What's new

Best Pizza?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
You kidding me? I practically grew up in Charlivoix and I never heard about this place. How did I miss it?

My brother-in-law lives in Traverse City and he tipped me off to it. It's in the strip of shops down by the marina.

I did a lot of sailing in Charlevoix this last summer. Great place.

My brother-in-law lives in Traverse City and he tipped me off to it. It's in the strip of shops down by the marina.

I did a lot of sailing in Charlevoix this last summer. Great place.

I miss it like crazy. I've been meaning to take my boat up there, but the fuel cost from Milwaukee to Charlevoix would kill me.

You have one lucky brother in law. I would love to find a way to move up to Traverse City. I like Wisconsin, but Northern Michigan is the best.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I miss it like crazy. I've been meaning to take my boat up there, but the fuel cost from Milwaukee to Charlevoix would kill me.

You have one lucky brother in law. I would love to find a way to move up to Traverse City. I like Wisconsin, but Northern Michigan is the best.

We tried living in Petoskey and things just didn't work out for us, so we moved back to Green Bay. We are still leaving the door open for a Traverse City move when I graduate and get my teaching certification.

Gosh I miss them. Out here I've found a few decent pies but they don't measure up to the the New Haven 3. Plus there's a halfway decent university there, too.

Ah, you must be speaking of my alma mater: Southern Connecticut State University. :lol:

M

modern man

Just a little ribbing for my friends in the lower Baltimore County area!

I have had crabs at Costas, and they were good. My go to place now is Lady Frances, also in Essex. (I'm noticing a pattern...I need to get out more!) I've never been to Scooters...

Try living in Prince Georges. :2guns:

Thanks for the pizza/crab tip though, I may have to take the drive to Essex.

Jerry's Seafood (not the sub joint) is a decent spot for crab (order the Crab Bomb :thumbup1:).

https://www.jerrysseafood.com/main.php

I have been to the Lanham location. The place is a little rundown and a little overpriced but worth it.

Sorry for the Hijack, back to pizza. :redface:

Sal's Pizzeria, in Bed-Sty, Brooklyn
It's spelled Bed-Stuy though it's pronounced Bed-Sty. I forgive you. It was the Floridian in you typing. :tongue_sm

I've had pizza hundreds of times in NY, and believe me, it is highly overrated. It's good but far from great. The Apizza up in New Haven beats it hands down IMHO.
I don't know where you're getting your pizza from but there are plenty of great places. There aren't as many left as there used to be but they do exist.

My mother drops the end vowels on mozzarella, prosciutto, scungilli, etc. Discussion of this phenomenon here.
I taught myself Italian and I don't have any of the omissions in my speech because I learned technical Italian. Some Italians try to "correct" me with the wrong pronunciation. Sono una massa di idioti!

I can't believe that only one person from California has had the courage to weigh in on this.

In the bay area, try Zach's in Berkeley.

Best part, you can eat it in a nuclear-free zone. Yeah, the pizza may be good in NYC, but there is no local ordinance against nuclear weapons. Yep, nothing deters terrorists like a $60 fine.

proxy.php

Thought I was joking, huh?

I posted this question in another board and got some interesting feedback. In my ongoing quest to find the best pizza when I travel, I would like your feedback on what local joints offer the best pizza in your town.

I live in the Milwaukee area. We know how to do beer, bratwurst and cheese better than anyone, but we are lacking in the pizza department.

Lou Malnati's in the Chicago area (Buffalo Grove to be exact) is my top choice.

Milwaukee no good pizza? are you nuts!! How about Zaffiros and Lisas. The sausage mushroom onion at both is excellent.
Aaron

NYC Paulie Gees (Brooklyn)
DiFaro's (Brooklyn)

You can't go wrong with Totono's in Manhattan. Arturio's is also good (coal oven), Patsy's (way uptown - more for a slice, no atmosphere)

New Haven
Pepe's and Sally's Apizza (white clam pizza)

Anything new and exciting out there in the pizza world since the last post?

If anyone's ever in Glasgow, go to the 3-in-1 take-away on the South side of Otago St and order a "large chicken tikka massala pizza with extra cheese". They make an acceptable pizza, but while they're doing that they make a great curry from scratch. At the end, they pull the pizza out of the oven and pour the whole curry over it, then add cheese on top and stick it back in the oven for a few mins. It might be the least pizza-like pizza you have ever tasted, but if you've got 3 drunken buddies with you, it's hard to beat. Approx 3,000 calories a slice!

For real Pizza, Little Italy on Byres Rd isn't bad at all- thin, freshly made dough, not too much sauce or cheese and good ingredients. Very light and tasty. And they do good coffee too.

Top Bottom