What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

SOTD:
Lush Kalamazoo face and beard wash
Proraso white preshave
DR Harris Windsor
Macduffs Lilacs in Bloom
WR1 .74 OC
Silver Star 1
Classic 2 Super
1000005508.jpg

Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS 🙂

Our Lilac bush's leaves just exploded over the weekend so it inspired my after shave choice. I finished up my Windsor sample today so tomorrow so I have to pick a new one tomorrow!

It's weird being at work this week, knowing I have an end date. I'll finish up my in flight projects and leave behind a positive legacy.🙂

Cheers!

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Balin I'm soooo glad we left the inner/near inner city of Calgary and fled to the burbs, no more lilacs!!! So many lilac bushes here that the scent gets overpowering.

Exactly why I never could walk into a popourriy shop, or an Alba Crombi & Finch shop, they love to bath their shops in the scent. Some folks don't understand the simple concept, less is more folks, less is more. I'm the type of person who is prone to headaches, I get them quickly in scents that are too powerful, as you put it, overpowering.

@Balin I'm soooo glad we left the inner/near inner city of Calgary and fled to the burbs, no more lilacs!!! So many lilac bushes here that the scent gets overpowering.

Exactly why I never could walk into a popourriy shop, or an Alba Crombi & Finch shop, they love to bath their shops in the scent. Some folks don't understand the simple concept, less is more folks, less is more. I'm the type of person who is prone to headaches, I get them quickly in scents that are too powerful, as you put it, overpowering.
I love the smell of lilacs, it always reminds me that spring is here! I do get that it can be too much though.

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
DR Harris Twenty Nine
Clubman Milk
WR1 .74 OC
Silver Star 2
OG Shavemac D01 Silvertip 22/46

1000005537.jpg

Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS 🙂

It was my first try with the Twenty Nine sample, but I am on the fence about the scent. There is some spice to it, so maybe this is not the time of year for this. I am getting antsy to move back to hard soaps or croaps that I can load off the puck. I bought the cream samples to try out the scents and have found that I prefer soaps over creams. The Silver Star performed well and more details are in my post in Blade Bonanza thread.

I used my original D01 Silvertip today too, and it seemed denser and softer than my newer one. It could be that more use has softened up. I will take my newer one for a spin tomorrow. Lol, it could be bad memory because I have been skipping more shaves lately.

I have a project that should wrap up at work tomorrow, then its the weekend. I think I will be doing some courses to brush up my skill while I can still get them free from my employer 🤣. I hope the forum is boring this weekend so that I do not get distracted by the shenanigans! 🤣

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
DR Harris Twenty Nine
Tabac
WR1 .74 OC
Silver Star 3
Duke 3 2-band Silvertip
1000005564.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

I had a comfortable shave today with little to no alum or aftershave feedback. I don't often use my Duke 3 2-band, but I think it will get a bit more use in the future. My mother insisted on always giving me a Christmas present even though I was grown, with grown children. She didn't know what to get me for most of my adult years so she would always give me money to buy something 'frivolous'. The Duke 3 2-band was my first expensive brush that she funded for Christmas 2021. I can blame her for my brush addiction 🙂.

Unfortunately, she passed last night but I wanted to feel close to her today and will continue using it to think of her. My mother was 82 years old. She was the 5th of 6 sisters and the first and only to attend and graduate University with a BSc. She attended university in late 50s when there were not many women taking Sciences. She worked various jobs before having my sister and I then stayed home to raise us until I was 10 years old. She found her calling teaching math, chemistry, biology and physics at a local college. It was a surprise to get the call last night, but my wife and I were able to be at her side until the end. Mom you will be missed 🌹.

April has sure been a kick in the cahones. I am a firm believer that you are never dealt more than you can handle and our family will get through this. Here's to happier days 🍻

Top Bottom