What's new

Barbicide on a Gillette Slim Adjustable

Hello. I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable coming in the mail and wanted to know if it is safe to soak in Barbicide. It won't eat away at the plating or the numbers will it? I want to make sure it is properly sterilized. Thank you.

I had the same thing, mine had been barbicided though when I got it but I decided (after reading some posts on this matter) to simply soak mine i a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes. That worked fine.

R

romsitsa

If the plating is damaged a longer soak could cause further plate loss, painted numbers shouldn't be harmed unless you use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Adam

Just not for long. Barbicide is not needed to sanitize. A good wipe with rubbing alcohol will suffice. If you really want to submerge, just dunk a couple of times, shake, and rinse off. Soaking will not add to the efficacy.

Or you could do a soak in Efferdent denture cleaner tablet (20/$1.00 at discount stores) - kills 99.9% of bacteria and helps loosen and break-up scum and deposits.

Hydrocide is better and cheaper, sally's should have it for $4 a bottle. Dilute it 20% solution/80% water and let it sit for five minutes, that'll kill anything.

It turns out that bacterial spores survive many/most disinfectants.

Bacterial Spores Survive Treatment with Commercial Sterilants and Disinfectants

If you're thinking about Barbicide, check this PDF article. (PublicHealth Canada)

https://www.wdgpublichealth.ca/site...s/Disinfection Chart Aesthetics HPDCD(P)3.pdf

Buy yourself a few bottles of 90% isopropyl alcohol, fill up a jar with a sealed lid, and drop your razors in for 15 minutes. Bacteria will explode, as the alcohol disrupts the cellular walls. Encapsulated viruses have their coating denatured (Herpes). Unencapsulated viruses, such as Hep. A, it does nothing to, but then almost _nothing_ affects that kind of virus. Now, to calm those who might panic, most viruses have a 'lives outside of a host' viability of less than a day; Hep. A is up to a month, and Hep C three weeks. Smallpox is apparently 'decades', but has been eradicated at this point.

So, if you buy a razor from someone, if you're absolutely paranoid about it, as part of the initial cleaning, put it in alcohol for 10-15 minutes, then don't shave with it for a month. You'll have a safe razor to shave with.

Bluntly, if you're rabidly concerned about

I repainted numbers on my Fatboy with a permanent marker. It looks like new.

IMG_20170221_205719.jpg

I figured that if I end up losing the enamel in the numbers, I'll simply paint new enamel into the indentions, wipe off the excess, then heat the razor to set the enamel paint.

It's safe to soak a Gillette Adjustable with painted numbers in Barbicide. Ten minutes is enough time. I had no problem with mine.

Just don't forget it's in there, a short soak won't hurt it, but a long one will, dont ask me how I know......

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your advice. It will hopefully be arriving soon. It will be my first vintage Gillette I've bought. I have my Grandfather's Tech Ball end but it is too light for me.

Thank you all for your advice. It will hopefully be arriving soon. It will be my first vintage Gillette I've bought. I have my Grandfather's Tech Ball end but it is too light for me.

If a ball end Tech is too light I would suggest starting at 4 or 5 on the slim. Just make sure when you turn the knob the doors are open. You can damage the adjustment mechanism if you don't.

You can leave the doors closed when you adjust. It won't hurt to open them, but it is not necessary. None of the original instructions for the Fat Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable say to open the doors when adjusting. In fact, it is easy to conclude from the wording that you can adjust on the fly, i.e. without loosening the doors.

Or you could do a soak in Efferdent denture cleaner tablet (20/$1.00 at discount stores) - kills 99.9% of bacteria and helps loosen and break-up scum and deposits.
I'm going to have to try this. I use generic denture cleaner on my water reservoir in my CPAP. Does is hurt zamak stuff?

Top Bottom