What's new

Barbicide on a Gillette Slim Adjustable

Interesting that I didn't see any comments about using Scrubbing Bubbles. When I got my 1959 FB, I soaked it in Barbacide for 10-15 minutes and then sprayed the head with Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for about the same time, then used a toothbrush to give it an extra scrub. Nothing got hurt on the razor.

I have had to properly clean and disinfect tools/equipment for years and I was always taught to remove the gunk first, then disinfect. Soap scum and other odd deposits found in your razor could potentially harbour all sorts of nasty things and hitting these with a disinfectant may not be enough as disinfectants need to make contact to work properly. Trying cleaning the razor very well first and then just use rubbing or iso alcohol from the drug store. Super cheap, easy to use and if you like you could add some blue food colouring for effect. This should be more than enough. Also, soaking for long periods of time is not really necessary. The step most people forget is the cleaning first. Hot water and dish soap seemed to work best for me but I've used ultra sonic cleaners from our lab and a tumbler from my reloading bench. Boiling works but avoid the razor sitting on the bottom of a pot which will be at a temperature much greater than 100 degrees centigrade.

I got an old neglected fatboy to look brand new with a tooth brush, dawn dish soap, some MAAS, hard work, and a few rinses in alcohol. Boom..done

Suggestion on boiling. There's a standoff that's used in a lot of pressure cookers. It sits on the bottom of the pot, and rises up about 1/2 of an inch. Anything on that does not directly contact the bottom of the pot, so it's never above boiling temperature.

If a ball end Tech is too light I would suggest starting at 4 or 5 on the slim. Just make sure when you turn the knob the doors are open. You can damage the adjustment mechanism if you don't.
Thanks. In fact, I did use it on a setting of 4. Excellent, bbs shave. I had adjusted the dial while the doors were closed but now I adjust it when they are open. Hopefully I haven't damaged the razor already by adjusting it witht he doors closed. Lol.

Thanks. In fact, I did use it on a setting of 4. Excellent, bbs shave. I had adjusted the dial while the doors were closed but now I adjust it when they are open. Hopefully I haven't damaged the razor already by adjusting it witht he doors closed. Lol.

It's okay to do every now and then but I would try to avoid it. I'm glad the 4 setting worked out for you! Enjoy the future BBS shaves!

Top Bottom