What's new

Bombay Shaving Company Charcoal Shaving Cream.

Anyone tried this? Does it lather well like the other Indian creams like Godrej and Vicco?

bbc.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't possibly imagine a good reason to put an exfoliant in a shaving cream.
Abrasiveness is desired in an exfoliant and slickness and glide are desired in a shaving cream.
If it's slick how can it effectively "remove dirt from pores" and if it can remove dirt from pores how can it be slick?
It would be like shaving with
e1e4201b-6620-499e-bcaf-b3cb295c6e60.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Abrasiveness is desired in an exfoliant and slickness and glide are desired in a shaving cream.
If it's slick how can it effectively "remove dirt from pores" and if it can remove dirt from pores how can it be slick?
View attachment 1674978
And if they declare it's good for both it can only mean it's good for neither.

I don't know why having an exfoliant would make the cream perform worse? There are many high quality soaps with silt, clay, porous rock etc. MWF is lauded for its performance despite its most significant ingredient being lanolin which is waxy (not slick) and hydrophobic. For $4 it not like you lose anything trying it. I have had good success with the Indian shaving products, I doubt this will be a dud. Just temper expectations for it to perform like a $4 cream

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ingredients: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Perfume, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicate, Cera Alba (Bees Wax), Boric Acid, Lanolin, Menthol, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Charcoal Powder.

Charcoal powder is NOT a cleanser. In order for charcoal to do any cleansing, it must be because of abrasive qualities.
Clay used in shaving soap/cream is bentonite clay which is so fine that it actually increases slip.
Perhaps the charcoal is so fine that it is being used in place of bentonite clay for slip, but if so - then it can't be abrasive, so it can't be cleansing because charcoal in and of itself is not a cleanser, it is inert.
MWF most significant ingredient is not lanolin. Lanolin is the 14th listed ingredient out of 21 ingredients listed, so not significant at all, just like this item which has lanolin listed as #11 out of 15 ingredients.
Looking at the ingredient list, it might work just fine as a shaving cream, but let's be honest here - there's no "deep cleansing of skin and pores" from charcoal being done.
Any cleansing action is likely being assisted by the sodium silicate, which is a major component of detergents.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
View attachment 1674978
My father always used to keep several bars of Lava under the bathroom sink. Takes me right back to my childhood, Phil. :)

Razorock Gold Label has charcoal added and many here like it. I've got no problems with it.

I'm currently using Yardley's bath soap with charcoal and bentonite clay. It's slick as all get out, but makes a poor lather.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think it's just a thing to get people interested. Charcoal has this mystical reputation as a "purifier" and that it somehow absorbs toxins.
Powdered Activated Carbon (PAC) is a useful industrial component and is used extensively in mercury abatement, but it's because it has tremendous surface area for Hg to bond to.
A teaspoon of PAC has the same surface area as a football field. That's why it's a great filtration agent, and why it's an emergency poison first aid step.
PAC is not absorbed by the body, but compounds bind to the surface of the PAC and are passed by the body.
It doesn't magically remove toxins from skin surfaces. Any toxins that could be removed from the surface of the skin with PAC, could just as easily be removed by just washing your face.
It's just a sales gimmick.

Top Bottom