What's new

Bookmarks?

Copyright!
I'm looking at something free to use such as original art or public domain.
Doh! 🤦‍♂️ silly me. Pesky rules lol 😂

I mean, I’m a little biased but I think something like this would look awesome! FinalLogoCC-07.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a 1951 Bulgarian 100 Leva banknote which my Father aquired during his time in the Merchant Navy. On his return he presented it to my Mother who kept it in her purse for at least 50 years until she passed away.

Just look at this happy Bulgarian grape picker, I wish I enjoyed my work as much.

20240223_132431~2.jpg

The watermark is a hammer and sickle, very evocative of the period.

20240223_132306~2.jpg

I have some leather, and I have a laser engraver.
Maybe I'll play around with this idea and come up with something.
I'm thinking that a very thin light colored hardwood strip would be equally suitable.
Come to think of it, a 3D printed bookmark would be great as well. Whatever thickness or color you could want, with the design integrated into the bookmark, like a cutout silhouette kind of deal.
Any ideas for designs that would be appropriate or appreciated?
I have 3D printed a few bookmarks for my kids. They were what I'd call a "pinch" design with a flap in the middle to clip around the page you're on. Also had a fairly large protrusion to stick out of the book. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I saw a bookmark idea that seemed pretty cool. These are sold commercially with variations on the design, (one brand name being Albatross) but the same idea.
Essentially, you could take this shape and cut it out of card stock. Then you fold it in half at the center.
When you open it, you put one wider leg near the front of the book and the other leg near the end of the book, with the folded V pointing down.
As you turn the page, the page sweeps past the folded V. When you close the book, the folded V drives further down into the book, acting as a page bookmark.

b3.jpg

1download.jpg

download.jpg

I have a few of these, sold on Amazon in different woods and designs, and they’re pretty good. Same idea as the ones @luvmysuper was designing. I was worried they’d be too thick to sit comfortably inside a closed book but they are fine (2mm thick). I don’t even mind the tassle with the ceramic bead. They’re a bit more than you’d really want to spend on a bookmark, though - more than 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollars, or around two American dollars.

79137A04-DC9F-409C-A278-583F04CB717E.jpeg

My wife has been experimenting with resin pouring and has a few bookmark molds. I'd guess the dimensions are similar to the ones @Mr. Shavington posted above. The molds have various designs imprinted but I believe she has a couple plain ones too. She's been thinking of using a clear pour with pressed flowers. A couple of the kids are voracious readers of dead-tree books so they get used.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I also have a couple of souvenir movie tickets that I use.

I've done the same throughout the years as well.

I'm thinking that a very thin light colored hardwood strip would be equally suitable.
Come to think of it, a 3D printed bookmark would be great as well. Whatever thickness or color you could want, with the design integrated into the bookmark, like a cutout silhouette kind of deal.
Any ideas for designs that would be appropriate or appreciated?

That's a great idea, Phil! Depending on what type of books you read, it might be fun to do themed bookmarks. For example, if you're into science fiction a spaceship or the Solar System or something like that might be cool. Or, if you're into mysteries, a silhouette of Sherlock Holmes or a magnifying glass might be cool. Heck, if you're reading War and Peace, one dedicated to just that book would be justifiable.

If it was my book I used to dog ear the page and sneer, "Take that, Mrs Grundy."
Before I normally used paperbacks anyways and a dog ear was just fine.

I can't bring myself to do that anymore. More than once, I've had a book splay open and the dog ear lose its crease. Plus, I don't go out of my way to do so, but I like to keep my books looking as nice and clean as possible.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Here are two examples of woven bookmarks. I used to have quite a few of these when I was book collecting, including some Victorian, but they’ve all gone now.
Just found another

Those are gorgeous. How durable are they?

I use a 1951 Bulgarian 100 Leva banknote which my Father aquired during his time in the Merchant Navy. On his return he presented it to my Mother who kept it in her purse for at least 50 years until she passed away.

Just look at this happy Bulgarian grape picker, I wish I enjoyed my work as much.

View attachment 1800793

The watermark is a hammer and sickle, very evocative of the period.

View attachment 1800792

That's a nice idea. I have some foreign bank notes that I might consider.

I have a few of these, sold on Amazon in different woods and designs, and they’re pretty good. Same idea as the ones @luvmysuper was designing. I was worried they’d be too thick to sit comfortably inside a closed book but they are fine (2mm thick). I don’t even mind the tassle with the ceramic bead. They’re a bit more than you’d really want to spend on a bookmark, though - more than 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollars, or around two American dollars.

View attachment 1800904

I looked at a few like that online. The thickness was also a concern, but I might need to check them out again if you think they don't create too much of a gap in the crease of the page.

I had a one-off business trip to Seoul, and was left with a KRW10,000 note - it's worth about SGD10 so there is no point in changing it, but it makes an ideal bookmark.
That’s the idea. I’ve always felt there was a FX arbitrage opportunity in buying curious, low value banknotes and selling them as bookmarks for greater than the exchange value. Or perhaps national exchequers should start calling low value notes ‘bookmarks’ instead. They could market them to tourists with the added incentive that they can also be used as legal tender in a pinch and when you have finished your book you can exchange your bookmark for a free sandwich or a coffee, or perhaps as partial payment toward another book.

Those are gorgeous. How durable are they?

That's a nice idea. I have some foreign bank notes that I might consider.

I looked at a few like that online. The thickness was also a concern, but I might need to check them out again if you think they don't create too much of a gap in the crease of the page.
They’re very durable and should last a lifetime at least.

This thread had me looking for bookmarks on our bookshelves. My wife seems to prefer retail bookmarks with tassels for her books. As for me, it seems I'm rather fond of using thick 3x5" index cards, cut into 1x5 strips. We've always had an index card holder on our fridge for jotting down grocery items, so I guess I find them convenient. The oldest bookmark I found was a NJ Transit train seat receipt, probably from the late 1980s as it was in a 3-vol slipcased HC editition of LOTR from back then. I used them a lot as bookmarks when I commuted by train in the 80s.

Top Bottom