey!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Good to know, thanks Todd! This may be a naive or too broad of a question: Do you have any tips on how I can clean this razor up and even lightly restore it before using it?
And, later, as time goes on, you might decide to do a complete restoration. Chris @ Back Roads Gold does an amazing job of replating razors. I have two on the way back to me now.

You’ll find people here who have had many, many razors replated by Chris and even more who leave them just as they are after a good cleaning.

I see @mgweatherly ready posted this. I should have read the whole thread before commenting. But it just goes to show you how highly regarded Chris is here.

Oh, and an official “Welcome to B&B”. 😉

Thanks for the warm welcome again fellas! Glad to be here and learn what I can pick up. I gave the Tech a first run this morning with a well used Personna Lab Blue. Kept most of the routine the same but was in a little bit of a hurry so I didn't get the careful additional passes that I would have liked. You guys are dead on when you say it is a mild razor. Very very easy for a beginner to use. I wasn't as thrilled with the overall result of the shave as I have been with the Merkur (especially around the jaw/neckline); but it's too soon to pass judgement. I've got a few more Personna's on the way which will suit for the time being. I want to work on technique before I allow my curiosity to take over.

Welcome! Looks like a great setup! I love my Proraso green, and that Nivea is an excellent aftershave for the money. I don't know much about vintage razors, but plenty of folks here do.

Also, nice avatar, my daughter graduated from Clemson last year, we're looking forward to football!
Great to see another Tiger here! Congratulations to your daughter. I come from a multiline Clemson family, but I ultimately decided to go to a small school about an hour from Clemson (just close enough for football season). Absolutely looking forward to Monday's kickoff.

The Proraso is my favorite part of my morning shave. As good as it is, Proraso will be taking a greater spot in my medicine cabinet soon.
If you really want to venture into old school things you might want to give straight razor shaving a go. There is a certain satisfaction in shaving with an 1800’s or 1900’ s straight razor once you get the hang of it.
I've got to give it to you guys that go SR. You guys have a skill and competence that I stand in awe of. It looks awesome but I haven't quite worked up the confidence to go that route.
Welcome. It's funny you have some of the same stuff I used when getting started using DEs. You should do fine with what you've got, but if not we're here to help you find all the rabbit holes. We call it "variety" or "a rotation".

:biggrin:
I spent some time lurking here to go the route I did. I probably saw one of your posts that helped me decide on the products that I did. Price was certainly a starting point, Italy was a benefit, and quality was the decider. I'm happy on my starting block, but I will certainly be seeking rabbit hunting tips before long! I'm already working on a few questions based on some things that I've noticed thus far (5 shaves in).

Welcome to B&B.
I have since purchased a Gillette Gold Tech of my own and some Personna Lab Blue blades to form a foundation of experience on before I start testing other blades and products.
The Gillette Tech and Personna Lab Blue are a good pairing and give great shaves with the correct blade angle. Keep working on the technique and the shaves will improve; the Shave Wiki is a good guide, ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Thanks! For a shave journal, do you make notes of what works/doesn't? What is a good place to start? I have very little practice journaling in my life.

When I started out I bought a smallish spiral bound notebook. I record date, razor, blade and number of uses, brush and soap. Beyond that information I sometimes add a comment. Back when I started I would use one page per day, as I often made observations or reflections or thought of some change in technique to try next day. I've kind of got technique sorted now, so my usual entry is fairly minimal, just like for today:

SOTD: Wednesday August 31
Razor: Rex Konsul
Blade: Astra SP (5)
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

Since my brush doesn't change often and I make my own soap so I just use it until all the pucks are gone, I could probably take them out. But it's just information. The main reason I might go back and refer to a journal is to figure out how many uses on the blade or else to look to see when was the last time I used some particular razor. Not often for either one, I admit. I also don't save the journals; when they're full they get recycled.

It's useful to have a place to put your thoughts, triumphs and tragedies. Once you've got things on the go it's probably most useful for the number of uses on the blade. You could alternatively track that with a die of some kind. I generally get six shaves out of an Astra SP so I can make do with a 6-sided die. Game shops sell other sizes of dice, so you can find one that works for you if you're inclined.

O.H.

O.H.

As @Old Hippie says. It can be as basic as these, or anything that you think might help down the road. Much like other areas of life it can cut down on the 'how did I do that thing that worked' moments.
20220831_191742.jpg

20220831_191755.jpg

20220831_191810.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For years I have said that I was born in the wrong decade (90s). I love some old school things like writing with fountain pens and playing golf; but I certainly am a millennial at heart as technology has been a big part of my life. I had been kicking around the idea of trying to shave with a DE safety razor for years but never did make the jump. I heard it was a waste of time, outdated, and stupid. So for years I started with Gillette disposables, moved on to Mach 3's, used a fusion or two, Shick hydros, dollar shave club, harry's, before settling on Bic flex 3. Without a doubt in my mind, Mach 3's were the mack daddy of shaving.

I stumbled into B&B a month ago or so and begin doing some research, I figured I would finally give this a shot. Thanks to my brother (whom I didn't realize has been DE shaving for 6 years) for letting me borrow his backup Merkur 23c and a brand new Personna Lab Blue, now I am hooked. I have to thank you guys for putting some great recommendations out for newbies. Because of your knowledge, I have developed a pre-shave routine for the first time in my life. I've learned how to make a legitimate lather, and have an idea of how to use a safety razor. I have since purchased a Gillette Gold Tech of my own and some Personna Lab Blue blades to form a foundation of experience on before I start testing other blades and products.

View attachment 1514125
Nice kit! Welcome to B&B

~doug~

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

This past week has been fun and full of lessons. The first one was don't rush through a shave. I've been looking forward in getting more practice that I've tried to squeeze a shave in with minimal time...never again (at least until I am in a rush again). I've discovered that about 5 full shaves is as much as I want to get out of a Personna blue.

Is it common to get a dud blade out of a pack? I was looking forward to a nice relaxing shave this weekend, got prepped, new blade in the Gold Tech, and the new blade felt like a cheese grater. I switched to my brother's Merkur (while I still have it) and had the exact same thing happen, I got about halfway done before I couldn't stand it anymore. Tossed the blade into a makeshift bank and put another new one in, back the good smooth Personna feel. Face looked like I tried to shave with sandpaper and nicks everywhere. Awful surprise to what was supposed to be a nice calm morning.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

This past week has been fun and full of lessons. The first one was don't rush through a shave. I've been looking forward in getting more practice that I've tried to squeeze a shave in with minimal time...never again (at least until I am in a rush again). I've discovered that about 5 full shaves is as much as I want to get out of a Personna blue.

Is it common to get a dud blade out of a pack? I was looking forward to a nice relaxing shave this weekend, got prepped, new blade in the Gold Tech, and the new blade felt like a cheese grater. I switched to my brother's Merkur (while I still have it) and had the exact same thing happen, I got about halfway done before I couldn't stand it anymore. Tossed the blade into a makeshift bank and put another new one in, back the good smooth Personna feel. Face looked like I tried to shave with sandpaper and nicks everywhere. Awful surprise to what was supposed to be a nice calm morning.
I might have come across 1-2 duds in the last 2 years but I would say it’s uncommon for the majority of well regarded blades.

I might have come across 1-2 duds in the last 2 years but I would say it’s uncommon for the majority of well regarded blades.
I've only had three experiences that have come close to the discomfort of that dud blade this weekend; one was a pack of knock-off Mach 3's I bought in college trying to save a buck and a very unpleasant trial of Harry's early batch of cartridges. The last was poorly trimming my beard for a wedding, making a mistake and having to shave the whole thing; but that was a just a dent in my pride :001_302:

I have reached a decade of DE shaves; and it is fun to see what can be learned over the time. I am very confident that my lather is finally up to a consistent and acceptable level and is at it's best when done directly on top of Proraso green prershave. I used to do a hot towel ontop of the PRG preshave, but have discovered that to be unnecessary. Lab Blues (older model and current) are certainly at their very best on the second shave whether in the Merkur or the Gold Tech. So far, I prefer the head on the Merkur compared to the Gillette. The Gillette is very mild but I find myself wishing it would be slightly more aggressive.

In this first decade of shaves, my second shave ever was still the best in terms of closeness, BBS-ness, and comfort. This was done with the Merkur and og Personna Lab Blue (circa 2016/7). I have to figure out what I did there but it was almost perfect. Every shave since has been between a 5-8. I am struggling with closeness and consistency around my chin, frustratingly so and I consistently have a weeper or two with the Lab Blue in both the Gillette and the Merkur. However, the Merkur is soon to be back with it's real owner.

I have placed an order for a sample pack of blades. (Astra Superior Platinum, Derby Extra Blue, Feather, Gillette: 7 o'yellow, Platinum, Silver Blue, Personna Platinum, Tiger Superior, Super Shave x Platinum?, Treet Platinum). I recognized a lot of these from the forum but I'd be interested to see what you all have to say about them. I've noticed a lot of platinum blades here and am assuming that's a coating?

Per the common advice of you seasoned vets, I will keep variables to an absolute minimum (1 at a time) while I continue to learn my way around a DE razor.

Welcome to the forum! I too enjoy going old school but also enjoy a few of the modern razors. I love my vintage Gillettes but have found that a few modern razors shave just as good.

Top Bottom