What's new

Ball End Tech vs Fat Handle Tech

I enjoy shaving with my ball-end Tech, one of my first DE razors since abandoning the trendy never ending game of adding more blades to a new razor. My only gripe with it would be getting a better grip on the thin (for my hands) handle. I thought buying a fat handled Tech would solve the problem. I was wrong. For me, they are not the same cutting instrument. I thought I would have the same platform but with a better grip. I even swapped the same blade. The fat handled Tech is far too mild and not nearly as good (a relative term, I know). My question is thus - is this a common experience or just my warped thinking. Are these basically the same razor as far as agressiveness is concerned?
Many thanks and,
Cheers,
Dave

I found the same thing with the fat handled tech. Not as aggressive as the thinner handled ones. If you want something fatter, and aggressive, have you considered a Red Tip Super Speed?

BTW, Semper Fi! Fellow Marine here.

I shoulda known by your fine, manly avatar!
Thanks for the info - I am running scared of the Red Tip based on what I have learned here. I haven't shaved with a DE sine the mid-1960's and for now am working my way back to a Fat Boy (my starter).

I like your avatar as well! I believe that is Rick Blaine and Captain Renault, just before the start of Casablanca's closing credits. This could be the start of a....

Fatboys are well respected razors around here. Keep your eyes on the BST and you may find a good one for a decent price. It is for sure the heftiest razor Gillette made. Don't fear the Red Tips aggressive reputation though, it's not as aggressive as a fatboy dialed up.

I shoulda known by your fine, manly avatar!
Thanks for the info - I am running scared of the Red Tip based on what I have learned here. I haven't shaved with a DE sine the mid-1960's and for now am working my way back to a Fat Boy (my starter).

The aggressiveness of the Red Tip is vastly overstated. The Red Tip is aggressive when compared against other Superspeeds of the same period. It is in fact, however, less aggressive than the Merkur HD that seems to be the de facto recommendation for all newbies.

Nothing at all to be scared of, the Red Tip will provide a very close, comfortable, wonderful shave. :thumbup:

Too simple a suggestion for a dumb grunt like me to have thought of first!
I'll give it a trial and get back tomorrow; bloodied or not.

What about weight and weight distribution differences along with hand feel? I like the fat handle better both for grip and balance - as a result, get a better shave!

But then again, this week I'm the guy shaving with a worn-plated, brown tarnished copper "new" with a pitted fat tech handle and loving it!!

Another thing you can try is (temporarily) adding weight to the fat handle. Easiest is to buy some solder, cut it into lengths and drop them into the (hollow) handle.

Combine that with the head swap and you might really have something!

- Chris

A blue tip might be closer to the Tech than the Red actually. I keep finding myself back with a plain flair tip '64 Super Speed myself. It just works.

I'm keeping my numbers modest with the adjustables. If the blade gap wiki is to be believed, the Tech/Blue tip come out close to an adjustable at "1", while a red tip would only be up to a "3". That's as far as I go comfortably.

The Merkur HD clocks in just under the "4", and north of there lies only heartbreak and discontent for this little shaver at least.

The head with the triangular-shaped slots in the platform is considered more aggressive than those with the rectangular slots. Check out which heads you have. I don't believe the handle will have much to do with the aggressiveness.

Top Bottom