What's new

Best Survival Advice You Ever Got.

I was watching Survivor Man tonight and was reminded of my father's advice about finding yourself lost in the woods. He said " When you realize that you're lost, sit down and come to grips with it. Don't freak out, remind yourself that you're one of the top predators the world has produced, and you have a loaded firearm. "(This conversation took place at my first visit to deer camp in the Ouachita Mountains. ) This advice has served me well on several occasions. Anyone else have words of wisdom?

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I don't think this was intended for the type of survival that you are talking about but it has served me well all over the world.

My father said, "Don't worry about the mule going blind. Just load the wagon."

Take a couple of new....fresh lighters with you whenever you are on an outdoors trek. Much better than rubbing two sticks together to light a fire.

Along with your lighters, bring along a snack bag of Frito corn chips (or other oily snack). If you don't get lost, you have a tasty snack for the drive home.

If you do get lost, you have an excellent bag of fire starters. One chip will last about 2 minutes which is long enough to dry out any wet tinder you are using.

Work to secure your shelter first if out in the elements. Aside from water, all else is secondary to include food.

Frank

Stay put and don't wander. Likely people will come look for you. Discharge a round in the air periodically to help your rescuers narrow your location. If you have no navigation tools(compass/map), place a stick in the ground and place a stone at the point of the shadow. Wait one half hour and place a stone at the point of the next shadow created as the sun moves. Draw a line connecting the two stones. This gives you a true East/West line. These are just a few tidbits.

So many good ones... How about this.

Don't step on anything you can step over. Don't step over anything you can walk around.

It's hard to do anything with a broken leg so best to avoid that or any injury if you can. Surviving becomes exponentially harder with an injury.

I don't think this was intended for the type of survival that you are talking about but it has served me well all over the world.

My father said, "Don't worry about the mule going blind. Just load the wagon."

On a similar note, when I left home my grandmother (who brought me up) gave me a red notebook which contained information such as my collar size and how to iron a shirt.
On the inside cover of the book she had written in capital letters "KNOW WHERE KEYS AND MONEY ARE AT ALL TIMES"

This advice has served me well and I have passed it on to my own children.
And in my entire life I have only lost my keys/wallet three times :)

Follow water downstream. It's easier going downhill. You won't die of thirst and sooner or later you'll run into someone. Of course the best advice is don't get into that kind of mess in the first place.

In public, never sit with your back to a door. Always sit with your back to a wall. My martial arts Grand Master.

A friend and I were swimming in the northern California coast when we wAs just a pup at 16 and we got pulled out very far from what began as an undercurrent then turned into a "voyage at sea". We'll, he started to freak out and I was laughing. Having grown up on the islands and around water it was natural for me. So I had to talk to him while we we're treading water but at no time getting close to him.
So there we were some 1/4 mile out to see and we started to make a a diagonal bee line to land. It took a little over an hour by my rough estimation to make it to shore. Luckily both of us were excellent athletes and between the side stroke and freestyle we made it albeit extremely exhausted, alive and shivering our butts off. As many have said, staying calm was key but also putting a plan in motion to take the mind off the immediate situation.

Another hint. Carry a survival kit in your vehicle. I have the usual things....military fold down shovel, traction bridges, water, food, multi tool, small axe, waterproof matches, etc.

But in addition carry some bush loppers...if you have the room in your vehicle. I was watching a survival show and a native elder....said he carries a pair in his truck. So if he does get stuck...or truck breaks down in the wilderness and has to build a temporary shelter...it's much faster cutting evergreen boughs, etc...with a good garden lopper. He was also the guy who suggested having a couple of lighters with you...easier to start fires.

Rxonmymind Very scary many people die here from the under toe

surf-fisherman outdoor tip
"never turn your back to the ocean"
ever 10,000 waves is a rogue

this is Mavericks territory~

Last edited:
Top Bottom