What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

lasta

Blade Biter
Back to the usual blade biting business. Although, I must admit, my ability to savour minute flavours have been diminished lately. I've gone from daily near BBS chasing to once every 3-4 days.

The face is not used to being so well-rested, and even previously mediocre sharp sharps can deliver fine results.

Today, I tried to re-acquaint myself with the fabled Wilkinson Super Sword Edge. From a fresh tuck.

20240408_090041.jpg

I've been unimpressed by Wilkies in the past, but they are VERY popular with the vintage users crowd and I thought I might as well give them another (3rd) chance. Fortunately, the overall experience was quite good.

First two strokes were underwhelming, not very sharp, in fact skipping over some hairs entirely. But after a few swipes, the edge came to strides and started cutting with quite some authority.

ATG was fine as well. Not quite hair melting nor tuggy, efficient enough. Very little issues when buffing the sides of my lips or lower neck trouble spots.

What's special about this blade is that it felt very very safe. Ie almost as if the edge is rounded. Similar to the first impressions I had of Israeli Personnas and our yellow professor's favourite Schicks. Much smoother than they are sharp.

Results are good. Solid BBS-, very little aftershave sting, and no post shave irritation to speak of.

For first impressions, I'd give them 3.5/5 sharp and 4.5/5 smooth.

Positives: very smooth, very safe.
Negatives: takes a few strokes to start cutting well. I prefer my blades to be in tip top shape right off the bat.

Very very good blades, although, for the ebay prices they command, I'd much rather stock up on 1000 Dorco Titans.

Back to the usual blade biting business. Although, I must admit, my ability to savour minute flavours have been diminished lately. I've gone from daily near BBS chasing to once every 3-4 days.

The face is not used to being so well-rested, and even previously mediocre sharp sharps can deliver fine results.

Today, I tried to re-acquaint myself with the fabled Wilkinson Super Sword Edge. From a fresh tuck.

View attachment 1825560

I've been unimpressed by Wilkies in the past, but they are VERY popular with the vintage users crowd and I thought I might as well give them another (3rd) chance. Fortunately, the overall experience was quite good.

First two strokes were underwhelming, not very sharp, in fact skipping over some hairs entirely. But after a few swipes, the edge came to strides and started cutting with quite some authority.

ATG was fine as well. Not quite hair melting nor tuggy, efficient enough. Very little issues when buffing the sides of my lips or lower neck trouble spots.

What's special about this blade is that it felt very very safe. Ie almost as if the edge is rounded. Similar to the first impressions I had of Israeli Personnas and our yellow professor's favourite Schicks. Much smoother than they are sharp.

Results are good. Solid BBS-, very little aftershave sting, and no post shave irritation to speak of.

For first impressions, I'd give them 3.5/5 sharp and 4.5/5 smooth.

Positives: very smooth, very safe.
Negatives: takes a few strokes to start cutting well. I prefer my blades to be in tip top shape right off the bat.

Very very good blades, although, for the ebay prices they command, I'd much rather stock up on 1000 Dorco Titans.
Dorco Titans are great blades and very attractively priced as well! I like them as well.

lasta

Blade Biter
Nice review there! And I can only second Dorco Titans. Superb blade. Cult worthy I would say.
Dorco Titans are great blades and very attractively priced as well! I like them as well.
Them Titans are very good blades. Pretty high on my list for its smooth/safe/easy going nature. While not as sharp nor smooth as GSBs, they are only 1/3 the price nowadays, so there is merit for sure.

But...Cult worthy? Hell no!

lasta

Blade Biter
I just had one of the worst shaves I can remember!

Second use Wilkinson Super Sword Edge loaded in a New SC and generously lathered Arko! Blade felt plenty sharp, but every stroke felt rougher than the one before.

I didn't mind it much and continued my 2 pass shave as usual. Aftershave splash felt about average.

But when I left the bathroom and stroked my face (we all do that right?) I saw blood! Blotted my face with some tissue paper and there was literally 100+ red pinholes!

I won't post any disgusting pictures, but it looked as if every hair follicle was bleeding!

A generous all over alum rub contained the slaughter and I left the house without looking like ive just been mugged, but damn!

I just had one of the worst shaves I can remember!

Second use Wilkinson Super Sword Edge loaded in a New SC and generously lathered Arko! Blade felt plenty sharp, but every stroke felt rougher than the one before.

I didn't mind it much and continued my 2 pass shave as usual. Aftershave splash felt about average.

But when I left the bathroom and stroked my face (we all do that right?) I saw blood! Blotted my face with some tissue paper and there was literally 100+ red pinholes!

I won't post any disgusting pictures, but it looked as if every hair follicle was bleeding!

A generous all over alum rub contained the slaughter and I left the house without looking like ive just been mugged, but damn!
Oh no that does not sound good at all. Please heal up quickly @lasta.

Top Bottom