What's new

Best Survival Advice You Ever Got.

Best advice I've gotten is "stay put" unless you're 100% certain you know the grass is greener in a particular direction (i.e. you know there's a river or creek at the base of the hill you're on).

Best advice I've ever received for being able to be found... with an addendum: If you have to/do for some reason leave where you are, Mark in what direction you went and when you left as best as possible. If you are coming back, mark that too. As you go, mark your path. Break branches with both hands constantly. Rip up grass in fields. Order rocks in lines. Wreck the landscape as much as possible on your path. Choose a landmark from where you start, one that you can see most of the path you will take to it. Keep walking towards that landmark while you mark your path. When you get to that landmark, you will have a mostly straight line and will avoid having walked in circles. Reference your straight line behind you to choose your next landmark. Keep doing this.
Doing this will not only keep you on a generally straight course, it will also make it easy to both track and find you... If and only if you have to leave wherever you started from. You are still far more likely to be found if you stay put.

Carry a deck of cards. If you realize you are lost sit down and start playing solitaire. It won't be long before someone shows up to tell you to put the 5 of Hearts on the 6 of Spades.
Similar advice for the tech oriented is to carry a 3' length of fiber optic cable. Just bury it and wait for the back hoe to show up...

Similar advice for the tech oriented is to carry a 3' length of fiber optic cable. Just bury it and wait for the back hoe to show up...

proxy.php

For the plumbers amongst us, bury a sewer pipe. Internet, cable TV, and electrical contractors will be along shortly to piggyback on your freshly covered ditch.

If you find yourself alone and lost in the woods. Don't get in a hurry, enjoy the quiet and you will find yourself. When you have found yourself you can find your way.

The first bit of advice I always gave in my Hunter Education classes. Keep your wits about you and if you are lost, build a safe fire and stay with it. People are always scanning the horizon and will come to a fire to put it out.

When going to Oktoberfest in Germany, ALWAYS put €20 in your shoe for a taxi, because you will ALWAYS miss the last train home.

I have to echo the thoughts of most on this thread. Your EDC should consist of a sure way to make fire, find a good place to stay put and don't panic. You may not be as bad off as you think.

Sort of along the lines of "staying found" as a way of avoiding getting lost, stop frequently and get your bearings, note big trees or other features, your orientation to nearby geographical features (a mountain peak, that ridge to the north, whatever).

Perhaps, if equipped, take photos often? When in the woods I like taking lots of photos, not talking setting up a tripod here, just quick snaps...most don't come out great but a few surprise me, and thinking about it in this context I imagine they all could be useful.

Perhaps, if equipped, take photos often? When in the woods I like taking lots of photos, not talking setting up a tripod here, just quick snaps...most don't come out great but a few surprise me, and thinking about it in this context I imagine they all could be useful.

Sounds like a great idea, but a study released a few weeks ago indicated that people who took photos of events had difficulty in remembering things that happened.
Based on personal experience, I would have to agree with that. Some of my best memories from road trips have been when someone else was taking the pictures.

In a survival situation, they may or may not be helpful... without context, a picture of a tree or creek is not much help. Might be helpful if the image is framed such that multiple landmarks on the horizon are visible, helping to fix a relative position.
Also, the battery in the camera MAY be a valuable item for starting a fire at some point.

Sounds like a great idea, but a study released a few weeks ago indicated that people who took photos of events had difficulty in remembering things that happened.

I can't speak for the folks in the study, but I don't remember anything regardless of whether or not I take photos. I have CRS. Anyway, good points.

The most important things to survive are water and Food. So keep finding potable water, and the best way to find food in a jungle is what other animals eat.This will keep you away from poisonous fruits.

I am personally aghast at how many people rely completely on GPS and other navigation systems. From what I've seen they have lost their sense of direction and pay little heed to local geography. Read a map and pay attention to surroundings.

Also, I was advised that if in a bar fight, try to pull your opponent's ear off (I'm in Oakland, CA). Apparently they come off easy and the aggressor will get distracted, pick it off the floor and start thinking about getting it sewn back on. I hope I don't ever have to try this.

Also, I was advised that if in a bar fight, try to pull your opponent's ear off (I'm in Oakland, CA). Apparently they come off easy and the aggressor will get distracted, pick it off the floor and start thinking about getting it sewn back on. I hope I don't ever have to try this.

If you just want out, might as well kick him in the groin. It may incapacitate him pretty quick and you are probably less likely to end up behind bars.

Me, I avoid fights. I have no interest in brawling whatsoever. I know someday I may have to for a good reason, and I hope I'm prepared, but I've made it through a couple decades since the last time I bothered with that crap and done just fine.

Top Bottom