What's new

BEAUTIFUL Pre-War Gillette Tech

That's a nice razor, but I think you made the right decision to hold off on that one. My approach to vintage razors is to go user grade. That way, I'm not out too much money if I don't like it, but I have the option to replate it or sell it and buy one in better condition if I do like it. I haven't found any vintage razors that I like as much as my modern stainless steel razors though, so I have just kept what I have as is to use as travel razors.

That's a nice razor, but I think you made the right decision to hold off on that one. My approach to vintage razors is to go user grade. That way, I'm not out too much money if I don't like it, but I have the option to replate it or sell it and buy one in better condition if I do like it. I haven't found any vintage razors that I like as much as my modern stainless steel razors though, so I have just kept what I have as is to use as travel razors.

Not a bad way to go about things. I only have vintage razors, which I find pretty cool. Currently using a 1964 Gillette SS that was my grandpa's. Maybe one day I'll give modern a shot, but something about having a razor built long ago just gives a good feeling.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Great razor, and I live ghee tweed case. I paid more than that for a tech once, but it was a cased British hybrid Tech, so I feel like it was worth it.
Still one of my favorite razors.

This is sound advice. Where were you $300 ago?

The Tweed set is the only time I've ever seen the Gold Techs made in the USA with the triangular slots .The gold US Techs sets I have seen all the oval slots, did Gillette anybody make a triangle slot in a set other than the Tweed .

Glenn

The Tweed set is the only time I've ever seen the Gold Techs made in the USA with the triangular slots .The gold US Techs sets I have seen all the oval slots, did Gillette anybody make a triangle slot in a set other than the Tweed .

Glenn

I think I saw some others on Mr. Razor's. I'll try to find the link.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

I bowed out at $80.00. Part of me wishes I would have just gone for it.

I think I stuck in until $45, but would have been in a missing persons report once my wife found out if I paid that much for a razor! Haha.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

It's a beauty but I prefer the nickle plated for both appearance and durability.
Being a Veteran have you looked at the Canadian Khaki kits?

I know of them a bit, but haven't seen one for sale. It would be a pretty cool add. I didn't know that they were Canadian. Were they only used for Canadian troops, or did the US and Britain also have a version?

Happy Shaving
-Chris

As far as I know it was just the Canadian Army during WWII.
Odd since it was the U.S. Army that made Khaki kits standard issue in WWI a move that helped propel Gillette to massive success.

I saw that set and wondered what it ended up going for! Those old techs can give some amazing shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I stuck in until $45, but would have been in a missing persons report once my wife found out if I paid that much for a razor! Haha.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

I paid $45 for a Toggle, but I don't think I could pay that for a Tech. As Dirty Harry Callahan once said, "A man has to know his limitations..."

Glenn

only with gold head, not handle:

proxy.php

proxy.php

As far as I know it was just the Canadian Army during WWII.
Odd since it was the U.S. Army that made Khaki kits standard issue in WWI a move that helped propel Gillette to massive success.

This is my understanding also. I recently purchased on is poor condition (case) but the razor is still good. Lots of pre-war Canadian techs seems to be floating around but I'm also looking for them so that could be a factor.

My grandfather had one while fighting in the second world War. I wish he still had it. That razor has definitely got some miles on it.

Top Bottom