Staff member
Updated 8 December 2022

Updated 28 November 2022

Updated 9 November 2022

Updated 1 December 2022

None of these are website related.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have seen the Cloudflare deal a few times today. On my Chromebook it seems to blank out when certain ads are trying to load. I will see in the bottom left "waiting for adlink" or some such.

Has been happening to me too, fairly frequently, both on Windows laptop using Google Chrome and on iPad iOS using Safari.

A page will load and then goes blank. Happens randomly and fixes itself when I refresh. I sort of wonder if it is related to the advertising because it's sort of similar frequency - about every five pages there is a full-screen advert pop-up, and this blank page happens with similar frequency. I also note that most of us who are reporting this issue are not contributors.

I get this multiple times for the past few days. It'll be one particular post that won't load but I can go back and read other posts and then try the problem post again after a few minutes and eventually the screen will load.
1670519829918.png

Updated 8 December 2022

Updated 28 November 2022

Updated 9 November 2022

Updated 1 December 2022

None of these are website related.
The white screen is certainly website related. Nobody needs to do any of those things linked - they just need to refresh the page. The issue is only with B&B, no other websites, and it only started recently.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The white screen is certainly website related. Nobody needs to do any of those things linked - they just need to refresh the page. The issue is only with B&B, no other websites, and it only started recently.
Thanks for your opinion.
When it happens to whover logs in, I'll consider the option that it's not you.
The number of folks who log in here daily and DON'T have the issue speaks for itself.

I've had the white screen myself for the last few days and believe it is ad related also. I'm wondering if we are all using a similar ad blocker and that is somehow causing the blank page? I'll cut mine off on my home computer after work and see if anything changes this evening.

For what it's worth, I'm not a computer guy so could be way off base but it may be worth a shot.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Could be ad blocker related. I just looked through and no one who has complained of it here is a contributor.
I can't speak for guys having issues with given ad problems.
FYI the ad service we use is a third party service and not in any way affiliated with the site. How they run their ads, and whether there is something with their programming as an ad on ad server is beyond our control entirely.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, ‘pay up or put up‘ gents.
Well, if you choose to use a third party ad blocker (and I'm not saying that is the issue for certain) you voluntarily accept any potential glitches that come about because of it.
I know some folks who use some ad blockers that are a bit more discreet in their function and don't seem to manifest problems.
So, maybe not "pay up", but maybe look into an ad blocker that's a little less like a bull in a China shop.
Ultimately, there's a lot here to offer and we gotta keep the lights on.
That's going to get done by either Contributors or by ads.
The choice is entirely up to the members.

Well, if you choose to use a third party ad blocker (and I'm not saying that is the issue for certain) you voluntarily accept any potential glitches that come about because of it.
I know some folks who use some ad blockers that are a bit more discreet in their function and don't seem to manifest problems.
So, maybe not "pay up", but maybe look into an ad blocker that's a little less like a bull in a China shop.
Ultimately, there's a lot here to offer and we gotta keep the lights on.
That's going to get done by either Contributors or by ads.
The choice is entirely up to the members.
I don’t use any ad blocker, unless whatever is coded into (at least) Chrome and Safari with the default settings is clashing with your ads. I note that you aren’t big on my opinions but nevertheless I will suggest, with the continued intent of being constructive about this issue, that there’s a problem that is going to make the site quite annoying for non-contributors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t use any ad blocker, unless whatever is coded into (at least) Chrome and Safari is clashing with your ads. I note that you aren’t big on my opinions but nevertheless I will suggest, with the continued intent of being constructive about this issue, that there’s a problem that is going to make the site quite annoying for non-contributors.
It's not that I don't care for your opinion at all.
It's that the issue does NOT seem to be site related.
There is absolutely nothing our IT guru can do with the software used by the ad server here at B&B.
The ad software is independent and unrelated to site functionality.

It's not that I don't care for your opinion at all.
It's that the issue does NOT seem to be site related.
There is absolutely nothing our IT guru can do with the software used by the ad server here at B&B.
The ad software is independent and unrelated to site functionality.
Yeah, I saw your comment about the ads being third-party controlled. Let’s hope it’s a short-term glitch and they will resolve it. Presumably they must be aware by now that their software is causing issues on websites with the same ad service configurations as B&B.

I would question the wisdom of handing over so much site functionality to a third party, but it’s not my business and I guess if it hurts a lot of their client web businesses it can’t be good for them either - at least not long term.

Could someone who is seeing these blank pages please try one or both of the following? Immediately after being served a blank page,
  1. open the site in their browsers "incognito mode" (also commonly called private mode)
  2. try opening the site in a different browser

Could someone who is seeing these blank pages please try one or both of the following? Immediately after being served a blank page,
  1. open the site in their browsers "incognito mode" (also commonly called private mode)
  2. try opening the site in a different browser
I don’t know how to do #1 but this is how my privacy settings in Safari look, if it helps.

697C2B04-17F0-44E3-82CB-ADC93C0738AA.jpeg

I have the same white screen glitches with Google Chrome but I can’t check the privacy settings just now and it is on my work laptop so I may not be able to change them.

Top Bottom