What's new

Bookmarks?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Following this thread, I ended up making a bookmark. We have a laminator at work, so that's easy. I printed a picture of my latest acquisition (Diana Straight Razor) the size of a business card.
$Bookmark.JPG

The manliest bookmark that I use: a dollar bill. It costs exactly $1.00 and its a nice lengthwise shape - and it maintains its value forever! :D

My kindle does all my bookmarking for me...

When I read "real" books though, I would usually just tear some paper off of an envelope,bill,whatever was near me and use that.

My wife got me one of a awesome Persian rug mark red and black rather manly. I also had a star trek one also rather male. My thought for leather would be a leather shop like a western wear dealer may be able to direct you

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Necropost!!!

For the past couple decades I've just used a receipt, business card, promotional card, or something of that nature. I recently went through a box with a bunch of old childhood stuff in it, and came across these two bookmarks. I was probably eight or nine when I got both of them, and believe they're the only two that I have in my house.

I certainly don't need another bookmark (makeshift markers do just fine), but part of me now wants to order a few.

Any others out there with cool, beautiful, sentimental, etc. bookmarks?

20240221_182703.jpg

I used to use 1,000 rouble notes as bookmarks when I was into classic Russian literature. I wish I had some 100 trillion dollar notes from Zimbabwe - they would make glorious bookmarks. And bank notes are hard wearing so they do the job well, even the ones that have little financial value.

Aside from that I have a load of those bookrugs, which are very nice indeed. Harder to find these days, though.

The traditional leather ones don’t seem common any more but you can probably still find them in the gift shops of some tourist attractions. If I see one and I didn’t detest the place I was visiting, I’ll pick one up whenever I can. But the OP is right that these are getting replaced by nasty pictures of flowers laminated in plastic.

If any of you can find a manufacturer for leather bookmarks perhaps we could arrange a B&B group buy. You could put me down for 20 if they were nice, as I never have enough bookmarks.

In college, I once used an empty PB M&M package as a bookmark for a text book. So, obviously I'll use anything. Also, interesting fact, that text book is still behind me in my office WITH THE CANDY WRAPPER! Apparently it's durable.

But at home, I don't know that I've ever bought a book mark. I have a few that my kids have gifted me. One has Grogu on it, the others are the magnetic clip kind. I don't like the magnetic clips as much since they aren't as quick to place, but they work. I also have a couple of souvenir movie tickets that I use. I also have a couple of print outs from a photo booth where I took my daughter to a Father-Daughter dance that I use as well. I think those are my favorites.

Necropost!!!

For the past couple decades I've just used a receipt, business card, promotional card, or something of that nature. I recently went through a box with a bunch of old childhood stuff in it, and came across these two bookmarks. I was probably eight or nine when I got both of them, and believe they're the only two that I have in my house.

I certainly don't need another bookmark (makeshift markers do just fine), but part of me now wants to order a few.

Any others out there with cool, beautiful, sentimental, etc. bookmarks?

View attachment 1800058
Super cool! Thanks for resurrecting this thread!
If any of you can find a manufacturer for leather bookmarks perhaps we could arrange a B&B group buy. You could put me down for 20 if they were nice, as I never have enough bookmarks.
That would be awesome! I’d be in for something like that for sure!

nice resurrection! I generally use envelopes from bills and junk mail. They're handy and about the right size unless it's a pocket book (that's an ancient sounding word).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have some leather, and I have a laser engraver.
Maybe I'll play around with this idea and come up with something.
I'm thinking that a very thin light colored hardwood strip would be equally suitable.
Come to think of it, a 3D printed bookmark would be great as well. Whatever thickness or color you could want, with the design integrated into the bookmark, like a cutout silhouette kind of deal.
Any ideas for designs that would be appropriate or appreciated?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
No need for a book mark here as well, I think I read the last real printed book ten + years ago. Always on an ipad with Kindle now. Before I normally used paperbacks anyways and a dog ear was just fine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I use a Kindle, but I enjoy reading a paper and ink book as well.
I have a nice selection of books, some of my favorites that, fortunately, I need to re-read from time to time.

Here's a quick throw together of a 3D printed bookmark. 2"w x 8"t x 1/16th thick.
Just to illustrate the idea.
This or similar could be laser engraved on wood or leather or even card stock.

2.jpg

I use a Kindle, but I enjoy reading a paper and ink book as well.
I have a nice selection of books, some of my favorites that, fortunately, I need to re-read from time to time.

Here's a quick throw together of a 3D printed bookmark. 2"w x 8"t x 1/16th thick.
Just to illustrate the idea.
This or similar could be laser engraved on wood or leather or even card stock.

View attachment 1800550
That’s awesome! I also read physical copies and on a kindle. A custom bookmark would be sweet! I normally just use a business card for bookmarks.

The eagle looks super cool. B&B logo might look neat too!

I’ve got a couple tattoos that i think would be cool to see on a bookmark.

Top Bottom